Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Who, When, Where, How annnnnnd Why!!!!

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Who, When, Where, How annnnnnd Why!!!! 36 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » June 5, 2014 2:01am | Report
ok this is what i thought would be a good exercise.

basically. someone writes a draft and where they will lane and why and then the next person writes a counter draft where they will lane and why. then people comment on what would have been better or worse. just a little exercise in counters, synergy and viability.

plus i love the discussion that drafting invokes among us. :)

ok

Kunkka - Mid
Magnus - Offlane
disrupter - roaming/safe lane trilane support
faceless void - safe lane hard carry
Ancient apparition - safe lane support

why?

kunnkka does well against ranged heroes in mid as well as melee.
magnus offlane allows his lvls plus he has an escape.
disrupter roaming and safelane has good ganking potential with glimpse and kinetic field.
faceless void late game wipes the floor
ancient apparition safelane support owns with slows harass and a global presence.

plus .... imagine that team fight...

draft checks?
lategame.
teamfight.
global.
spread.
space creation.
ganking.

ok .....Shoot! :)

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by FleetAU » June 5, 2014 2:31am | Report
counterdraft:
Invoker-Mid
Rubick-Safelane support
Doom Bringer-Jungle
Weaver-Safelane
Lich-Solo offlane

why?
Invoker is a pretty good counter to kunkka due to his passive hp regen and you can't get off any shiny combos if you have no mana, EMP. also provided he stays back can disrupt your wombo combo with Tornado aso giving Rubick time to steal awesome spells
Rubick-Gives the lockdown for weaver to get kills and reduces damage from your high damage heroes, also steals nice spells like Reverse Polarity and ghost ship
Lich-Putting him solo offlane isn't a bad lane due to exelent creep control and the early Chain Frost will be great, you chrono on top of rp, meh Chain Frost and Spell Steal
Weaver-Gives split push and can dodge out of the big wombo combo, also does a lot of damage allowing to take down your many squishy heroes
doom bringer is the tanky component, completely counters initiation and wombo combos as he can just Doom the most dangerous hero. Also like weaver can take down squishy heroes easily and with Devour some really nice bonus auras for the team like an alpha wolf letting weaver dish out huge damage without to many items

edit: forgot doom
Do as I say, not what I do

FleetAU

Notable (16)
Steam: Fleet™
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » June 5, 2014 4:09am | Report
I think the doom is legit in fleets draft becouse the ganking potential of smoggels supports is pretty damn bad.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » June 5, 2014 5:35am | Report
FleetAU wrote:

counterdraft:
Invoker-Mid
Rubick-Safelane support
Doom Bringer-Jungle
Weaver-Safelane
Lich-Solo offlane

Counter-Counter-Draft:
Position 1 - Wraith King - Aggressive Tri-Lane Carry
Position 2 - Shadow Fiend - Solo Mid
Position 3 - Batrider - Solo Safe Lane
Position 4 - Ancient Apparition - Semi-Support
Position 5 - Vengeful Spirit - Hard Support

Wraith King because not only is he a good Carry with adequate Farm, but he is amazing in an Aggressive Tri-Lane since he can easily secure Kills with Wraithfire Blast, especially with a good Support to follow up with Chain Stuns
Shadow Fiend, because an Aggressive Tri-Lane gives him plenty of breathing space to get Farm and become uncontrollable after a while. Also, if Invoker goes Quas- Wex, he'll have an easier time getting those early Souls at lvl1
Batrider, because he can take any lane, but the Safe Lane + Jungle will give him an easy 8 minute Blink Dagger allowing him to get waaaaay ahead of the Lich in terms of effectiveness. He's also ideal if the Aggresssive Tri-Lane...somehow fails against the Dual Lane + Jungler...pff 8{3
Ancient Apparition, because he has amazing damage output from a lvl1 Chiling Touch, he has plenty of setup for Cold Feet, add in Ice Blast and he really hurts.
Vengeful Spirit, because she offers Vengeance Aura to stack with Vampiric Aura for amazing Pushing potential. She is a powerful Ganker. After getting some Kills on the Weaver and the Doom Bringer, she can march up to Invoker and give Shadow Fiend some easy Kills 8{3
Timminatorr wrote:

I think the doom is legit in fleets draft becouse the ganking potential of smoggels supports is pretty damn bad.

No-Stun-Doto, a common mistake -.-

However, something as greedy as only 1 Support only works as a Counter to Passive lineups, imagine if that Support had to buy Sentries and Dust to counter a Bounty Hunter 8{(

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » June 5, 2014 7:59am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

Counter-Counter-Draft:
Position 1 - Wraith King - Aggressive Tri-Lane Carry
Position 2 - Shadow Fiend - Solo Mid
Position 3 - Batrider - Solo Safe Lane
Position 4 - Ancient Apparition - Semi-Support
Position 5 - Vengeful Spirit - Hard Support

Counter draft for Xyrus's Counter-Counter-Draft:

Position 1 - Anti-Mage
Position 2 - Queen of Pain
Position 3 - Bristleback
Position 4 - Earth Spirit
Position 5 - Lion

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » June 5, 2014 8:08am | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

Position 1 - Anti-Mage
Position 3 - Bristleback
Position 5 - Lion

I love this, especially the Batrider vs Bristleback Lane. Sticky Napalm + Viscous Nasal Goo == Magic Wand Gaming 8{D

I can't help but feel that there's a better alternative to AM though. He can burn Mana, but only if he doesn't get rekt but Chain Stuns 1st. A Mirana with a Diffusal Blade would be much more fearsome imo 8{3

Fyi, I can deal with Split-Push, it's called Push before they can Split-Push! 8{D

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » June 5, 2014 8:15am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

I can't help but feel that there's a better alternative to AM though. He can burn Mana, but only if he doesn't get rekt but Chain Stuns 1st. A Mirana with a Diffusal Blade would be much more fearsome imo 8{3

Fyi, I can deal with Split-Push, it's called Push before they can Split-Push! 8{D

All lies. I didn't pick AM for the Mana Burn, I picked him because Wraith King and Lifestealer (second one kinda irelevant here, but still) both suck against Manta Style users.And even if caught out, Geomagnetic Grip says hi. But he shouldn't anyway.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » June 5, 2014 9:28am | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

Position 1 - Anti-Mage
Position 3 - Bristleback
Position 5 - Lion

my draft

Position 1 - Spectre
Position 2 - Outworld Devourer
Position 3 - Slardar
Position 4 - Disruptor
Position 5 - Silencer

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » June 5, 2014 10:35am | Report
KoDyAbAbA wrote:

Position 1 - Spectre
Position 3 - Slardar
Position 4 - Disruptor
Position 5 - Silencer

No-stun Doto again!
Anyways, I'm gonna answer with some uncommon picks (besides Brew) because it's more fun. This is the order in which I'd pick them in an average CM match, probably:

Mid lane: Brewmaster as he can build both Shiva's and Cuirass to mitigate the physical DPS and does a lot in the mid game.
Off-lane: Nyx Assassin because he can scout while invisible and get easy kills versus lone Heroes. Plus, he'll punish those late game carries (Spectre) with early game presence.
Semi-support: Sand King because his ultimate will wreck everyone in teamfights and, usually, isn't stopped by the Silencer as he initiates first. SK + Brew should be more than enough to cover early game teamfighting, so the carry I listed below won't need all the damage "common" carries need.
Hard support: Bane because he can keep Heroes in place and helps Nyx, plus he can reduce physical damage and is an excellent roamer.
Carry: Necrophos because - again - he can build Shiva's and an Agh's will make him super strong versus a late game Spectre; he's also good at pushing early towers and forcing early 5-man teamfights with an early Mek. Plus, Necro vs OD... You know OD's Intelligence won't do much to him.

Dunno if that's the best team you could get, but I kinda like carry Necrolyte and all the mid game aggression versus a Spectre + Slardar. I guess they'd run an aggressive trilane, and Necro is also excellent at keeping his lane healthy.

Wulfstan wrote:

Position 1 - Anti-Mage
Position 3 - Bristleback
Position 5 - Lion

I think Anti-Mage would get wrecked by Xyrus's aggressive trilane.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » June 5, 2014 10:40am | Report
KoDyAbAbA wrote:

Wulfstan wrote:

Position 1 - Anti-Mage
Position 3 - Bristleback
Position 5 - Lion

my draft

Position 1 - Spectre
Position 3 - Slardar
Position 4 - Disruptor
Position 5 - Silencer

Is that an offlane slardar or some weird agressive silencer slardar dual lane?
If so then bristle will wreck spectre+disruptor.

A pretty bad draft imo.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved