Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Wanting to be a better WR

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Mentoring » Wanting to be a better WR 33 posts - page 2 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » May 26, 2014 2:25pm | Report
siktastic wrote:

i usually use in7 gankers build guide for my WR. If im running a semi-carry should i be using mjollnir over everything else because of its lighning ability?

That guide might be a bit outdated now, especially when you consider it hasn't been updated since the change to her Ultimate's Mana Cost

I wouldn't go Mjollnir on Windranger, she's not Tanky enough to make good use of the Active, and she doesn't really need Attack Speed due to Focus Fire. If you want more Damage, I'd go either Desolator or Aghanim's Scepter.

Aghanim's Scepter lets you use Focus Fire every 15 seconds, and with the massive Mana Cost reduction she received a while back, it's viable to spam it these days, get it at lvl 16 when you have 100+ Right-Click damage for 3 attacks per second, and that's 20 seconds of 300 Damage per second on your designated target.

Desolator goes really well with Max Attack Speed and lets you Burst down Towers like there's no tommorow, it's not as powerful later on against Heroes, especially once they start getting Armour or lots of Agility, but it's great for games that don't go past 40:00.

Daedalus is also ridiculous for increasing your Damage, especially with Aghanim's Scpeter.

Then again, even if you're in a Farming Role, there's still Utility Items to consider, e.g. Orchid Malevolence, Scythe of Vyse, Force Staff, Blink Dagger, etc. In the end, you have to judge how long each game is going to go on for and what you need most to ensure you win that particular game.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by FleetAU » May 26, 2014 7:02pm | Report
Maelstrom is still a fantastic item as if you ult on a tanky hero in a teamfight the lighting can kill off other heroes there is just so much of it

edit: or you can do what I do, get a Butterfly and then Windrun and nothing can touch you lmao
Do as I say, not what I do

FleetAU

Notable (16)
Steam: Fleet™
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by siktastic » May 26, 2014 9:28pm | Report
things are on the up for me well lately from the last game... but i have swithed to mirana after wtahcing a couple high level players play. kinda mimiced their gameplay and met some friends who talk. so all has been well it just a couple days.

usually on WR i have my basic starter items. then i go to ring of bas, phase boots, (then meck if needed) then to orchid, i always thought on malestorm on her; but never committed to it. i should use the scepter more. thanks for the help you guys. i still need a lot of work to grow as a player so still looking for help and tips

here is the last match as mirana... i need much improvement still what do you guys think?
name is siktastic as well on dotabuff

http://dotabuff.com/matches/682690789

siktastic

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by FleetAU » May 27, 2014 2:50am | Report
the witch doctor totally carried you lmao. Na jks. Looks like you did ok although I think I would have got a Desolator as for wind ranger Why do you get orchid? that doesn't strike me as a great idea, I have done it before but I think a sheep stick is always way better on WR. Personally semi WR I start with a null talisman and a tango because I like do build a dagon, got love my burst damage. I have weird WR play though, I don't even use my ult that much, I basically play her like you play puck that is running around causing havoc and occasionally comeing out with massive burst damage. gota love Ethereal Blade dagon combo
Do as I say, not what I do

FleetAU

Notable (16)
Steam: Fleet™
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » May 27, 2014 5:13am | Report
siktastic wrote:

things are on the up for me well lately from the last game... but i have swithed to mirana after wtahcing a couple high level players play. kinda mimiced their gameplay and met some friends who talk. so all has been well it just a couple days.

Yeah, Mirana is awesome! I can't get enough of making the other Team CRY with her <}3
siktastic wrote:

here is the last match as mirana... i need much improvement still what do you guys think?
name is siktastic as well on dotabuff

http://dotabuff.com/matches/682690789

Finished skimming through the replay...

If you're going to Block the Creep Wave at the Horn, you really need to be ready when the Creeps spawn 8{3

Also, I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to get a Double Damage Rune. I know it's tempting because it becomes easier to Last Hit and Deny with that extra Damage, and that you were probably aiming for First Blood with it, but...you missed the entire 1st Wave and ended up with only a Single Last hit from the 2nd Wave (fortunately, Invoker sucked so bad, he only got 1 Last Hit too X{D ). Don't underestimate the importance of those first few Last Hits, as missing 7 Creeps delays your Bottle by at least another minute.

You landed the Sacred Arrow on Invoker, but you didn't even bring him under Half HP, and since it's an Invoker, he can heal up with Quas quite easily (it didn't take long).

I noticed that you seemed to be more concerned with trying to land Sacred Arrows from distance than Last Hitting. Don't, it's difficult to land Arrows in the Mid Lane from a distance. Simply focus on Last Hitting and occasionally Denying Creeps or Harrassing. Don't try for a Kill on a Hero that is on full HP, Harrass with your Auto-Attack and even Starstorm (only do this if you're trying to Flash Farm Creeps though)

You also went for a few Denies, sacrificing Last hit sin the process. Believe it or not, it's better that both you and the other Mid get a Last Hit each, than to sacrifice a Last Hit to try and Deny. You're always down 1 Last Hit when you do this, but there's no guarantee that you can get to your Allied Creep 1st. Play it safe and focus on getting Last Hits above Denying or Harrassing, but feel free to try doing 2 or 3 at once (This applies to all Mids), i.e. using Starmstorm to Flash Farm wihtout losing Last Hits, but also hitting the other Mid Laner (not easy to do, but brilliant when you pull it off).

When trying to land Arrows against another Mid (after you've lowered their HP of course), don't worry about getting a 5 second Stun. The Burst Damage from a point Blank Sacred Arrow is pretty good, and 0.5 seconds is long enough to Leap in and land a Starstorm, preferably, so that they're within the 2nd star Radius (175), but no Creeps are (guaranteed 75% extra Damage).

Because of this ^ you want to Max Starstorm by lvl 7 or 8, before Sacred Arrow since you get more Damage from a well positioned Starstorm. It's also why you want to have a level in Leap by lvl 4. You laso want Moonlight Shadow at lvl 6, because you never know when it maybe needed to save an Ally, or even when your Allies are ready to Gank (in Pubs), but the Cooldown reduction isn't enough to justify it at lvl11 (it's better than Stats though). As a Mid I recommend the following Skill Build most of the time:-

Stats

You seemed to spend a lot of time looking for Runes, I'd recommend asking your Supports/Offlaner to take the Runes and just Bottle Crow early on most of the time. The only exception is when you can make something happen with that Rune, e.g. get a near guaranteed Kill with it. When you go for Runes, you're always missing out on Exp and Last Hits, but it's never certain that getting the Rune will be worth it.

I'd recommend watching pr0fessional Mirana players and seeing some of the positions they throw Sacred Arrows from, e.g. SingSing, Dendi, etc. Try to observer how they throw arrows so that they can't be seen, overall, you're better than a lot of the players on the other Team, but your Arrows need a bit of improvement 8{)

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by siktastic » May 27, 2014 9:09am | Report
The match before I was able to pull off arrow into star kills. I lot of knowledge to soak up. When I get more matches in I will post the vids

siktastic

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by siktastic » May 27, 2014 12:46pm | Report
Xyrus wrote:

Yeah, Mirana is awesome! I can't get enough of making the other Team CRY with her <}3

Finished skimming through the replay...

If you're going to Block the Creep Wave at the Horn, you really need to be ready when the Creeps spawn 8{3

Also, I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to get a Double Damage Rune. I know it's tempting because it becomes easier to Last Hit and Deny with that extra Damage, and that you were probably aiming for First Blood with it, but...you missed the entire 1st Wave and ended up with only a Single Last hit from the 2nd Wave (fortunately, Invoker sucked so bad, he only got 1 Last Hit too X{D ). Don't underestimate the importance of those first few Last Hits, as missing 7 Creeps delays your Bottle by at least another minute.

You landed the Sacred Arrow on Invoker, but you didn't even bring him under Half HP, and since it's an Invoker, he can heal up with Quas quite easily (it didn't take long).

I noticed that you seemed to be more concerned with trying to land Sacred Arrows from distance than Last Hitting. Don't, it's difficult to land Arrows in the Mid Lane from a distance. Simply focus on Last Hitting and occasionally Denying Creeps or Harrassing. Don't try for a Kill on a Hero that is on full HP, Harrass with your Auto-Attack and even Starstorm (only do this if you're trying to Flash Farm Creeps though)

You also went for a few Denies, sacrificing Last hit sin the process. Believe it or not, it's better that both you and the other Mid get a Last Hit each, than to sacrifice a Last Hit to try and Deny. You're always down 1 Last Hit when you do this, but there's no guarantee that you can get to your Allied Creep 1st. Play it safe and focus on getting Last Hits above Denying or Harrassing, but feel free to try doing 2 or 3 at once (This applies to all Mids), i.e. using Starmstorm to Flash Farm wihtout losing Last Hits, but also hitting the other Mid Laner (not easy to do, but brilliant when you pull it off).

When trying to land Arrows against another Mid (after you've lowered their HP of course), don't worry about getting a 5 second Stun. The Burst Damage from a point Blank Sacred Arrow is pretty good, and 0.5 seconds is long enough to Leap in and land a Starstorm, preferably, so that they're within the 2nd star Radius (175), but no Creeps are (guaranteed 75% extra Damage).

Because of this ^ you want to Max Starstorm by lvl 7 or 8, before Sacred Arrow since you get more Damage from a well positioned Starstorm. It's also why you want to have a level in Leap by lvl 4. You laso want Moonlight Shadow at lvl 6, because you never know when it maybe needed to save an Ally, or even when your Allies are ready to Gank (in Pubs), but the Cooldown reduction isn't enough to justify it at lvl11 (it's better than Stats though). As a Mid I recommend the following Skill Build most of the time:-

Stats

You seemed to spend a lot of time looking for Runes, I'd recommend asking your Supports/Offlaner to take the Runes and just Bottle Crow early on most of the time. The only exception is when you can make something happen with that Rune, e.g. get a near guaranteed Kill with it. When you go for Runes, you're always missing out on Exp and Last Hits, but it's never certain that getting the Rune will be worth it.

I'd recommend watching pr0fessional Mirana players and seeing some of the positions they throw Sacred Arrows from, e.g. SingSing, Dendi, etc. Try to observer how they throw arrows so that they can't be seen, overall, you're better than a lot of the players on the other Team, but your Arrows need a bit of improvement 8{)

how was my.item build looking in the match?

siktastic

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » May 27, 2014 12:54pm | Report
siktastic wrote:

Pretty good if you ask me: Phase are the best choice to get better last hits, Aquila is so cost efficient and I always buy it on Mirana (remember to keep it turned off in the laning phase), Drums are necessary for stats and movement speed and Manta is quite decent. I recently dropped the Manta for a Maelstrom/ Mjollnir though, and I've had better results: Manta Style is a good item, but a Maelstrom lets you farm faster and grants more overall DPS (counting the lightnings). Try it, you won't have the extra movement speed from the Yasha, but the pushing power is the same (if not even better) than with illusions; it doesn't give you stats, and that's why I sometimes go for a BKB after the Maelstrom.

I'd give you a 9/10 for the build, why do I never find players that build Mirana like that? D:

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » May 27, 2014 1:02pm | Report
siktastic wrote:

Pretty good over all, no "bad" Item choices whatsoever (probably why I forgot to mention it X{D )

These are perfectly good starting Items for Mid/Safe Lane Mirana, you get enough Stats to secure Last Hits and due to your long Attack Range, you don't really take much harrassfrom most Heroes, so 1 set of Tango]es is enough (especially since you got a [[Bottle)

Ring of Aquila and Phase Boots are a solid choice, they both give you better Damage for Farming against Invoker, and Phase gives you good Mobility for Ganking.

Drum of Endurance was a smart pickup, since they started grouping up early, having fast Stats and a cheap Aura is always good in early Teamfights.

Manta Style is the only questionable Item here. Its not a bad pickup, but since you were grouped up a lot, you weren't using the Illusions to Split-Push, and the only thing you needed Purging was the Silence from Puck, but if you stay back in fights, you should be able to avoid it. You've already got enoguh Mobility from Phase Boots + Drum of Endurance + Leap, so I'm not sure you needed any more.

A Maelstrom might have been better, it increases your Damage output significantly, don't underestimate those Lightning Procs 8{D

I'd give you a 9/10 for the build, why do I never find players that build Mirana like that? D:

-_-

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » May 27, 2014 1:56pm | Report
Don't lie, you always skip Drums. :D

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved