Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Centaur build?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Centaur build? 20 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerosaviour » March 28, 2014 10:29pm | Report
Just been giving Centaur Warrunner a try but haven't seen any new guides for him. Almost all the guides on DOTAfire are from 2012 with only one from 2013. Worse yet; the in game dota guides I've been trusting only have one build guide for him which looks worse than the Valve guide. Any real suggestions on how I should build him?

Zerosaviour

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » March 29, 2014 3:39am | Report
Usually tranquils are picked up for the heal as the attack speed is mostly wasted, especially later in the game since his rightclicks are weak.
The main thing you should know is to ALWAYS make a blink on him. Seriously, a lot of people will argue against it becouse you have stampede, but blink gives you faster and better (counter)initiation then stampede on a MUCH MUCH shorter cooldown. It is a high skill item and makes the most out of the hero, if you can rush it after completing your boots.

From there you make utility items that make you tanky and they all depend on the current situation.
Blademail against enemies like ursa or tinker.
Pipe against magic AOE.
Shiva against physical damage, the aura is amazing.
Heavens halberd, the evasion coupled with your already high strength makes you REALLY tanky. But you mainly get it for the disarm to shut down carries.
Assault cuirass if none of your allies picks it up.
Black king bar for magic immunity if they have a lot of disables.
Only get heart once you dont need any other items, though it is a great lategame centaur item dont just get one by default. Adapt and get the items that are needed first, dont always rush it like a lot of people will suggest.

Some more situational ones are:
Force staff for more initiation and escape for you and your allies.
Ghost scepter if you are being destroyed by physical damage and have trouble getting your spells off.
Vladimir's offering if you have a lot of melee heroes and no one to get this.
Mekanism if your team needs it but it mostly isnt that crucial in pubs.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by F.E.A.R.0 » March 29, 2014 3:49am | Report
Look I'm gonna tell you how. For the records you are right about the guides and the ones on steam.

First skill build.

Item build:

Please don't build the Tranquil, Blink Dagger, Hood of Defiance. It's not a viable anymore for me it never was. Tranquil Boots are trash since 6.79 and even Hood of Defiance reduces the damage dealt on Centaur Warrunner by Double Edge, Vanguard and Phase Boots are a much better choice always were.

Allies: Crystal Maiden, Bristleback, Lion, Shadow Shaman, Venomancer, Viper, Ogre Magi, Night Stalker

Enemies: Lifestealer, Phantom Lancer, Venomancer, Shadow Shaman, Kunkka, Timbersaw, Puck, Pugna
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
Please PM me if you spot anything missing or outdated in the data base

F.E.A.R.0
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (38)
Steam: F.E.A.R.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » March 29, 2014 5:11am | Report
You still get enough heal out of tranquil boots to make them viable, you can even drop them on the ground while jungling so you get regen once you pick them up.
Phase boots are wasted gold, if you dont want tranquil get brown boots.

Vanguard is underpowered right now and falls off really fast, and you dont get any strength for return from it. It also delays blink dagger. You dont want to get blink after 20 minutes as a centaur.

Fear WTF are you talking about? Hood reduces self damage so it is bad? Hood is kinda ****py but you are supposed to get the entire pipe.

Radiance is wasted money, why would you want a radiance just before 30 minutes? It is an item to get before 20 minutes and its trash on centaur.

Satanic doesnt provide any utility for your team and you dont put out that much rightclick anyway.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » March 29, 2014 5:47am | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

You still get enough heal out of tranquil boots to make them viable, you can even drop them on the ground while jungling so you get regen once you pick them up.

Considering Bradwarden is played as an Offlaner or a Support, there will be plenty of opportunities to make use of the Regen, plus it's cheap Movement Speed and Armour, even when Broken.
Timminatorr wrote:

Radiance is wasted money, why would you want a radiance just before 30 minutes? It is an item to get before 20 minutes and its trash on centaur.

Not to mention, how much time are you going to waste trying to Farm one?
Timminatorr wrote:

Satanic doesnt provide any utility for your team and you dont put out that much rightclick anyway.

Agreed, without any real right-click damage, Satanic is useless. Just try to get some Cheese instead.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » March 29, 2014 6:13am | Report
I generally don't like Tranquils, but they're decent on Centaur Warrunner ; most of the time I just go Boots of Speed into Blink Dagger and then wait for BoT, much like a Beastmaster, but Tranquil Boots only cost 525 more. After your core, you can buy anything that makes you more survivable: Vanguard, Blade Mail, Heaven's Halberd, Drum of Endurance, Vladmir's Offering, Mekansm, Black King Bar, Pipe of Insight... The choice is yours. For the late game, Shiva's Guard and Assault Cuirass should be your main priorities.

As for the skill build, always max Double Edge first. You might want to get a level of Return at 2 when playing in the offlane, but you should still get full levels of your nuke by level 7 (or 8 if you really want that second level of Return to discourage harass damage).

TL;DR:
Items: Boots of Speed/ Tranquil Boots --> Blink Dagger --> Anything that makes you tanky or has a built-in aura.
Skill build: max Double Edge by level 7 (or 8) and then Hoof Stomp, take a point or two in Return before level 10 only if offlaning, get your ultimate at the standard levels.

Timminatorr wrote:

Fear WTF are you talking about? Hood reduces self damage so it is bad? Hood is kinda ****py but you are supposed to get the entire pipe.

I think he meant "...and even though Hood of Defiance reduces the damage dealt on Centaur Warrunner by Double Edge, Vanguard and Phase Boots are a much better choice always were." I kind of agree with it, though I'd take the Blink first and then the Vanguard.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerosaviour » March 29, 2014 6:21am | Report
I've been trying a hp regen build with Tranquil, Vanguard, and Hood of Defiance. Also been leveling up Return first to give myself some lane pushing and jungling potential. Blink dagger has been a situational pick to me depending on how the game is going. Played two games where we snowballed so hard that I rushed a heart and pretty much became nigh unkillable instead of the blink.

I usually save my ult as an escape for my team instead of an initiating ability.

Only had to build a bkb once; that was due to the other team being team lockdown.

Zerosaviour

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » March 29, 2014 6:58am | Report
Radiance is not gotten for the farm, but for the DPS.Since centaur will be really tanky, he is going to draw the focus because he has the radiance.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » March 29, 2014 7:30am | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

Radiance is not gotten for the farm, but for the DPS.Since centaur will be really tanky, he is going to draw the focus because he has the radiance.

I know but that doesnt make any sense. If you dont need tankyness and want AOE damage you get a mjollnir since it is so damn strong now.
But that is also pretty situational.

And please please blink is so core. Just like blink on sand king and earthshaker.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerosaviour » March 29, 2014 8:13am | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

I know but that doesnt make any sense. If you dont need tankyness and want AOE damage you get a mjollnir since it is so damn strong now.
But that is also pretty situational.

And please please blink is so core. Just like blink on sand king and earthshaker.

I only pass up blink when we snowball. When I say snowball, one game ended 52-7. Their mid was horrid. Basically where I can stand outside of their fountain and pretty much harass their players back.

Zerosaviour

Notable (8)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved