Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Solo-Mid vs. Solo Off-Lane for Magnus

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Solo-Mid vs. Solo Off-Lane for Magnus 32 posts - page 2 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » May 30, 2015 5:53pm | Report
Fedorable wrote:

So, what am I missing? Why is it that people run Magnus as a solo-mid when his goal is the same as every other off-laner; to get level 6 and get a Blink Dagger? Can someone enlighten me?

Magnus solo offlane is prefectly legit. There's aboluutely nothing wrong with that. I even played Mag as a support in a few games and it worked pretty well.

The reason why he's mostly played as a mid is, there's still a big difference between Magnus and Centaur Warrunner / Clockwerk/ Batrider :

- Magnus is a scaling hero, while Cent/Clock/Bat are not. True, Mag only needs blink to be effective, but unlike those guys, Mag scales with items OTHER than blink. Farming any mana item like Blade Mail or Force Staff + a Refresher Orb more or less makes the hero twice as strong, and if you can get that farm you get a big advantage. Or you can play him as a semi-carry with a Mask of Madness + Daedalus. Often Mag also needs Black King Bar. And now you can even get an Octarine Core to reduce the cooldown of Reverse Polarity and of Refresher Orb.
The big difference is that offlaners like Centaur only need a Blink Dagger, essentially any other item is luxury. Mag scales far better with items which justifies giving him mid farm.

- Magnus wins mid. He really does well in almost every mid matchup. Even against the most cancer mid heroes like Viper or outworld devourer...he can just sit back and spam Shockwave and he'll draw the lane. And he can use invis/haste runes + Skewer into tower range to get kills. While on the other hand, Clockwerk or Centaur Warrunner mid will ALWAYS lose the lane unless they get several kills (and they have no real way to get them), and Batrider mid was legit at some point but he just got nerfed too hard for it to work anymore.
While on the other hand Mag offlane will often get crushed and get zoned out of lane. Having an escape is only a small part of offlaning. The most important part of offlaning is having a way to trade hits with supports and not get zoned out, and Mag can't really do that.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » May 30, 2015 9:16pm | Report
Quoted:
- Magnus wins mid. He really does well in almost every mid matchup. Even against the most cancer mid heroes like Viper or Outworld Devourer...

Against Viper - sure. Against outworld devourer, not really, you can't spam Shockwave with no mana.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » May 30, 2015 9:39pm | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

Against Viper - sure. Against outworld devourer, not really, you can't spam Shockwave with no mana.

Astral Imprisonment has 500 cast range.

Shockwave has 1150 range.

Sit back out of range and spam Q, and get the runes. Ez mid ez life :)

You can even rush a Soul Ring against OD for maximum spamminess, and with SR you don't care about astral anymore. There's really no way you can lose this lane. You won't win it, but drawing mid against OD is already something few heroes can do.

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » May 30, 2015 10:02pm | Report
Quoted:
You can even rush a Soul Ring against OD for maximum spamminess, and with SR you don't care about astral anymore. There's really no way you can lose this lane. You won't win it, but drawing mid against OD is already something few heroes can do.

You don't win against OD, nor you draw. You're going to get out CS'd no matter what. OD has such an easy job denying as well thanks to the high base damage, the major culprit being the ranged creep which Shockwave will always leave at 1 hit away from death - easiest deny of my life. You'll lose XP as well thanks to a well timed Astral. You get close, you get Astraled. You stay high ground, a ward will make sure you get Astraled. Eventually, you'll start cursing the day you wasted 800 gold on a placeholder item instead of saving it up in the bank for Blink Dagger.

Plus, the repeated Soul Ring usage (even with Bottle) leaves you pretty vulnerable to a Sanity's Eclipse.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » May 30, 2015 11:22pm | Report
The textdoto is strong in this one.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » May 31, 2015 12:14am | Report
I guess the only way to solve this is to have Hamster and Wulfy do a 1v1 mid match with Hamster on Magnus and Wulfy on outworld devourer

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » May 31, 2015 2:39am | Report
CapnDaft wrote:

That is why it is good when it is a defensive/greedy tri-lane

You ca. Make it happen

defensive is even worse! your going to have a 2 supports whose primary purpose is to protect the carry at all costs and their farm. that means harass and harass and harass. magnus offlane is only viable when there is a jungler or you are going dual lane lich magnus.

which btw lich magnus is so scary at all stages of the game.

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » May 31, 2015 5:18am | Report
Fedorable wrote:

I guess the only way to solve this is to have Hamster and Wulfy do a 1v1 mid match with Hamster on Magnus and Wulfy on outworld devourer

Post a replay if that happens.

Smuggels wrote:
lich Magnus is scary at all stages of game

Played against that once. Got rekt pretty hard since mid game. Idk about early game cuz I didn't lane against them.

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by CapnDaft » May 31, 2015 5:29am | Report
Smuggels wrote:

defensive is even worse! your going to have a 2 supports whose primary purpose is to protect the carry at all costs and their farm. that means harass and harass and harass. magnus offlane is only viable when there is a jungler or you are going dual lane lich magnus.

which btw lich magnus is so scary at all stages of the game.

The problem doesn't come from the fact that mag gets harassed, an offlane mag shouldn't even be close creepwave, you got showckwave and you'll have bottle. The problem comes if it is something agressive, like a fissure or something like. I mean, if all they do is really protecting then you'll most likely be fine and get a relatively good time there unless you get outplayed...
Spoiler: Click to view

CapnDaft

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (8)
Steam: Captain Daft
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » May 31, 2015 5:58am | Report
Fedorable wrote:

This is like, the worst idea ever :)

The mid matchup where nothing ever happened. The first one to die of boredom loses.

Seriously, just look up outworld devourer vs outworld devourer matchups in 1 v 1 mid championships. 20 minutes straight of spamming Astral Imprisonment and AFK hitting creeps. ResidentSleeper.

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved