Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Solo-Mid vs. Solo Off-Lane for Magnus

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Solo-Mid vs. Solo Off-Lane for Magnus 32 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » May 30, 2015 4:02pm | Report
I've been watching a few Magnus games as of late and the thing I've noticed is that he's laned mid as opposed to the offlane. What I don't understand is why Magnus is predominately laned as a solo-mid when he's essentially an initiator like Batrider, Clockwerk or Centaur Warrunner . He could get the quick levels in the off-lane and Shockwave could help him get cs that other off-laners usually can't get.

So, what am I missing? Why is it that people run Magnus as a solo-mid when his goal is the same as every other off-laner; to get level 6 and get a Blink Dagger? Can someone enlighten me?

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » May 30, 2015 4:16pm | Report
He's not all that tanky and his escape has a REALLY long cooldown.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » May 30, 2015 4:18pm | Report
I dont really know why you are so suprised, isnt it common knowledge that mag is primarily a mid?

The reason is that he is really greedy for an offlaner, he has an ok at best escape with a long cooldown, needs levels for all 3 spells, and NEEDS a blink to do stuff. A puck for example who is also a greedy offlaner has 2 spells who enable him to survive, and can do way more without a blink, since coil is easier to land then RP, and she has more nukes.
And most of the time to actually function optimal you will also need a force, probably a BKB, and eventually a refresher. As a 3 position the chance of getting all that is just really low.

Also offlane does not mean high levels, just because you are alone doesnt mean that you will get all the XP, if one or two supports zone you out you will be level and gold starved. He also doesnt have a way to pressure the opponent or the supports.
Besides, offlane does not mean that you HAVE to be an initiator, and being mid doesnt mean you cant be an initiator.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » May 30, 2015 4:22pm | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

I dont really know why you are so suprised, isnt it common knowledge that mag is primarily a mid?

I know that he is a mid hero, it's just that his skill set seems to suggest that he could be a possible offlaner.

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » May 30, 2015 4:29pm | Report
It seems its because he has good rune control, can easily win a lot of mid matchups due to Empower granting bonus damage, and often times, Magnus is better to get more items on than those other guys, like a Black King Bar, Force Staff, Octarine Core. Plus, his dagger dependence is way higher than all the other offlane initiators.

He is also better at a 1v1 matchup than a 1v2 or 1v3, since Skewer's cooldown is kind of ridiculously long.

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » May 30, 2015 4:33pm | Report
Like Tim and sofa said, because of his lack of tankiness and good escape mech, he is primarily played as a mid. He also takes time to burst down his opponents and has almost no cc before lvl 6 (don't count the slow from Skewer, too unreliable.)

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by CapnDaft » May 30, 2015 4:35pm | Report
Alrigtht people.

Offlane mag is a thing. Empire runs it this way, and sumsrift. Magnus offlane is a greedy pick, but can work against defensive/greedy tri-lanes. He needs a bottle asap, and since he has some kind of rune control abilities with Skewer it is possible.

Magnus mid is obviously what fits him best, don't need to explain why.

I like to run him offlane, but you HAVE to get a good start with him (2-3 levels relatively quickly), otherwise it would be a big waste.
Spoiler: Click to view

CapnDaft

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (8)
Steam: Captain Daft
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » May 30, 2015 4:39pm | Report
CapnDaft wrote:

HAVE to get a good start with him (2-3 levels relatively quickly), otherwise it would be a big waste.

That's what is tough! Especially against good supports.

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by CapnDaft » May 30, 2015 4:56pm | Report
That is why it is good when it is a defensive/greedy tri-lane

You ca. Make it happen
Spoiler: Click to view

CapnDaft

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (8)
Steam: Captain Daft
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by MrLocket » May 30, 2015 5:11pm | Report
Mag is better mid most of the time, skewer can help him secure rune (either pusg enemy to upcliff or rush forward to get the rune 1st). With 1 bottle refill mag can spam 3 times shockwave, which is very effective to harass/push the lane/cs. Being an offlane he will have to starve for everything, and can do nothing against most line-up.
My face -> ( / *3*)/

MrLocket

Notable (16)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved