Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

So.... Let's discuss about Sniper!

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » So.... Let's discuss about Sniper! 13 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » October 31, 2014 9:30am | Report
All these time, whenever I felt like playing Sniper or randoming him, I always go with the basic skill build and item builds (I am a horrendous Sniper player btw).

This is the most basic builds that I used to follow:

Shrapnel = 1
Headshot = 2
Take Aim = 3
Assassinate = 4

3-2-3-2-3-4-2-2-3

The logic was quite clear why I maxed Headshot first after getting 3 levels in Take Aim. I did it because 3 levels in Take Aim was enough to stay outside of tower's range, and Headshot was just too good. While Shrapnel was -or so I thought- useless, except for the vision.

And for items I liked to went power thread --> Maelstrom --> Manta Style --> Mjollnir, since I hate Shadow Blade.

However, I have been playing him differently lately, and I think this build is fun, in addition to being quite... effective.

So instead of maxing Headshot and Take Aim first, I go like this:

3-1-1-2-1-4-1-3-2-2-2

The idea is maxing Shrapnel first. Since I started playing him this way, I usually melt tier 1 tower of my lane in around 5 minutes, and there is no way to stop it, unless by keeping the Sniper WAY far from the tower (which is further than Shrapnel range, quite hard) or using glyph. Not to mention the move/attack slow and damage usually is able to keep enemy carry hard to farm, and push their waves quickly.

Then I also went with the item build of Wraith Band --> Phase Boots --> Ring of Aquila --> 2x Sage's Mask --> Blink Dagger --> Orchid Malevolence

This item build was done to keep my MP regeneration strong enough to spam Shrapnel and melt tower, as well as nuking with Assassinate. This build also focuses more on mobility with Blink Dagger and Phase Boots, jumping into trees and attacking them from Take Aim range. Orchid is also somehow very dangerous on him, since the attack speed combined with Headshot is very dangerous. Not to mention the soul burn effect that can actually turn situations around.

I did this a few times, and I think it is quite effective. However, I am not a good Sniper player, so what do you guys think? If any of you is a good Sniper player and is interested in this build, why don't you try it out? Probably make a guide in the process :p
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
Steam: Yzreel
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fumbles16x » October 31, 2014 11:17am | Report
Just looking at it, I think Urn of Shadows might be better than Ring of Aquila. Blink Dagger + Orchid Malevolence just screams ganker to me, and the urn compliments that very well. You have a little more strength, a heal/nuke, and it adds into your mana regen. The only downside to it is that it won't buff your creeps for pushing. It's pretty minor though, so I think it just depends on what your preference is.

I don't know if this playstyle is better than the typical Sniper build, but I can see it working. Constant tower pressure and a blink to get away. I think you need at least a Yasha in there for some extra attack speed and move speed, because even after a blink it's VERY possible for enemies to catch you. Force Staff is a very viable alternative to Blink Dagger as well, especially given the added intel on this mana intensive build.

Anyway, it's interesting to say the least. Sniper is horrendously boring to play, so anything to liven him up is OK to me.

Fumbles16x

Notable (4)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » October 31, 2014 11:31am | Report
I play him almost the same way. I only change the items:

Tranquils
Soul Ring
Blink/Force Staff
Dagon/Necrobook

btw, How do I make the item/skiil names/hero names a hyperlink?

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » October 31, 2014 11:40am | Report
@Fumbles: Why have I never thought of urn? It is certainly a useful item for this sort of build lol, but I guess it is a personal preferences. Wraith Band is quite needed for Sniper since his last hit damage really, really sucks, and Ring of Aquila is pretty useful to build up from there.

For the other items, what I wrote was just the basic core, which would need to be expanded according the situation (I mostly go Maelstrom or Yasha to mjolnir or Manta Style, and sometimes going with Desolator).

@USH: Hmm... I can see the Tranquil Boots needed if you focus more on roaming, but I myself prefer to stay in line -at least until I get Blink Dagger. So for me Tranquil Boots works less compared to Phase Boots, especially since it increases my mobility, but I guess it's personal preference again lol. I really don't think dagon is good on Sniper though, Necronomicon... maybe.

To get hyperlink, just put this:
Code:
[[item name]], [[hero name]] or [[skill name]]
Thanks for commenting :D
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
Steam: Yzreel
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by oldKainen » October 31, 2014 12:12pm | Report
Maxing Shrapnel is definitely the best skill build you can do. I like to max it by 8, because Sniper stats before level 6 are pretty low.

I like to go Wraith Band -> Power Treads -> Ring of Aquila -> Drum of Endurance -> Then some mobility + damage, like Manta Style and Orchid Malevolence, for example. Drums can be replaced, but the overall stats plus the movespeed bonus is to good on Sniper. Blink Dagger and Force Staff are good options over it, if you prefer their actives (who adds a lot to the table of Sniper).

oldKainen

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (14)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » October 31, 2014 1:04pm | Report
Thanks for the info :D and i buy dagon because its simply the best item in game!
Or maybe I just play nyx a lot...Heck there was a time when instead of supporting the team with lich I used to rush a dagon XD

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fumbles16x » October 31, 2014 2:41pm | Report
I was actually making a Sniper guide once upon a time which included a dedicated pusher build. Blink, Desolator, Necronomicon, Manta Style or something. It works pretty well actually.

Fumbles16x

Notable (4)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » October 31, 2014 4:53pm | Report
Shrapnel first is actually legit.

You could do this mid with a Bottle or side with a mana charger like Keeper of the Light.

Orchid Malevolence sounds legit, but you wont have actual mana problems. His spells arent THAT spammable, and he has an abnormal 2.6. INT gain(!). Although it could be pretty good if you are constantly ganking.
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » October 31, 2014 8:37pm | Report
So...you have chosen to become my disciple, eh? >8{D

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/71164597/matches?date=&faction=&hero=sniper&lobby_type=&game_mode=&region=&duration=

The only problem is that Pushing Sniper back across the River isn't that hard if you have a good Flash Farming Skill...which most Solo Mids do.

The best way to build is Ring of Aquila, Blink Dagger, Boots of Travel, Manta Style, Eye of Skadi. Get that Mobility for Split-Pushing, then just Tank-up and send your Illusions to rat Towers. It's a terrible build, but I once made a Skywrath Mage cry SALTY TEAR OF RAGE with this build 8{3

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/785474577

#RatDotoSniperIsBestSniper

Fumbles16x wrote:

Blink Dagger + Orchid Malevolence just screams ganker to me, and the urn compliments that very well.

This Item build screams "too greedy for a Ganker" to me. Either get maybe 1 Item and start Ganking once you hit 6, or focus on Farming/Pushing.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » October 31, 2014 8:56pm | Report
Diffusal Blade is actually ****ing amazing on sniper.

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved