Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Xyrus's #RoadTo4k Thread

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Xyrus's #RoadTo4k Thread 122 posts - page 5 of 13
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » January 4, 2016 1:08pm | Report
Blubbles wrote:

Maybe we can move this debate over to another thread because I think this one should stick to Xyrus's Hero Pool instead of How to raise MMR

Xyrus clearly says "aiming for 4k Solo Ranked Matchmaking Rating!!!" on his title, and everywhere after that. One aspect of his journey is hero pool, but that's not his goal, he wants to exactly raise his mmr, so it makes sense the discussion would be exactly about that. This being said, how about we let Xyrus decide himself if this advices suit him or complain about it so that people stick to his hero pool or something else he wants? It's his thread, after all, let him be the one to judge instead of getting paranoid with offtopic or salty discussions, to disagree is healthy, look at how much points of view Xyrus can get from this.

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Steam: Chi-Chi
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » January 5, 2016 3:23am | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

So pick heroes that you can play in ranked and improve your game. If you becone better you win more, have a higher positve impact in your games, you win more. You can do that with any role.

A wise 6k (mainly support) player recently told me that even though I enjoy Supporting, I should Carry myself to 4k

So I'm going to stick with avoiding Supports and focus on Carrying as I originally planned. Once I reach 4k, I'll consider playing Supports once again. I know I've already mentioned this, but in my current bracket, you can get a Teamwipe outside of Roshan with a Slardar and a Medaillion of Courage wielding Dazzle on your team...and your team will head into the Jungle...no ez Rosh, no Towers...just...4-man Jungling....while Dazzle sheds a tear trying to Solo Rosh...

It may not happen every game, there may be games that I cannot win no matter what I do, but I'll still look at how I alone could have won them.
Dimonychan wrote:

But if you are really good and you want to raise your MMR, spamming heroes from a select pool is the best way. This "play a lot of heroes and be versatile" mantra is absolute ********, there are few players who really achieved something decent that way and they have really played a lot and had titanic nerves.

This is the truth, in order to raise MMR, you need to be at the top of your game, and in order to do that, you need to practice regularly and learn your Heroes inside out.
Timminatorr wrote:

So stuff that actually makes sense now. Want to get more MMR, IMPROVE. Dont suddenly pick these heroes like PA that you hardly played recently and dont have good results with, pick heroes that you actually won with in unranked too. If that include meta heroes then sure, if you happen to suck with a hero cause you arent good pressing your advantage then either improve that or pick another hero. (Not saying you do xyrus, just an example)
So pick heroes that you can play in ranked and improve your game. If you becone better you win more, have a higher positve impact in your games, you win more. You can do that with any role.

This issue is, that a lot of my most played Hero Pool are Supports (I include Leshrac as a Support since roughly 80/82 of the game listed there were in old Metas, back when he used to be a niche Support pick in competetive).

That leaves me with Windrunner and Juggernaut. So naturally, I'm going to have to learn new Heroes, hence why I'm playing them in UNranked until I get comfortable with them.

asterkm wrote:

Might sound stupid, but I still think matchmaking is broken. You should be matched with players of similar knowledge of game and considering rank, level, wins...whatever. This 'similar knowledge' is very important part of game.

Problem is, there's no reliable metric for determining a person's knowledge of the game. 8{(
Blubbles wrote:

Maybe we can move this debate over to another thread because I think this one should stick to Xyrus's Hero Pool instead of How to raise MMR

ChiChi wrote:

Xyrus clearly says "aiming for 4k Solo Ranked Matchmaking Rating!!!" on his title, and everywhere after that. One aspect of his journey is hero pool, but that's not his goal, he wants to exactly raise his mmr, so it makes sense the discussion would be exactly about that. This being said, how about we let Xyrus decide himself if this advices suit him or complain about it so that people stick to his hero pool or something else he wants? It's his thread, after all, let him be the one to judge instead of getting paranoid with offtopic or salty discussions, to disagree is healthy, look at how much points of view Xyrus can get from this.

Guys, let's not change this thread to a "How To Get Better" thread. Let's just advice him and he'll do what he thinks is right. Obviously different people would have different opinions about how he should reach 4k. Let's not lunge at each other just because someone thinks differently than us!

Also, spam heroes which you are really comfortable with. I mean like you already play at a 4k level with those heroes. That'll get you there. Eventually.

ChiChi called it, it's a #RoadTo4k thread, general posts about raising MMR and improving gameplay are relevant here. In the end, I'll decide if I want to take advice or leave it. It'll be interesting to see how the advice compares to the results at the end of the #Road.

Thankfully, today, I have time for Doto, new entry coming...eventually! <}3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by asterkm » January 5, 2016 3:56am | Report
Quoted:
Problem is, there's no reliable metric for determining a person's knowledge of the game. 8{(

But it is very important to be aware of some basic concepts which do make lot of difference, like knowing what position you can play with certain hero, or make good picks according to all other picks made on team, it might not be big difference, but it makes world of difference.

For example, you want to play solo ranked game of captain mode, and your captain without knowing and having basic understanding of game, makes some random picks and bans - but you have similar or same rank - of 5 whatever, pub stompers, carry heros, making you regret to even start game, you know it wont be any fun, not even challenge to try to play, and you will lose that game becuse of that small amount of knowledge to be able to pick team that would maybe just be able to work, and to be playable, and if you win this game, you will be aware it wasnt fun at all, and it wasn't good dota. Not saying that player who made picks doesn't know that, just saying it is important that players of some levels know this and just basiclly understand why it is important. It should make difference. This is what mmr can't really value, but pop quiz could do it.
I want mango avatar :(

asterkm

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Lofy » January 6, 2016 2:01pm | Report
As for hero pool some one mentioned weaver or LC? i think both heroes are strong - seen weaver winning games solo, Legion also if she get's enough victories. Both Heroes teach u something- When to go in and when not to go in. (Legion is more forgiving) Both could possible go to different lanes.

Something i find realy usefull ist playing spectre. Since i started playing Spec my map awarness got better. unlike i wouldn't recomend her to play in ranked. Not reliable enough.

Btw if u climb in mmr you get better. Because the ******** talking often gets better to. They flame u but for other things.

Quotes:
"All-dead and u don't push u dumb ****"
"Why u def tower vs 4 enemies solo - are u ******ed"
"Do you even know how to Split Push"

Played 2 games with a 5k,4k mates and after that i won 3 games in a row simply by doing simple things. Killed Alchi Illusions instantly with lion. Camped runes my warding got better i payed more attention to dewarding, and so on. After 3 days i was back to normal level and lost games :(

Lofy

View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » January 11, 2016 4:08am | Report

JANUARY 11TH

Hero #3 has been decided:-

I'm not always going to get a Lane every game, so having a Jungler in the pool is a must. The good thing about Nature's Prophet is that I can pretty much dominate any Lane I want once I get good at him and can create space and Rat Towers by myself. <}3

Sniping Couriers is surprisingly difficult though. 8{(

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » January 11, 2016 4:31am | Report
Hey Xyrus, why don't you try Enigma? Good Black Holes can turn around the game and he can secure a double kill in a gank after level 6.
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » January 11, 2016 4:50am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

Finally, a viable hero. He's really dominant in the offlane especially against bad pub lanes, he can jungle and win the early game with ganks, and he's strong at any point in the game.

If I have some advice about Furion, it is : take advantage of his versatility. He can be built for pickoffs (items like orchid, dagon, sheep...), he can be built for rat dota (dagger, forcestaff, necrobook...), and he can be built for massive tree push when facing low counterpush teams (aghs + octarine). This makes him pretty much good against everything if you adapt to what's thrown at you.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » January 11, 2016 6:08am | Report
Unscathed wrote:

Hey Xyrus, why don't you try Enigma? Good Black Holes can turn around the game and he can secure a double kill in a gank after level 6.

Because the main point of Enigma is early Pushing with your team. I can't trust my team to group up and Push every game, and I have no way of telling which games they'll do it in or not. With Profit, I can still Push early if my team are willing to 5-man, but I can adapt to the Situation...
Hamstertamer wrote:

If I have some advice about Furion, it is : take advantage of his versatility. He can be built for pickoffs (items like orchid, dagon, sheep...), he can be built for rat dota (dagger, forcestaff, necrobook...), and he can be built for massive tree push when facing low counterpush teams (aghs + octarine). This makes him pretty much good against everything if you adapt to what's thrown at you.

...basically, this ^

Enigma just doesn't have the same impact in Pubs. Remember, I'll be with players that are so bad, they won't Push Towers after a Teamwipe, and while Enimga adds Pushing Power, he provides very little on his own. Winning Teamfights is meaningless if I can't kill the Ancient.

EDT:

I also have to try the new Slahser's way Phantom Assassin. Not entirely sure why Satanic 1st, but who knows, maybe I'll see the logic behind it when I try it. <}3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by caine1232 » January 11, 2016 6:36am | Report
If you really just want to grind MMR learn earth spirit.

caine1232

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sp3ctr3 » January 11, 2016 6:48am | Report
What about Razor?? He has a lot of pushing power, he has a lot of teamfigth power and can dominate the lane only by himself. Also, a lot of people tend to ignore him and they pay it with their lives.
Also how do you feel about Lycan??

Sp3ctr3

Notable (4)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved