Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

most overrated things in DotA

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » most overrated things in DotA 25 posts - page 1 of 3

Poll Question:

what are the most overrated things in DotA?
Drow ranger's push.
Riki's invisibility.
sniper after good farm.
Mask Of Madness.
double wraith-band on all carries :/
first item=manta (low-level pub stuff)
Pudge
"no boots deso"
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » January 8, 2014 3:11am | Report
for the Lulz

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » January 8, 2014 3:54am | Report
Drow at everything (what do you mean push?) , sniper at everything ( no hard carry steroid apart from an annoying but impossible to chain bash. Bloodseeker at everything exept getting kills AFTER a teamfight is done, while doing nothing during the fight.
Buying vanguard on heroes who have enough mana to buy mekanism(AKA better vanguard) instead.
Shadow blade on heroes like gyro viper and luna, and alltogether when youre behind.
Aghanim on carries like gyro and luna. And horrible upgraded ult's like outword devourer.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » January 8, 2014 4:42am | Report
So many things to vote, lol. I actually voted for Riki because Drow's push is really noticeable (and not overrated at all) and Sniper only requires a Shadow Blade - so not that much farm - to be able to win in pubs. I hate double Wraith Band (and double Null and double Bracer, except on Zeus) because it offers nothing to your mid game and the stats increase is minimal: buy a Drum of Endurance if you want more stats, Wraith Band and Null Talisman only serve as a first-purchase item (usually taken at the beginning of the game with a Healing Salve and two pieces of Tangos from the supports) to last-hit better.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » January 8, 2014 6:42am | Report
I can't decide, Mask of Madness and double Wraith Band/ Null Talisman are things that really irk me.

Not too sure about "No Boots Deso". Are you talking about Weaver? because I can see it working on a Weaver who doesn't have to worry about getting a Linken's Sphere, e.g. he's paired with a good Support Abaddon and has enough space to Push Towers like a Baws. Situational, but only bad on other Heroes.
Timminatorr wrote:

Buying vanguard on heroes who have enough mana to buy mekanism(AKA better vanguard) instead.

...actually add something like this ^ and I will vote that Vanguard is horrible on most Heroes -_-

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » January 8, 2014 7:27am | Report
i assume we are talking about low level pubs .... cause invisibility is quite something in such games Oo (getting the first detection when Clink or something is already 10-0)

also quite alot of those things work rather well in low level games ....except for the Wraith Band stacking, which is horrible anyway - so i guess i would go with this.

also i would totally support the "vanguard on every strength hero" options, since that is what i saw alot when i was still a noob :3

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » January 8, 2014 7:41am | Report
L0bstz0r wrote:

also i would totally support the "vanguard on every strength hero" options, since that is what i saw alot when i was still a noob :3

Timminatorr wrote:

Xyrus wrote:

Vanguard is horrible on most Heroes -_-

No, it isn't. It's just bad on hard carries (Anti-Mage, Spectre, Void... A Drum of Endurance is better on them), but on Heroes that need to tower dive it does its job quite well: Ember Spirit, Doom, Juggernaut, Riki and Ursa(?) all benefit from it. Going Vanguard + Soul Ring solves all the problems for the majority of mana dependent non-INT Heroes: a huge amount of HP regen, infinite mana and the ability to tower dive with ease or survive an extra nuke. Maybe it's bad on Riki (who needs to get his Diffusal Blade to start ganking) and is outclassed by Vladmir's Offering on Ursa, but it does work with them, too.

Also, the Mekansm is better than the Vanguard only on ranged Heroes: I'd rather save some gold and get a "****py" item if my team has a backup Hero for it; Drums are the other choice and I honestly find them way more useful than both the previous items.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » January 8, 2014 8:35am | Report

No, it isn't. It's just bad on hard carries (Anti-Mage, Spectre, Void... A Drum of Endurance is better on them), but on Heroes that need to tower dive it does its job quite well: Ember Spirit, Doom, Juggernaut, Riki and Ursa(?) all benefit from it. Going Vanguard + Soul Ring solves all the problems for the majority of mana dependent non-INT Heroes: a huge amount of HP regen, infinite mana and the ability to tower dive with ease or survive an extra nuke. Maybe it's bad on Riki (who needs to get his Diffusal Blade to start ganking) and is outclassed by Vladmir's Offering on Ursa, but it does work with them, too.

Also, the Mekansm is better than the Vanguard only on ranged Heroes: I'd rather save some gold and get a "****py" item if my team has a backup Hero for it; Drums are the other choice and I honestly find them way more useful than both the previous items.

Can't believe you forgot Bristleback...

The main advantage as you say is the Ability to Dive Towers, making it a great option of Heroes like Bristleback and Night Stalker, since they can capitalise on the Early Game Power before their (and the Vanguard's) usefulness drops...and that's where my problem lies.

Assuming you don't finish before the 30:00 mark, what good does having a Vanguard do you? A Drum of Endurance is always useful, even if only for the Aura + Active, an Armlet of Mordiggian may not scale well into the Late Game, but the Armour does cause your EHP to scale with your HP at least. A Vladimir's Offering scales quite well into the Late Game and does so for your entire Team.

If the game goes Late, does that 1113 Gold Investment pay off? Probably on a Bristleback who's going to be plenty Tanky in the Late Game anyway thanks to his High HP and Passive, maybe on some other Heroes Night Stalker/ Juggernaut assuming they have a good Armour and or HP Item by this point, like Assault Cuirass or Shiva's Guard/ Heart of Tarrasque or Satanic, etc. as well as plenty of Kills + Towers, but I honestly doubt it.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » January 9, 2014 12:02am | Report

I dont really see why you would get it on juggernaut or ember spirit. Jugger doesnt need the regen AT ALL and if you want HP just buy a drums or point booster.
Same for ember spirit, if you want HP get a drums or even a bracer.
Even on doom you can go for mekanism.
And its just horrible on riki, becouse he needs agi items to start doing damage.
Usually if you go vanguard you must it around 10 minutes. After 15 minutes its not worth it.
The heroes that i would concider buying it on are: slardar if i am doing well in lane, and to have the regen in lane so i can contest my enemies in lane and kill them, and can still get my blink before 20 minutes. The same for night stalker, but only in side lane and if im doing REALLY well. Bristleback if i dont have to rush blademail to deal with a great 1v1 manfight hero or if dont have an ommniknight/dazzle/abbadon in my team.
Ive also seen people get it on spectre, but i really dont know, spectre's item builds confuses me, i suppose she just sucks at farming so you just have pick her aling with a team that can take fights so she can farm heroes instead.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » January 9, 2014 4:25am | Report
Spectre Vanguard is bad. Again, definitely not on hard carries.

On Riki it works. Only if you can get it early enough though.
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » January 9, 2014 5:07am | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

I dont really see why you would get it on juggernaut or ember spirit. Jugger doesnt need the regen AT ALL and if you want HP just buy a drums or point booster.
Same for ember spirit, if you want HP get a drums or even a bracer.
Even on doom you can go for mekanism.
And its just horrible on riki, becouse he needs agi items to start doing damage.
Usually if you go vanguard you must it around 10 minutes. After 15 minutes its not worth it.
The heroes that i would concider buying it on are: slardar if i am doing well in lane, and to have the regen in lane so i can contest my enemies in lane and kill them, and can still get my blink before 20 minutes. The same for night stalker, but only in side lane and if im doing REALLY well. Bristleback if i dont have to rush blademail to deal with a great 1v1 manfight hero or if dont have an ommniknight/dazzle/abbadon in my team.
Ive also seen people get it on spectre, but i really dont know, spectre's item builds confuses me, i suppose she just sucks at farming so you just have pick her aling with a team that can take fights so she can farm heroes instead.

Referring to Jug and ES, simply because you can buy a Soul Ring and solve your mana problems while having more-than-average health: Drums and Bottle may work well and cost less (and it's what I get most of the time if I'm mid), but the extra HP regen from the formers is nice if you have time to farm some more gold.
For Doom, the point in getting a Vanguard is not having an item with a mana cost. And again, getting a Soul Ring (which should be easy as Doom can farm really fast) makes you use those creep abilities like Ensnare, War Stomp or Purge to gank even in the early game. Mekansm Doom is different: you focus more on utility than on ganking (which is not a bad thing; on the contrary, it's what most of the people look for).
About Sladar, after his abilities got reworked I always first-pick the Blink Dagger; for Night Stalker the Armlet is always better since his autoattack damage is so low unless you get fed. Bristleback, like Axe, has on-hit reactive abilities and some extra damage block is the best way to absorb autoattack damage (well, unless you're in the mid-late game in which case armor is way better).
As for Spectre, I think it's between the recommended items; but anyways the Vanguard- Radiance was the most popular build on her some years ago. I don't recommend it though.

I think we're going off-topic, I'll stop now. D:

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved