Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

A Lion rework

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Hero & Item Ideas » A Lion rework 4 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by delta17 » March 12, 2018 10:47pm | Report

A Lion Rework

His lore states that he is supposed to be the sole practitioner of the Demon Witch tradition, even as far as Rubick recognizing his rare sorceries. Yet ironically, Lion is pretty much a copy-cat hero with 3 of his 4 spells butchered from other heroes.
So I'm just thinking of what if we gave him a complete rework without destroying the essence of what it means to play as Lion. He is an early-game threat that is hard to lane against. Mostly focused on strong crowd controls. But by the end of the day, my Lion rework might be too different from the DotA's one true Lion in your opinion, but I did my best in preserving his essence, okay?

Recent Updates:

March 2018

Changed to vector unit/ground targeted ability. From the target unit/point, 2 earth spikes will be created. One travels in the main targeted direction of the vector, and the 2nd earth spike will travel in the opposite direction. The spell will have increased reliability especially for the pro players so I nerfed the cooldown and stun by 6 and 0.2 respectively.

Vector-targeting is not really that difficult for new players to learn, especially since this can directly target an enemy unit as the central origin of the spikes. Plus the game could use more Vector targeting abilities.

Cast Range
Spikes Travel Distance
Spikes Radius
Damage
Stun Duration
MANA
COOLDOWN
NEW VALUES
: 500 (+75)
: 400
: 125
: 80 / 140 / 200 / 260
: 1.2 / 1.6 / 2.0 / 2.4
: 100 / 120 / 140 / 160
: 18
CHANGED FROM
: 500 (+75 , +1000)
: 825 (+75 , +1000)

: 1.4 / 1.8 / 2.2 / 2.6

: 12

NOTES :

Removed the slow, since I'm putting the slow in his 3rd ability. if target is a hero, it pauses the target's ability cooldowns while also speeding up all his spells' cooldowns. if target is a creep, it only speeds up Mana Drain's own cooldown.

Cast Range
Link Break Distance
Max Channel Time
Mana Drain per Second
Move Speed Slow
CD Acceleration per second
_Search Radius
_Max Targets
MANA
COOLDOWN
NEW VALUES
: 850 (+75)
: 1200 (+75)
: 5
: 20 / 40 / 60 / 120
:
: 0.5 / 0.75 / 1 / 1.25
: 3
: 10
: 17 / 14 / 11 / 8
CHANGED FROM

: 14% / 16% / 18% / 20%
: new
: 3

: 16 / 12 / 8 / 4

NOTES :

New ability: Demoncraft! A passive ability. Enemy units affected by any of Lion's spells has a chance to be severed further. Taking damage over time and decaying slow for 4 seconds. (applies break, purges)

This ability combos well with his reworked Mana Drain, since with it's low cooldown, landing a proc on this ability is easy. The slow is more powerful now with added damage so Lion can contribute to damage even when channeling Mana Drain.
ABILITY
Proc Chance
Damage / Sec
Slow
Duration
: PASSIVE
: 20%
: 30 / 45 / 60 / 75
: 20% / 30% / 40% / 50% ~ 0%
: 4

NOTES :

Hex is merged with Finger of Death. Lion's ultimate now hexes in addition to dealing the damage. The instant cast of Hex is transferred and it no longer have an effect delay.

The spell whose essence has been changed the most. A finishing move turned into an opening move.

Cast point
Cast Range
_Radius
Effect Delay
Damage
Hex duration
Hex movespeed
MANA
COOLDOWN
NEW VALUES
: 0.0 + 0.5
: 900 (+75)
: 322
: 0
: 400 / 525 / 650 (+200)
: 4
: 150
: 250 / 450 / 650
: 160 / 110 / 60
CHANGED FROM
: 0.3 + 0.5

: ( 325)
: 0.25
: 600 / 725 / 850 (+200)
: 200 / 240 / 650
: 160 / 100 / 40

Reworked Talents :

Level 25
Level 20
Level 15
Level 10
:
:
:
:
+322 AoE Finger of Death
+2 Mana Drain Multi Target
+120 Gold/Min
+90 Damage
|| OR ||
|| OR ||
|| OR ||
|| OR ||
!Demoncraft applies break
+500 Health
+200 Finger of Death Damage
+75 Cast Range

Old Talents :

Level 25
Level 20
Level 15
Level 10
:
:
:
:
+325 AoE Hex
+2 Mana Drain Multi Target
+120 Gold/Min
+90 Damage
|| OR ||
|| OR ||
|| OR ||
|| OR ||
+1000 Earth Spike Range
+500 Health
+200 Finger of Death Damage
+75 Cast Range

The cooldown reduction is handled by his new Mana Drain, and the AoE component is handled by his Lvl 25 talent. leaving the damage bonus behind, which is boring. This makes the upgrade open for new things to introduce! Here's my reworked Agh upgrade:

!Demoncraft procs purges enemy buffs. Also grants a 100% chance to proc on targets of Finger of Death.

Comments / Advanced Discussion

Math Drain

You might have noticed something: at lvl 20, with "+2 Mana Drain Multi Target" and Mana Drains's new nature to decrease spell cooldowns, you might wander if you can permastun an enemy with this method. Don't worry, fam, I got the math covered.

You landed Earth Spike, BAM! 2.4s stun on 3 heroes. You cast Mana Drain perfectly immediately after the Earth Spike, and what do you know, you started draining 3 heroes! This is now one of our new Lion's Power Fantasy! Do remember there's a 0.3 cast point so you start the channel with 2.1 secs of stun left.
  • After the 2.4 seconds, Earth Spike's remaining cooldown would be 18 - ((0.625 * 3 * 4) + 2.1 + 0.3) = 8.1 seconds
    • Quite a long time for a combo
    Wut?
  • At 3.5 seconds of channeling: 18 - ((0.625 * 3 * 7) + 3.5 + 0.3) = 1.075 seconds
    • Good. But enemies will have 2.775 seconds until the next stun. 3.5 + 0.3 - 2.4 + 1.075 + 0.3 = 2.775
    Wut?
  • At 3.9 seconds of channeling, enemies still have 2.775s to react. 3.9 + 0.3 - 2.4 + 0.675 + 0.3 = 2.775
    Wut?
  • Then it spikes at 4 seconds of channeling when it fully refreshes Earth Spike's cooldown, by which even then, opponents would have a free 2.2 seconds to do something. 4 + 0.3 - 2.4 + 0 + 0.3 = 2.2
    Wut?

Do note that, you NEED lvl 20, pick this particular talent, and precisely hit 3 heroes with the Mana Drain. You should know, Mana Drain multi-target has NO PRIORITIES. You don't have to hit anyone with Earth Spike. Just that this means that extreme situations can give you an Earth Spike with 4.6 seconds cooldown. (2.2 + 2.4)

Demoncraft

!Demoncraft is a powerful chance based passive that pretty much spells doom to whoever it procs on. However, 20% is relatively low, and since it only procs for targets of Lion's spells, Mana Drain is his only real way of proccing this ability.

Level 25 and the Aghs

Since the Agh's gives 100% proc chance on Finger of Death, both of our new Lion's level 25 talents excellently benefit from it. Lion can choose between an AoE ultimate to dispel and disable multiple heroes, or go for a powerful break on Demoncraft to make his ultimate an almost better Doom (just with 0 DPS). The break will sacrifice the AoE talent for a better single target effect. The break also apply to Lion's every spell, hence making it more versatile. Overall, a hard choice for Lvl 25 Lion.

delta17

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (22)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by The Magnus Magus » March 14, 2018 11:10am | Report
This is actually brilliant! Nice job, I especially love the new Q, having noticed myself how many spells are similar to earth spike. I also think the changes to Finger of Death are well-thought out and the simple change could drastically effect the hero's playstyle.

I'm not sure I understand what mana drain is supposed to do, though. Does it reduce enemy cooldowns or his own? What is the difference between an ability and a spell? Perhaps reword this.

Great suggestions!
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

My hero and item ideas!

The Magnus Magus

Notable (5)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by delta17 » March 14, 2018 4:31pm | Report

I'm not sure I understand what mana drain is supposed to do, though. Does it reduce enemy cooldowns or his own? What is the difference between an ability and a spell? Perhaps reword this.

Great suggestions!

An enemy hero being Mana Drained have their cooldowns paused (like Time Dilation) while simultaneously accelerates all of Lion's spell cooldowns by 0.5/0.75/1/1.25 seconds for every second it is channeled. Hmm... I think "accelerate" is the word I'm looking for. Editing it now.

I just use 'spell' and 'ability' interchangeably. But I'm referring to Lion's 3 spells. There's note that says it can't reduce item cooldowns.

Thanks man, I'm flattered.

delta17

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (22)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by BloodArena » November 11, 2020 3:31am | Report
Lion has one of the most boring kit in the game. But that's just why he is given one of the best sustained control. So that despite of how basic all abilities' effects are, being the team's primary source of things like dagger initiation, hexing slippery heroes, and multi-hero earthspike in clash makes playing lion actually exciting. And ult is just to solidify those plays.
I think the problem wih your rework is it's playstyle is a bit of undefined. The vector is great, but then why not make all other abilities revolve around it? And the ult is a bit like that of bane, which is very anti-fun for enemies. No wonder bane falls flat to any contribution to team except that of gripping one key enemy core.
I also think you should keep Lion's keyboard use frequency. The cd acceleration is creative but Lion should be able to always throw spells and not dependent on successful drain usage. Coz if Lion got no cd then what else would he do in clash.

BloodArena

Notable (1)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved