Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Extreme Makeover: Item Build Edition

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Extreme Makeover: Item Build Edition 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » May 23, 2015 5:57pm | Report
Default item builds are often times what new players go off of when they build their items. But after receiving several insightful, low-sodium ingame lectures from Wulfstan and Xyrus, I've begun to have doubts about the item builds that Valve have provided ( Mekansm on Lion, Battle Fury for Phantom Assassin and so on).

So I figure, why not overhaul these default item builds into something that's a bit more "effective?" Why not give the default item build a makeover?

Let's start off with a hero that several new players should gravitate towards: Lion.

Here's his default item build: http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Lion#Recommended_items
What should his actual item progression be?

Now then... Lion-ize this build!

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » May 23, 2015 6:36pm | Report
Get Phase Boots then Silver Edge.

Am I doing this right?

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Califocus » May 23, 2015 6:40pm | Report
You're forgetting the mask of madness

Califocus

Notable (1)
Steam: Rubick^3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » May 23, 2015 7:12pm | Report
Don't forget the Manta Style!

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by michimatsch » May 23, 2015 7:19pm | Report
He definetly needs a Solar Crest
look at his kit. It almost screams armor reduction

michimatsch

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (26)
Steam: michimatsch
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Califocus » May 23, 2015 9:19pm | Report
I know I'll sound like a noob, but how do link the items like that?

Califocus

Notable (1)
Steam: Rubick^3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » May 23, 2015 9:52pm | Report
Califocus wrote:

I know I'll sound like a noob, but how do link the items like that?

Double square brackets around the word itself. Ex:
Code:
[[blade mail]] [[kunkka]]

Will end up : Blade Mail Kunkka. Just make sure to spell the words out properly. I believe they work like anchors or just making links to the item/hero page. (don't know if they are anchors for sure, please don't bash me).

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by YellulzQuiet » May 23, 2015 9:55pm | Report
Blade Mail Kunkka

YellulzQuiet

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » May 23, 2015 11:08pm | Report
Fedorable wrote:

Let's start off with a hero that several new players should gravitate towards: Lion.

Here's his default item build: http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Lion#Recommended_items
What should his actual item progression be?

Yes, a Lion thread!

Personally:
Tranquil Boots, Pretty standard here. The sustain from this and Mana Drain allows you to roam around the map as long as you like.
Blink Dagger, Pretty standard too. Blink is just so string on Lion. Blink into Hex into Earth Spike into Finger of Death. This item is just too good on him. Force Staff doesnt really has that impact that Blink has, so I suggest buying this instead.
Aghanim's Scepter, The crazy thing about this is the cooldown reduction. 20 secinds cooldown is ********, really. Great item if you need more damage, especially Lion who needs more.
Scythe of Vyse, Good item overall, but I rarely build this since most of the time I needed the CD reduction of aghs.

Havent tried out:
Ethereal Blade, Disable attacking, amplify damage, buildup from Ghost Scepter, oretty good item overall.

So there it goes. Dont know why you would buy Mekansm on Lion, Blink Dagger has much greater impact.
Also Ursa. People should quit rushing vlads on him and get Blink Dagger. And they should realize that early roshan isnt what the hero is about.
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by armc3j » May 24, 2015 1:14am | Report
The one item I get every. Single. Game. On Lion is at least one initiation item like a Blink Dagger. In an ideal world., I'll get Blink Dagger and forcd staff, but that rarely happens. Otherwise, I like to go mana boots, just to up his mana pool a little, and eventually build into greaves for the team. However, most games I'm stuck with observer wards and brown boots, and maybe half of the gold for a blink
when a thing is done, it's done. Don't look back.

armc3j

Notable (3)
Steam: .Elusive
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved