Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Xyrus's #RoadTo4k Thread

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Xyrus's #RoadTo4k Thread 122 posts - page 12 of 13
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » January 21, 2016 9:06am | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

If you want to think of an exact build before you start and stick to it then you arent playing dota. Especially as a carry.

Xyrus wrote:

It's not a case of being uncomfortable playing Ranked, I know I can easily get a 60+% winrate at my current MMR. I'm just using Unranked as a Sandbox to play around, get a feel for the Heroes I'm going to play, try out new Item Builds (I've yet to try the new Slahser's way PA, and I'll need to try it in Unranked before I can decide whether it will work in 2k Ranked or not).

In other words, I'm trying different builds to see their strong and weak points, I already know how much of an impact Monkey King Bar has against Evasion, but how much impact does a Skadi have against WR? You don't learn these things until you try them out. Yes, I'll lose games by messing around with Items, but these are Unranked 2k games, experimentation is more important to me right now.

Take my Razor games as an example:-

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/2086496816
http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/2087747000
http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/2090150469

I know that the current Meta Build on Razor is Power Treads->Optional Sange and Yasha / Drum of Endurance -> Black King Bar -> Platemail. Game #3 is the 1st game where I've gone that build on Razor, since I'm used to the old Mekansm / Aghanim's Scepter rush days.

In a 2k Pub, you're going to run into Health and Mana Issues from the Mid-Game onwards and you can't rely on your team to push the advantage after a fight, so I tried Aghs Deso for increased pushing power and Vlads for Sustain. I found it surprisingly effective, but I still went for a serious build in a higher skilled game.

I'm completely capable of adapting, I just choose not to when I'm experimenting, unless the Situation allows me to run an experiment I won't necessarily be able to run in the near future, e.g. I've been meaning to practise my HotD Farming on [][Phantom Assassin]] and try Slahser's way on her, but since the game was going badly, I decided to experiment with Mask of Madness since I also wanted to experiment with building it as a desperation Item to recover against a heavy gold lead:-

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/2094423393

I already know that the Attack Speed from Mask of Madness significantly increases the number of Crits you can get in 5-10 seconds, but how much of an impact does that actually have when taking the increased damage taken into account? Turns out, I only get an extra Crit every few seconds, but it has the same effect as getting an extra Nuke every few seconds. Very useful if you can isolate a Hero. I can theorycraft a lot of this, but I found a few times that I had MoM on Cooldown when I needed it to be up. I wouldn't have expected to run into this issue, and since I stuck to my build and saw it thorugh to the end, I ended up learning a lot from it.

Now if I find myself in a losing game as PA, I feel more confident in my ability to handle the Situation, I learnt how to use a new Item effectively. I may lose (Unranked) games by doing this, but when I start playing Ranked, I'll be in a much better position than I was if I simply use what I know from theorycrafting alone.

Take Monkey King Bar against Windrunner as an example, I know I need to build it, but how do you play against a Windrunner before you get that MKB? Is MKB the 2nd Item you need? the 3rd? You can theorycraft the answer quite easily, but have you ever experimented to test the results?

I know I haven't. I've tried avoiding WR completely and focusing on purely Ratting with Jugg. I now know how far I can get with that style, and trust me. If Windrunner + Wyvern + 1 or 2 other Heroes died to Remote Mines without buyback, I would easily take Rax in under 30 seconds due to keeping the Waves on their side of the map and having BoTs to press the advantage instantly.

If I pick "obvious" items every game, like Black King Bar against Silences and Monkey King Bar against Evasion, I might win a few more games. If I experiemnt and see how far I can get with certain builds, I'll learn more about the limitations of my Heroes.
Timminatorr wrote:

And if you want to improve the way to do it is obviously get good at doing an effective strategy, not keep playing a bad one. Adapting and improving your builds is also a part of getting better.

The more builds you try, the more Situations you can adapt to effectively. Even if those builds are ineffective in one game, you may find them highly effective in another, because the elements that made them ineffective in 1 game are not necessarily present in the next.
Timminatorr wrote:

you didnt play well in the jugger game and were useless, that was what i was saying. you seem to overestimate your ability to play and your game knowledge, which you cant have if you want to improve and raise MMR.
just see that your whole way of playing that game was wrong, and you need to completely change that.

True, my playstyle did not suit that game, but if I was afraid to make mistakes, I wouldn't even bother playing Ranked. It's true, I need to improve my game knowledge and overall skill with every Hero, in particular the ones I intend to play a lot.

However, I'm not going to get there just mimicking Pro builds and building X every time I see Y. It's probably going to take a few hundred games before I start playing any Hero at a 5k level, but by the time I get there, I'll have tried more Item and Skill builds than most people would ever dare with the same number of games.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » January 22, 2016 1:26pm | Report
If this degenerates off-topic again, the thread goes down. Deleted all the comments that have no relevance what-so-ever.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » February 25, 2016 1:33pm | Report
Pls giff update Xyrus

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Lofy » February 25, 2016 11:28pm | Report
+1

Lofy

View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » February 26, 2016 5:01am | Report
Yeah, an update to ould be nice. Although, I don't really see him on the forums anymore.

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Lofy » February 26, 2016 5:07am | Report
Maybe he is training his heroes hard!

and is currently reaching 3k?

Lofy

View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hades4u » February 26, 2016 5:14am | Report
Official message from Xyrus:

Quoted:
I've decided to stop playing DOTA, I just don't enjoy the game anymore. Just letting you know since I won't be around the site anymore.

Hopefully he'll feel like playing again and come back. :(
Message me if you'd like to join our official Discord server!

Hades4u
<Community Lead>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Distinguished (296)
Steam: hades4you
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » February 26, 2016 5:51am | Report
Aww, that's too bad. I'll miss the mustache man.

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by michimatsch » February 26, 2016 6:19am | Report
That is you fixate too much on winning. At least that what I think happened.
Is it just me or did a lot of our long-term members stop playing dota?
Or well...maybe it's just me. I mean Safecyn came back....

michimatsch

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (26)
Steam: michimatsch
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Janitsu » February 26, 2016 7:01am | Report
Well at least we can finally have a moderator with proper memeing skills that are required in this job...

Sad to hear though, he could have become something under my presence =(

Janitsu
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (74)
Steam: Cottontail Teemo
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved