Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Spooky Hero Creation Contest!

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » News » Spooky Hero Creation Contest! 25 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » October 12, 2018 11:49am | Report

After the successful launch of our hero creation tool, we are excited to bring you yet another fun hero creation contest! Since the spooky celebration of Halloween is approaching, we are going to have a theme based contest this time where everyone will have the chance to spook us with their scary creations. More information about prizes, rules and theme can be found below! :)

Below you will find more information about the prizes and the rules. The contest starts today (October 12th) and will end in two weeks from now (October 26th); the following week the hero concepts will be judged and the winners picked (October 27th - November 3rd).

Grand Winner - Choose your Arcana

The best hero concept will win the following prize:
  • Arcana of choice + the special Hero Creation Contest badge

Honorable Mentions

We will also reward (5) concepts that didn't make it to the top but were great contenders:

Theme: Spooky Hero

We previously hosted a contest to create your dream hero, now we can say that you should create your nightmare hero! It's time to test your creativity in creating a spooky concept that brings chills to the reader. You can use any aspect of the hero to do this: lore, hero art, abilities, anything that comes to mind to make the hero interesting and scary at the same time.

If ideas aren't coming to you, think about heroes that give you the chills or make you slightly jump off the chair at times. For instance, we're really creeped out by Broodmother and we lost count how many times we've been jump scared by Ursa blinking out of nowhere and roaring us straight off the chair.

Be creative and add any element that you find fun about your hero that also helps the reader better visualize and understand the concept. And most important of all, have fun! :D

How Can I Participate?

1. Craft a new hero concept using our hero creation system. Make sure to respect the rules while creating your hero!
    • If you have already created a hero concept that respects the rules of this edition, you can update it and use it as an entry.

2. Revise and polish your hero concept, make sure it's in best form by the final day.
    • If you'd like more opinions or reviews on your hero concept just link it in this thread or ask for feedback on our Discord server. Collaboration and asking for help is both expected and encouraged. :)

3. That's it! We'll judge all the hero concepts posted during the contest period and announce the worthy winners as soon as possible!

What Are The Rules?

• The hero concept must be created using our hero creation system. Creating concept threads or linking to external websites will not count.

• You must create your hero concept during the contest period (October 12th - October 26th).

• Your hero concept must fulfill these material requirements:
    • Hero basic information (stats, primary attribute, lore)
    • At least 4 original abilities
    • An explanation on how the hero's supposed to be played

• You're allowed to make changes to your hero concept during the contest period and after the winners have been announced. Changes should not be made during the judging period (October 27th - November 3rd).

• You're allowed to create multiple entries, but you can only win once.

• Plagiarism is strictly prohibited and will automatically disqualify your entry.
    • NOTE: BBCode does not belong to any one writer and does not fall under plagiarism rules

What Will the Hero Concepts be Judged On?

Originality

Creating a unique hero is challenging and that is why we're always impressed when we see something fresh and exciting. Originality could be a new and fun interaction with the game's mechanics, crazy abilities that we haven't seen before, or maybe a cool way to mix your abilities! Remember, while crazy ideas are fun, they must be realistic. When in doubt, try picturing your concept in an actual match and see how well it'd fit!

Hero Profile

The background and personality of the hero is important. Think about your favorite hero, would it be the same without its lore and responses? Make sure to help the reader better understand and picture your hero by creating a suitable lore and abilities that fit with the concept of the hero. There have been authors that also created voice lines and interactions with other heroes, feel free to share with us anything about your hero and let your creation take life in the reader's eyes!

Flavor

We often pick heroes because we want to win or because they're fun. Sometimes we're lucky and both conditions are met! We're going to focus on the fun part for this contest, so when crafting your hero, make sure to think about both perspectives: will the hero be fun to play with and against it? '

Balance

It is not going to be the most important aspect of the judging process, but having a balanced hero will surely be a plus. If you are having trouble balancing your hero, feel free to ask us or the fellow competitors and concept enthusiasts for thoughts!

Theme

Since we have a special theme for this edition, we are going to take into consideration how well your concept fits the theme. Make sure your hero's name, lore and abilities are all created based on the competition's theme (scary hero)!

Clarity

Just like in the case of balance, this is not going to be a crucial judging indicator. However, if your hero concept is nicely formatted, the reader will most likely check out your concept and not miss out on any cool information. Use chapters, the features of our hero creation tool and BBCode to your advantage. Even though it's not mandatory, including icons for your hero and its abilities makes a huge difference!

Now, all you have to do is get started! Start crafting your hero concept now!

Fine Print

• Hero concepts must be crafted respecting the rules of this edition.

• Open to registered DOTAFire members only. Not a member? Register now and craft your hero concept!

• Contest is worldwide.

• Prizes are awarded through Steam trading.

• Contest will be closed 2 weeks from the start of the contest. (October 26th)

• After contest is closed there will be a 1 week judging period (October 27th - November 3rd).

• Participants can submit multiple entries but may win only once.

• Winners will be notified by email after the judging period and will have 7 days to claim their prize.

Feel free to ask questions in this thread. Whenever a hero concept has been posted, take a look and let the author know what you like or dislike so they can improve their work!

Have any suggestion or feedback on how to improve our hero creation system? Please let us know, we're looking forward to improving the system for the best creation experience!

Thank you all for joining, we wish you good luck and keep up the great work! :D
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by AttackHelicopter » October 13, 2018 6:13pm | Report
Your text to link here...

Is this one fair game?

AttackHelicopter

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » October 13, 2018 11:13pm | Report

Your text to link here...

Is this one fair game?

Looks like it. :D

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by delta17 » October 14, 2018 7:08pm | Report
I'll submit the half-wizard, half-"half-lion half-ghost" Gigalogas, the Ectobeast as he seems to fit the criteria.

The reader's nightmare? This hero has x2 health bar NOT +1 health bar, meaning he basically have 4 lives just with Aegis! S P O O P Y !

I might submit a second concept if I have time.

delta17

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (22)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Pahpohranger » October 15, 2018 4:22am | Report
May the winner choose rubick's arcana?

Pahpohranger

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » October 15, 2018 5:32am | Report
@delta17

Sounds neat :D and horrifying!

@Pahpohranger

If you don't mind waiting for it, that sounds fine by me!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheNightsWrath » October 16, 2018 10:50pm | Report
Please take a look at my concept: https://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/concept/aida-510

I would love some feedback! This hero is strongly influenced by Hel from the MOBA Smite (Including the hero icon, which is Hel).

I wanted to create a hero that could switch between lane support and team fight without being to OP. I'm not sure how OP Aida will be, so please help me out! I also wanted to create a hero that had a lore tied in with a current hero in game, and Abaddon provided the perfect place for her!

Thanks in advance for any help I get :D

TheNightsWrath

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sernyx » October 17, 2018 1:02am | Report

Oh, it doesn't show anything. Maybe you forgot to publish it?

I love stance switching heroes in Smite! and totally don't play Ullr 99% of the time
Would like to see how you handled Hel's idea transition into Dota.
Ancient Apparition bought back to stun EternalEnvy who has Double Damage rune. Envy didn't like. - OR
AA bb to cc dd EE.
EE: ff gg

Dota is fun ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My Beastmaster guide

Sernyx

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheNightsWrath » October 17, 2018 10:28am | Report
That would be accurate! Oops! Thanks for the heads up! It should be viewable now! :D

TheNightsWrath

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » October 18, 2018 11:36am | Report
R1ngleader wrote:

Hey. So I have nearly finished my hero concept. And to add icing onto the cake, I created some artworks that fitting the hero concept on imgur. It seems fine when you look through the guide because the pictures show up but not in the concept list. It does not show any picture that I have uploaded and this worries me that Judges might think that I'm a lazy creator. Please help. What should I do to fix this?

Hey!

Can you please link us the concept? :)

Edit: Found it. Should be good now!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved