Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Fey, The Sentinel

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Hero & Item Ideas » Fey, The Sentinel 11 posts - page 1 of 2

Poll Question:

How does this hero concept fit into Dota 2?
Too similar to existing dota
One or a few abilities may need a change
Fits in just fine
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » October 27, 2015 4:56pm | Report
It's been a long time since I made a hero. I like it when heroes are thematic and revolve around a concept, whether it be money for Alchemist, Attack speed for troll, or even in the case of my hero Cosmic Crawler, time itself. Fey is a hero built around information, giving as much information as possible to her team that she can, and also to add to the small pool of AGI support heroes.

Dota 2 Model: A thin girl wearing light armor, round glasses, and a small cloak over her armor. She has short hair and carries a knife in her hand, and for her projectile uses a slingshot. One of her eyes is blue and the other is green. She is also rather short and small compared to most of the female cast, since she is a pre-teen.
17 + 1.5*22 + 2.219 + 2

Armor: 3.4
Affiliation: Radiant
Damage: 38-41
Attack Animation (frontswing/backswing): 0.3 / 0.5
Cast Animation (frontswing/backswing): 0.2 / 0.8
Base Health Regen: 0.25
BAT: 1.7
Range: 400
Missile Speed: 1000
Movespeed: 305
Sight Range: 1800/800
Voice Actress: Cristina Vee
Lore:
Fey was born as the daughter of a nobleman, but in secret. She was hidden away, in another home on the other side of town, raised by her mother. It was as if she didn't even exist. Due to poverty, she stole to sustain herself, and she always kept an eye on what they were doing. One day, she stole from a mage, but he found out. He tracked her down, and she expected to be beaten for her actions. Instead, he gave her a new power, a connection that let her see things she wasn't able to, and it made her eye blue. He told her that he saw what she experienced, and that she has a gift that he just awoke.

Years later, despite still being a young person, she was on demand for her ability to gather information, sneaking into many places looking unsuspecting, and even letting those around her see as she did. Fey kept everyone in check for whoever her employer was, hidden in plain sight, like a sentinel to the enemy.

Abilities:

Tranquilizer Bolt
Fires a dart that moves at 1500 speed that stops once it hits a target. Once it hits the target, they are slowed by 35% for 1 second, and afterwards, the target is put to sleep. The sleep effect can be dispelled by purging the slow debuff. Sleeping units awoken by taking damage. Damage Type: Magical
Damage: 100/175/250/325
Sleep Duration: 4.5/5/5.5/6
Mana Cost: 100/110/120/130
Max Range: 2500
CD: 14
Flavor Text: Whenever Fey is discovered, she always keeps a sleep dart to make a getaway.
Notes: This is Fey's only skill for direct combat, a skillshot nuke that allows for easier pickoffs or possibly escape.

Shroud
Turns Fey and all nearby allied heroes in a 800 AOE invisible. The invisibility is broken on allies if they get within 900 units to enemy heroes or towers, and also by attacking or casting spells, but Fey will stay invisible for as long as needed. Has a long cast time.
Max Duration: 45 seconds
Mana Cost: 200
CD: 180/160/140/120
Cast time: 6/5/4/3 seconds
Flavor Text: The Mage taught her one skill that hid her better than she could on her own, and often, she took company with her to find information.
Notes: A powerful smoke of deceit type skill that allows for team ambushes and moving together. It is balanced by its heavy costs and no immunity to true sight.

Clairvoyance (Passive)
Fey's vision improves, as well as her allies. Affected units gain vision that allow them to see up ramps, but not over cliffs or trees, and the vision up ramps only works for as wide as the ramp is.
Level 1 - Only affects Fey
Level 2 - Affects Fey and allied heroes in a 400 AOE
Level 3 - Affects Fey, allied heroes, and creeps in 800 AOE.
Level 4 - Globally affects Fey, allied heroes, creeps, and wards, and is in effect even when she is dead.
Flavor Text: After the day with the Mage, she had the ability to see things she couldn't normally.As she learned to control it, she let others see it too
Notes: This is an oddly scaled skill that allows for a much more powerful vision for heroes in this game. Seeing up ramps makes high ground breaking much easier, and its effects on the wards makes a ton more ward spots viable.

Uncover
Reveals the position of all enemy heroes for 14 seconds, does not affect invisible units. Opponents are not aware when this skill has been used.
Mana Cost: 100
CD: 80/70/60
Flavor Text: She never lost track of anyone she was learning about, she always had a way to find them.
Notes: A very simple yet powerful utility skill with great synergy with her other skills. Makes her a real menace as game goes on.

Agh Scepter Upgrade: Adds the Ability Sentinel

Sentinel
Creates an invulnerable watcher in the area for 10 minutes. This Watcher has clairvoyance, and a vision range of 1800/1800. These watchers are undetectable, but cannot be placed within 900 range of an enemy tower.
Mana Cost: 150
Cast Range: 500
Cooldown: 90

Talents:
Level 10: A- +30% XP Gain, B- +3 Mana Regen
Level 15: A- +120 GPM, B- +5 Armor
Level 20: A- +Tranquilizer Dart is now unit targetable, B- +150 Damage
Level 25: A- 20% Cooldown Reduction, B – +300 Attack Range

Pros and Cons:
+Strong disabling ability
+Extremely high utility

-Terrible in combat
-Unreliable Disable
-Cannot solo gank

Role
Spoiler: Click to view

Story Stuff:
Personality:

Interaction with Other Heroes:

Voice Sample: (Starting from 0:30)

Relative Power Level: Probably weaker than all the other characters, but has impressive magic abilities that are simply not used for combat.

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » October 28, 2015 1:56am | Report
Firstly, thank you so much for this, as this section of the forum's been dead for a while. Let's revitalise it guys, we can't all be creatively bankrupt.

So, this hero seems pretty cool, but perhaps a little weak. Yes, the vision (especially the ultimate) is really powerful, but that's all the hero does. The passive seems gimmicky and a bit weak - personally, I'd add an active component that does something, because atm she seems like Bounty Hunter without Track gold. All in all, it's a generally cool idea, and I think the ult is just about right, but I think the {W} isn't that good - it just doesn't seem to outweigh a smoke enough to justify the cooldown and mana costs, not to mention the abilities.

However, I like the concept, I just think it needs some tweaks and buffs.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » October 28, 2015 5:24am | Report
Terathiel wrote:

Firstly, thank you so much for this, as this section of the forum's been dead for a while. Let's revitalise it guys, we can't all be creatively bankrupt.

Are you serious?

http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/forum/hero-and-item-ideas/the-sacrifice-53471
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » October 28, 2015 6:24am | Report
Oh, whoops! I apparently missed that one completely.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » October 28, 2015 6:33am | Report
This hero is incredibly passive. I don't think I'll emphasize this point if it weren't for the fact that the hero is completely passive. The Smoke of Deceit has a 3 minute cooldown at max, the Passive is very much Passive, especially when maxed. Also his ultimate is Thundergod's Wrath without the damage. No offense, but this hero seems very boring to play.
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » October 28, 2015 11:08pm | Report
The hero is kind of designed to be boring, since she's built entirely around information. She's all about moving with her team and getting a key pickoff with no possibility of the enemies using uphill blind spots against them, with your wards placed in all sorts of unexpected places because they can see up ramps, and she can scout ahead using her Bolt, or using Uncover in order to easily get a pickoff (since Uncover doesn't tell the enemy when you use it).

However, I can see how you'd think this would make the hero kind of unusable, since she's very unfit for combat and highly dependent on her allies, with her main contribution when not shrouding being Mirana style snipes to help her allies get kills.

Maybe I'll make it so that Aghs Uncover reveals all enemy wards. Or if it makes Tranquilizer Bolt's missile invisible during shroud.

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Yzreel » October 29, 2015 7:17am | Report
Been a while since I last do this, let's start with being excited that there's a new hero idea that's not mine here!! :D

Let's begin with the overall idea, I LOVE seeing a hero created with vision idea, since vision is actually a huge deal that makes Slardar such a popular pick now (in addition to the buff on sprint). Making a "spy" is really interesting, but I think the problem is that if she's being a support, she gotta give early space so your carries can farm properly, which this hero doesn't have.

I said that based on her skills that really are well.... useless, except maybe the Tranquilizer Bolt, in addition to her extremely low (only +10 from Techies) damage, and only 400 range. My most concern is where I should lane her. Most of the time, she's only there to sap XP without doing nothing. When a hero's like this, she should be an offlaner, but... she's squishy as hell and has no escape mechanism.

Now, let's go with the first skill. I like the idea, really, but that skill is not really potent at securing kills. Compare it with Meat Hook and Sacred Arrow that deals a **** ton of damage, this skill only deals about half the damage, and the effect is really weak... I mean, Meat Hook is basically the ultimate position-messing skill and Sacred Arrow can stun up to 5 seconds. Although this skill can last up to 6 seconds, it's just sleep. This skill is like a long-ranged unreliable Nightmare, not to mention that it can be stopped by purge. I think this skill needs to either be made reliable with less range, or increase the kill (assist) potential. I prefer to just add simple effect that increase damage taken under the effect of tranquilizer (make sense, since if you're sleepy as **** you won't be able to guard properly). I'd probably make the damage 100/140/180/220 that slows by 25% for 4 seconds and sleep for 3/4/5/6 seconds, increase all damage received by 8/12/16/20% in the duration of slow, first damage taken after sleep will get double amount of damage bonus and wake the target up.

Shroud is actually... rather weak. I mean, it's just Smoke of Deceit (well, not just, I know how strong it can be... but it's just 100 gold and it's not like most teams will run out of it so often that a specific skill is required). If you insist on having this skill, sure, this is your idea anyway, but I'd actually suggest combining this skill with the passive and make it into a sort of escape mechanism kind of skill. I think Shroud is a great name, so let's just use it.

My suggestion

Uncover is the skill that I love most, simple, but potent. However, there IS Thundergod's Wrath that does basically the same thing with damage and 90 seconds cooldown, plus reveals all invisible units. That basically makes the first two levels useless. I suggest scaling the reveal time and cooldown. What about 70/55/40 seconds of 5/7/9 seconds reveal with 200 fixed MP cost, and also reveal invisible units? Btw, you haven't specified the vision range.

Proposed Aghanim upgrade: Uncover will also cause Blackout to all enemy heroes until reveal duration ends.
My hero ideas
Yzreel Hero Arsenal

Yzreel

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (30)
Steam: Yzreel
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Mckill316 » October 31, 2015 3:53am | Report
Em i have a slight idea... How about some sort of Poison-cloud-grenade as a Q? Like she throws this out, anyone standing in the poison-cloud will take damage over time, get slowed AND have their vision reduced... like they cant see outside the smoke cloud. Yea i know, this is basicly a skill from League only that it deals damage, but hey, with a hero that is centerd around vision, it would be cool if she also hade a spell of sorts that limits an opponents vision. Like i would be pretty worried if i stood in that... But again thats just an idea...

Mckill316

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by sfinas91 » December 2, 2015 4:25pm | Report
Great work!

Love the mock-up: More importantly creative!

Well Done!

sfinas91

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by powerwimp » December 17, 2015 9:28pm | Report
I am new here, but I hope I can contribute some useful feedback. I believe this is what they call a wall of text, but I don't know of any other effective way of formatting this. (If you have any tips on formatting or balancing for me, please, feel free to tell me.)

From what I have read, it seems like most of the criticisms of this hero come from the fact that what this hero does can be done by other heroes more effectively, like the ultimate being like Zeus's while dealing no damage or the Tranquilizer Bolt being like Mirana's arrow without the stun or Pudge's hook with the re-positioning or damage.

Tranquilizer Bolt:
It can be kept the same for the most part, but maybe adding some utility, such as making the affected hero disappear from their allies' maps, allowing you to see the hero's levels and cooldowns of skills and items for a certain duration, or making it similar to Yzreel's W skill, stealing their vision for a certain duration of time (5/10/15/20 seconds?).

Shroud:
Personally, I think Shroud is a great ability, but the cooldown is so high. I think it would be better to reduce the cooldown, while reducing or even removing the passive movement speed buff. The skill's utility would then be balanced by the high mana cost and it could effectively replace smoke of deceit.

Clairvoyance:
I love the passive and the idea of a vision or information based hero, and the passive is great, but a bit underwhelming according to everybody else. Maybe you could add an active component to the skill that gives Fey true vision for a few seconds.

Uncover:
This is a pretty unique ultimate, but like other's have said, it is done better by Zeus. I think the revealing of invisible units should be already in the skill without Aghanim's. Also, once this skill is used, would the enemy team know that they are revealed? If they do know, perhaps extend the duration of vision. The cool down and mana cost should be able to stay the same with this kind of utility. And just for clarification, would you have vision of the hero and an area around them, or just the hero?

Aghanim's Scepter Upgrade:
For the Aghanim's upgrade, with the recent influx of upgrades not necessarily upgrading the ultimate, I think a lot of leeway can be had with this.
You could stick to traditional Agh's upgrades and make Uncover also reveal wards for the same duration.
You could also add two subskills, giving her even more viability as a scout.

[D] Undercover: Fey goes on an undercover mission, becoming invisible and gaining a passive movement speed buff. Fey can use any of her skills without breaking invisibility, but attacking will still break it.

Movement Speed buff: 25%
Duration: 30 seconds
MP Cost: 50
CD: 15 seconds

[F] Blink: Fey uses magic the mage gave her (Side story relating to Aghanim being the mage who found her?) to teleport short distances.

Range: 1000
MP Cost: 50
CD: 10 seconds

I tried to keep to the theme of the hero with these upgrades and tried to keep her balanced, while also trying to make her more interesting to play as her role in the game grows more important as she grows stronger. Hopefully, I could stay true to the original idea of this hero. I am thinking her item build would be boots first, with basic observers and sentries wherever needed. Then as a first major item, since she is a support, would be a Mekansm or an Aghanim's secpter. Despite being a moderately difficult item to farm early on, Aghanim's Scepter will give her a chance to solo offlane while her laning partner goes to jungle or roam. Not only that, but it would allow her to roam and give the lane to her partner if needed, making her a very versatile hero.

powerwimp

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved