Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Radiance as a damage item

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Build & Guide Discussion » Radiance as a damage item 56 posts - page 4 of 6
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » March 24, 2015 12:19pm | Report
So what you're saying is, Radiance is only good on select cheap heroes and Spectre.

I think you're seriously undervaluing the item. Radiance is a potential boon on tank heroes because it forces enemies to attack/focus them. Sure, it costs a lot of gold, but it can be afforded by #2-3 tanks as a luxury item after the core items have been bought and he is already tanky enough.

Before you compare Radiance and Mjollnir, I'd like to point out that Radiance makes enemies focus you while Mjollnir is a deterant. 2 different items for different styles of play. You don't wanna die as Wraith King? Sure. But I'd like everyone to focus and kill me first so my Reincarnate pops, sort of like a counter initiation so my team can swoop in and kill. Your style is the auto-attack carry, my style is the annoying tank that keep coming back, but both styles have their perks and Radiance really isn't outclassed at all by Mjollnir.

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » March 24, 2015 2:35pm | Report
This is a Radiance thread and I haven't seen a single Lone Druid.

EDIT: Nvm, Hamster did. :D

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » March 25, 2015 11:15am | Report
porygon361 wrote:

So what you're saying is, Radiance is only good on select cheap heroes and Spectre.

I think you're seriously undervaluing the item. Radiance is a potential boon on tank heroes because it forces enemies to attack/focus them. Sure, it costs a lot of gold, but it can be afforded by #2-3 tanks as a luxury item after the core items have been bought and he is already tanky enough.

Before you compare Radiance and Mjollnir, I'd like to point out that Radiance makes enemies focus you while Mjollnir is a deterant. 2 different items for different styles of play. You don't wanna die as Wraith King? Sure. But I'd like everyone to focus and kill me first so my Reincarnate pops, sort of like a counter initiation so my team can swoop in and kill. Your style is the auto-attack carry, my style is the annoying tank that keep coming back, but both styles have their perks and Radiance really isn't outclassed at all by Mjollnir.

Ok, this is my problem with wraith king radiance.
1: you have to farm for a long time just do do anything, you cant contribute anything in the early game apart from a stun, so joining teamfights is not really an option. If not everything goes ideal then an 18 min radiance without any stat items is very realistic.
And once you commit to it, you have to finish it, yiu cant switch to an early fighting build after getting a relic, with the mjollnir build you can go maelstrom ino blink for instance.
2: what the item provides besides the burn damage is very little. 65 damage, without any attack speed is very little DPS. A wraith king with just a mjollnir and basher can manfight an lock down a lot of carries with his DPS, massive lifesteal and crits.
3: radiance damage only keeps getting worse, while mjollnir scales with attack speed and HP.
Besides, id rather start chopping away instead of slowly killing a 1500 HP target in 40 seconds....
4: you are not going to stop any initiations with radiance burn, it has 700 range and takes a second to start damaging, so if an enemy has 350 ms he can potentially walk into 350 range before he cant blink anymore. It will only stop blinking out on enemies who have a faster MS then you.

Radiance wraith king has a short period where you cant ignore him, mjollnir wraith king is better earlygame, is more versatile, and better after 25 minutes.

In still going to say mjollnir outclasses radiance on wraith king. It ****s over the buildup, makes you weaker both early and later in the game.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » March 25, 2015 11:58am | Report
1)Have you heard of Blade Mail and Drum of Endurance? Wraith King just wrecks early-mid teamfights with these items and he has no problem getting this 3800 gold chunk with teamfight gold and farming(he farms fast enough with crits, Quelling Blade and Mortal Strilke give +71% of average dmg to creeps).

2)Mjollnir and basher fun ends when you are stunned, [{Radiance]] will still burn, and you really underestimate it, the damage is huge becaue Wraith King starts the fight and in most cases stays there until the end. With Radiance, Blade Mail and Drun of Endurance he still has terrific damage output as practice shows - his crit is just that good.

3)If you apporoach it that way(more AS->more lightnings->more damage yada yada), Radicane also scales with Wraith King getting more and more hitpoints.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » March 25, 2015 11:59am | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

Ok, this is my problem with wraith king radiance.
1: you have to farm for a long time just do do anything, you cant contribute anything in the early game apart from a stun, so joining teamfights is not really an option. If not everything goes ideal then an 18 min radiance without any stat items is very realistic.
And once you commit to it, you have to finish it, yiu cant switch to an early fighting build after getting a relic, with the mjollnir build you can go maelstrom ino blink for instance.
2: what the item provides besides the burn damage is very little. 65 damage, without any attack speed is very little DPS. A wraith king with just a mjollnir and basher can manfight an lock down a lot of carries with his DPS, massive lifesteal and crits.
3: radiance damage only keeps getting worse, while mjollnir scales with attack speed and HP.
Besides, id rather start chopping away instead of slowly killing a 1500 HP target in 40 seconds....
4: you are not going to stop any initiations with radiance burn, it has 700 range and takes a second to start damaging, so if an enemy has 350 ms he can potentially walk into 350 range before he cant blink anymore. It will only stop blinking out on enemies who have a faster MS then you.

Radiance wraith king has a short period where you cant ignore him, mjollnir wraith king is better earlygame, is more versatile, and better after 25 minutes.

In still going to say mjollnir outclasses radiance on wraith king. It ****s over the buildup, makes you weaker both early and later in the game.

1. I don't know what you're talking about. I go Hand of Midas into Blademail and still get Radiance at 20 minutes if my team doesn't screw up bad. AND I can still fight in small skirmishes early on before the Radiance. Even in games where I get a 10 minute Hand of Midas without boots due to a hard lane, I can still get a 25 minutes Radiance with little to no kills.

2. I mentioned it in my previous post, both items are different in a sense. Besides, you can still destroy anyone with crazy criticals, considering that level 4 Mortal Strike is basically an only slightly-gimped level 2 Coup de Grace. Also, Radiance is more useful when you're stunlocked and in situations where enemies could have blinked away from you.

3. Radiance scales with attack speed (since it is a damage item) and HP. Your argument is invalid. And does buying Radiance disarm Wraith King? Because the way you phrased your argument seems like it's the case.

4. Thing is, you WANT to be initiated on if you go the Radiance build, AKA the "Annoying Tank" strat. If they initiate on and focus you till you "die", it serves as a sort of diversion and counter-initiation for your team. Then you resurrect and rek face. And you can still buy Blink Dagger after/before Radiance to help you chase better.

And I'm not even gonna mention how the Mjollnir buff will risk you getting stunlocked and ignored while the enemy team destroys your teammates, while with Radiance, you'll annoy 90% of enemies (100% if they have blinks) and they'll focus you while your squishy team does their magic. Oh wait, I just did.

EDIT:
You can tell if someone is biased if he completely rejects an idea without stating any of its merits *subtly suggests that Tim's post was far from objective*

Hero Idea Archive

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » March 25, 2015 2:06pm | Report
Ok boys here's another one.

Radiance on Night Stalker.

Before you report me for buying a farming item on a ganker, hear that : you don't buy it as a farming item, you buy it as the ultimate snowball item.

NS is one of these heroes who can do ridiculously well in the early game, right? So in the first 4 minutes of the game you farmed your Bottle, your plain boots, and your urn or something. Then at 4 minutes you went on a ganking spree and got 6 kills. That's 6*300 = 1800 gold that instantly lands in your pocked PLUS the gold you got from creeps (let's say 10 creeps = 500 gold). So that's 2300 instant gold you have at 8 minutes. Then until 12 minutes you go back to farming so let's say 20 more creeps for you for 1000 gold. Besides you gain a basic income of 100 gold per minute so that's 1200 gold in 12 minutes as well. So at the 12 minute mark with a good early game you're sitting on 4500 gold. So get that Sacred Relic :)

Essentially a NS who's doing well in the early game with ganks (as the hero usually does) can get a 16 minute Radiance and all while being active on the map and never being AFK farm.

And NS can use radiance really well because he's always at max movement speed so he can keep heroes in the aura all the time. Besides he doesn't really need items to be a successful ganker in the early game, he only needs items to stay relevant later in the game. Some people go Hand of Midas on him, but I absolutely despise that build because it's a pure farming item that brings nothing to fights on a hero who's not a farmer. Instead with a radiance you get some really good teamfight presence on a hero who's normally weak in teamfights, and you can use the advantage you got from a good early game by 5-manning and pushing towers (radiance is awesome for that).
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » March 25, 2015 7:46pm | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

Some people go Hand of Midas on him, but I absolutely despise that build because it's a pure farming item that brings nothing to fights on a hero who's not a farmer. Instead with a radiance you get some really good teamfight presence on a hero who's normally weak in teamfights, and you can use the advantage you got from a good early game by 5-manning and pushing towers (radiance is awesome for that).

It's purely for the faster lvl11 and 16. You buy it so you spend less time farming and more time fighting in the early game. I'm not a fan of it either though tbh.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » March 25, 2015 8:26pm | Report
Gankers don't need a midas for levels. 1 hero kill = 1 level :)

For the "spend less time farming and more time fighting"...that's a great argument for "assassin" carries like Morphling (midas into Eblade), Chaos Knight (midas into armlet) or Clinkz (midas into orchid, deso or whatever), or even Spectre (midas into balling stuff like diffu manta). But that's because you want to get tons of farm on your carry while you're roaming for kills. NS doesn't really work that way.

Issue with midas is that it brings literally nothing to fights, unlike a Maelstrom or a Radiance who are both really good in teamfights. That's why I'd prefer the other farming items on NS who's fighting all the time.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » March 26, 2015 11:53am | Report
porygon361 wrote:

1. I don't know what you're talking about. I go Hand of Midas into Blademail and still get Radiance at 20 minutes if my team doesn't screw up bad. AND I can still fight in small skirmishes early on before the Radiance. Even in games where I get a 10 minute Hand of Midas without boots due to a hard lane, I can still get a 25 minutes Radiance with little to no kills.

Im simply going to call BS on this. Yiu cant assume you are going to get this amount of farm in a game. This is 100g more then an anti mage with treads, BF manta that got absolute freefarm or multiple kills. If the game goes well you would get it at 25 minutes, and if it doesnt go that well even later. So all this time untill 25 minutes at least you are walking around without a blink, ****py farm speed, and ****ty DPS. And when you finally het your radiance between 25 and 30 minutes in a realistic game they will have BKB's and mobility items, and you cant stop people from prematurely blinking away or on you.
Realistic teamfights are not clumpfests where everyone is around the immobile melee hero.

2. I mentioned it in my previous post, both items are different in a sense. Besides, you can still destroy anyone with crazy criticals, considering that level 4 Mortal Strike is basically an only slightly-gimped level 2 Coup de Grace. Also, Radiance is more useful when you're stunlocked and in situations where enemies could have blinked away from you.

3. Radiance scales with attack speed (since it is a damage item) and HP. Your argument is invalid. And does buying Radiance disarm Wraith King? Because the way you phrased your argument seems like it's the case.

sure, but its only the least cost effective damage item in the game, and you wont have any attack speed untill atleast 35 minutes.

4. Thing is, you WANT to be initiated on if you go the Radiance build, AKA the "Annoying Tank" strat. If they initiate on and focus you till you "die", it serves as a sort of diversion and counter-initiation for your team. Then you resurrect and rek face. And you can still buy Blink Dagger after/before Radiance to help you chase better.

sure you can switch it up and buy the radiance later and stuff, but why would you?
The later you get radiancd the ****tier it becomes.
And you are saying that with mjollnir everyone will just ignore me after they stunned me because they dont want to attack me? You buy blademail! They wont want to attack you either. I get that you are trying to so the cheesy whooooo do you attack me or get buuuuurned thing, but come on, wouldnt you rather slice away at them with high attack speed and a psuedo blademail?

And I'm not even gonna mention how the Mjollnir buff will risk you getting stunlocked and ignored while the enemy team destroys your teammates, while with Radiance, you'll annoy 90% of enemies (100% if they have blinks) and they'll focus you while your squishy team does their magic. Oh wait, I just did.

I already slightly commented on this, but come on, every 2/3 instances of damage your receive from anything that is not something weird like heartstopper, disperson, fatal bonds and stuff, you blast out lightning that does that does the same amount of damage ON A HIGHER RANGE that radiance does in 4 seconds. Meanwhile you also have faster farming speed, DPS and therefore lifesteal, and have now made a path for an excellent followup item called basher.
Seriously, wouldnt you rather be an actual carry and use your 2 passives instead of slowly killing a support over the course of half a minute who has a high chance of not even being in range.
And come on, you are not going to influence anyone witg a blink dagger apart from a fleeing enemy who somehow managed to not get hit by your or one of your teammates attacks for 3 seconds.

EDIT:
You can tell if someone is biased if he completely rejects an idea without stating any of its merits *subtly suggests that Tim's post was far from objective*

As opposed to someone who makes up completely unrealistic item timings.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » March 26, 2015 12:56pm | Report
Oh well, it's not fun arguing with someone who doesn't want to engage in a meaningful discussion anyway. Peace out and enjoy being right all the time, I guess.

Hero Idea Archive

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved