Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

countering spectre with items

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » countering spectre with items 8 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by miturian » November 16, 2015 1:08am | Report
so, yesterday I was in a game against a ridiculously farmed spectre, and (big surprise!) we ended up loosing. The match is here:

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1938355990

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how we could have avoided that? We got a really good start - ursa was dominating, kept killing roshan, and we even got mega creeps! but still, at the end spectre was single-handedly killing off the entire team. I played phoenix, but as you can see, the best I could come up with in terms of countering was an orchid - but that's no good unless it's applied after manta, before haunt. With a farmed carry like that it's not immediately obvious which manta-hero is the real hero, so that makes the timing pretty unforgiving.

any tips on how to get a good silence off? would more BKBs have made all the difference?

miturian

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » November 16, 2015 1:21am | Report
Generally you build slows on Phoenix to keep enemies in range of your Sun Ray. This skill is awesome right now, it can deal up to 45% of an enemy's max HP as pure damage. So Rod of Atos or Shiva's Guard to keep Spectre always in the AOE and slowly burn her down.

Orchid on phoenix is pretty bad, since it's mainly a right-click item and phoenix is not a right-clicker. And silencing Spectre is pretty much useless : she uses her ult before the fight starts and it does nothing against her passives. If you want to counter Spectre you need to disable her passives and you need Silver Edge to do this (after she uses manta). Not really the best item on phoenix either of course.

Generally don't go dagon on Phoenix unless of course you're stomping and you can get one at 8 minutes :)

You could have upgraded your Mekansm into Guardian Greaves because they purge silence, Silencer sucks to play against.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » November 16, 2015 1:49am | Report
pick Slarku/ Tusku . Rush Silver Edge. Proceed to win.

Also, bkb don't do **** against spec now with the change as now physical input give physical output and so on and so forth,so only magical reflection damage will be blocked.

But seriously, lockdown and Silver Edge is the only way to kill a grill like spectre.

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » November 16, 2015 1:53am | Report
BKBs actually block Dispersion. Yes it deals physical damage when reflecting physical damage but it's still blocked by BKB, because the skill has the "blocked by spell immunity" flag.
Dota is confusing...
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by miturian » November 16, 2015 1:56am | Report
yes, the reason I wasn't upgrading the mek was that the silencer was truly, abysmally horrible. it seemed like he was trolling his own team the whole time. I don't think he used his ult correctly a single time.

I don't think rod of atos would have worked either - there's still the problem of multiple targets, and after haunt, the gap has already been closed. I agree a shiva's is good on phoenix, but it seems more a solution that helps keep phoenix alive - not helping to kill the bad guys. and when I build the orchid, the game had gone so late that the priority was not to keep me in the fight, but to help our carries do their job.

should spectre be treated like an illusion-hero such as ck or pl? the standard solution is always to end the game before he comes online, but if you can't count on that, perhaps late-game aoe like earth shaker or lich is the way to go?

miturian

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » November 16, 2015 2:45am | Report
The best lategame counter to Spectre is Necrolyte. Health sap from Heartstopper Aura isn't dispersed, and Reaper's Scythe takes her out of the game for an eternity. Another hero that is ridiculously good against her is Terrorblade, because his illusory nature removes Desolate and the HP removed by Sunder also isn't dispersed. Outside of those two, I don't really see any good lategame counter to Spectre. Percentage-based HP damage is good because she builds tanky, but since the 6.85 changes it's more armour and resist items than raw HP...

Best way to deal with Spectre is to destroy her early and shut her down beyond all hope of comeback, because unless you have one of the aforementioned two heroes, chances of you beating her lategame are slim. This includes having Medusa.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheFinalUnknownx » November 16, 2015 4:37am | Report
It is pretty much impossible to counter a good sceptre especially after she gets 6-slotted and always remember to go for gg aka the ancient if you can take it out because megas don't always mean a win , I did this months back with void , they had go megas but then I went to midlane , used chrono too kill 3 of them in it , perma-bashed to remaining two and took the ancient .

Getting back to it , there is almost no counter to fully farmed , sceptres or medusas and it is hard even with the above mentioned heroes , the best option is to end before she gets farmed

TheFinalUnknownx

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » November 16, 2015 8:58am | Report
Spectre is a tough cookie when the game gets late. By that I mean she's the hardest late game carry (and best late game hero in general), and you can itemize however you want, it won't get you far enough if you don't have the right heroes. Her skillset is incredibly narrow, so she's a hero to counterpick.

First, for Spectre, your team needs to be resistant to the type of damage they dish out. If one of your main cores is Leshrac or Zeus, then a Pipe pickup or a Rubick pick will help you a lot.
If your team is heavy on physical damage, like most pub teams are, items like Vlads and AC are valuable, but heroes like Lich, Dazzle, and Sven are really helpful too.
But the protection items on their own will not win you the game. Also, Silver Edge can be good, but all Spectres will at some point buy Manta or Diffusal in their game, so its usage needs to be paired with some disables quickly.
Monkey King Bar is also essential to fighting her, since she goes for Radiance, and in your game, also a Butterfly, which adds up to about 43ish percent miss rate, and yet no one got MKB to deal with that. Whether or not she disperses, she wins teamfights by being alive and burning you with Desolate and Radiance.

There are key counterpicks to Spectre, besides Terrorblade and Necro, both of whom are fantastic, since they have percentage based abilities that ignore Dispersion. Necro is especially good since Spectre is often reliant on buyback plays.

But there are a few others that can deal with her late game. Naga Siren, in any position, if Spectre casts Haunt, you ult, and it cancels it out, and she has to fight you without her trump card, bonus points for Aghs healing everyone up. Abaddon because he has his Aghs ult, and you simply cast your ult when Spec ults, and this can win you the fight as well, because 50% damage reduction is huge. Elder Titan is another one because Natural Order kills her agi gained Armor (which is like all of it), and if she has less armor than you, she will often die before you do, other armor reducing heroes are good too for this reason, but Titan is the best.

Strategically, like if you were against Chaos Knight, you fight around the cooldown of Haunt. If you can push when Haunt is on cooldown, it may be worth it to perform a mass-buyback, but obviously it has to succeed. Also, secure Roshan, if she gets Aegis, none of the counters mentioned will work.

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved