Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Grimstroke First Impression. And my thoughts on the rise of enablers.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Grimstroke First Impression. And my thoughts on the rise of enablers. 1 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by delta17 » August 24, 2018 9:49pm | Report
Official Dota2 Grimstroke page.

STROKE OF FATE is like reverse Powershot. That instead of decreasing in damage for each enemy hit, it increases.

PHANTOM'S EMBRACE is okay, its definitely a simple ability. It's a targeted ability, not a skillshot as I first thought when I saw the ability.

INK SWELL is like reverse Cursed Crown. That instead of casting it on an enemy, you cast it on an ally. More utility. And then it goes to have attack immunity, movespeed bonus, Ion Shell-like DPS in addition to more damage and stun by the end of it (!) Please nerf.

And lastly SOULBIND. Is actually pretty unique! Now, as someone who's been reading hero concepts as a weird hobby, I can say that I'm 90% sure that I've seen this ability in a dota concept before. I'm not sure if I find it again though. If someone found it, PLEASE tell me so we can now know Icefrog's account.

OVERALL

I think this hero is a bit lackluster in gameplay and individual abilities when compared to MK, Pango, or DW. His ultimate is his best feature and is the only part of him where people can expect something. And what the ****, he only has ONE ability to combo SOULBIND with himself!? Meh, despite that, I might still like it because dota 2 could use some more unique "enablers" that operates outside of mere buffs.

ENABLERS?

For the sake of this thread, "enablers" are supports who bring the most out of an ally and perhaps the entire team, in contrast to "disablers". Io is perhaps the most unique enabler in the game and the majority of enablers are just heroes that gives buffs (lame!). In these past years, There ARE powerful and unique enablers that Lord Icefrog kept introducing in the form of Aghanim's Scepter. And the most notable of these are:

Now while on topic, Grimstroke is a hero that is focused on both disabling and enabling. The first two abilities are decent crowd controls, but the last two spells are a good enables in their own right. However, SOULBIND remained among the rare and unique enabling spells for being a debuff, affecting enemies instead of the usual buffs. The only other spell that does this, at the top of my head is Fatal Bonds, and going for a stretch, Vacuum. Asking why Vacuum is an enabler? Think of how the pro scene utilize this ability: In theory, a 180 AoE WD Maledict can hit all heroes within 550 radius if Dark Seer gets involved! Black Hole after Vacuum is pretty much an equivalent of a 550 radius Black Hole, or 550 radius Hoof Stomp, or *brrrr* Storm Hammer. Magnetic Field is also a another unique enabling spell that I absolutely adore.

Icefrog realize that we need more of these awesome abilities that are great to make a full combo around.

SHAMELESS PLUG (you may stop reading now)
Fræʃir's Shadow Zone is one of another cool kind of enabler that I would love to see more in Dota.

delta17

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (22)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved