Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Spectre, Medusa, Void

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Spectre, Medusa, Void 69 posts - page 1 of 7
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by dota2expert » May 27, 2014 8:13pm | Report
Hi, I like to be precise when I attempt to counterpick so please confirm the following information.
In general, though only Void can manfight other carries lategame, the top three sucky aka-ridiculously item dependent carries are considered to be(without order): Void, Medusa and Spectre.

Void excels when the heroes are a mix of short-range and Melee, as he can then get off a good chrono.
Medusa excels when most everyone is melee, allowing her ult to be somewhat effective. She will not work well with her team if her team has magic-based ultis unless properly coordinated.
Spectre excels when the other team either has poor positioning or will be spread out in team fights, allowing neither of the other carries' ultimates to be very effective. This is important because, though each of the carries have a unique highlight other than their ult(time lock, splitshot, dispersion), they wouldn't carry very well without them.

Each carry excels in his/her area and will outcarry both of the others in some games(6 slotted lvl 25). Each of the three has a farming advantage:
Spectre, like Morphling and PL, can splitpush. But what's unique is that she can instantly join a fight, allowing her to be constantly getting farm without making her team lose.
Medusa has split shot, allowing her to ancient jungle rapidly from lvl 1.
Void has high base damage, a bash and decent agility gain, so getting battlefury is feasible on him.

The reason I'm asking is because I've seen so many threads where people claim that there's a linear order(in general):
Void>Spectre>Medusa>Morphling
But my friends and experience tell me that the situational hero may outcarry the others, allowing a Spectre to outcarry a Void and a Morphling a Medusa when 6 slotted.

dota2expert

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sp12 » May 27, 2014 9:02pm | Report
These discussions aren't that relevant because it comes down to the supporting cast so much.

I would say that Void is a good Medusa counter in general though.
Feel free to check out my guides for Spectre, Dragon Knight, Siren, Medusa, Sniper, Disruptor, or Void. They're pretty cool.

Sp12

Remarkable (25)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by FleetAU » May 27, 2014 9:04pm | Report
most heroes are really frightening late game when 6 slotted, some of the really scary ones include: Ember Spirit, void, Spectre, Shadow Fiend, Phantom Lancer, Medusa, anti mage. All of these are really frightening heroes. Personally I think void is the most scary as he effectively has a 5 second aoe stun and when he hits for over 1000 damage in the aoe **** goes down. Also if playing ember spirit for example if you use sleight of fist in which you can take no damage and deal a lot void can just dodge it, he can also dodge things like Finger of Death. I would say there is a liner order of sorts, more like different tiers though.

Basic tier idea:
Techies :3
Faceless void-Spectre-Phantom Lancer-Anti mage-Medusa
Morphling-Ember spirit-phantom ***asain-Shadow feind
Kunkka-Lycan
Lion-Lina

this is by no means accurate or inclusive of heroes, its just an example
Do as I say, not what I do

FleetAU

Notable (16)
Steam: Fleet™
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » May 27, 2014 9:35pm | Report
whoa fleet.
NO tiny?No Sven? DK? Drow? Luna? Riki? Terroeblade? Wraith King? Weaver? Slark? naga? Gyro? Juggernaut?Troll?

sorry but i just couldn't resist since you excluded some top tier carries and included some not-so-top-tier once :P

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » May 27, 2014 9:41pm | Report
and BTW, the new void is Pretty dangerous.I exploited this fact pretty early on(attackspeed OP build). you can basically ground people into dust early game with MoM<Maelstrom<treads

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » May 27, 2014 10:59pm | Report
Eliminating external factors, the best lategame is in this order: medusa>spectre>naga>void.

In very lategame ability to live through fights becomes more important then just standing your ground and doing a lot of right click damage becouse supports will begin to pick up items like scythe, BKB and E-blade.
Void is too dependant on a good ultimate to win a fight, becouse without chronosphere he is just a very decent rightclicker without that much utility in the teamfight, while medusa is almost unkillable, although maybe a bit rapier dependant.
Spectre just kills your entire team and become 7 slotted by having a refresher orb in base which she can either use at the start of a fight in base or after a buyback, just swap out an item for a second that doesnt help out the haunt illusions like a heart.

Naga siren doesnt even need to fight you to win, she just strangles your team and destroys your buildings all around you.

I didnt include tiny in the top 4 becouse he depends a bit on wisp, and morphling becouse apart from his global presence he is a rightclicker like shadow fiend who doesnt carry his team through games like the other heroes, that is why my top 3 is like that, they just give your team so much space by receiving so much punishment while you are still doing work.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » May 28, 2014 1:27am | Report
It is very difficult to determine some of these top end fights - allies, relative farm, exact matchup, counters etc do matter.

For example, while Medusa is one of the hardest carries, she can suffer against mana burners like Anti-Mage and Diffusal Blade illusion heroes, as she's so reliant on mana for her tankiness. Also remember with her that she stacks much better with Physical damage based allies.

No doubt Faceless Void is the hardest carry, on paper at least. He has great passives, but is reliant on his ultimate - enemies who split properly and then stun him during Chrono can turn it around, and it only takes one wasted Chrono to potentially lose the game. He can struggle with split pushers and illusionists.

Spectre is very strong once she gets going, ability to farm then turn up for ganks/fights is strong, and she's a pain in the ars* for Blink Dagger reliant team fighters who suddenly can't get where they need to be.

I wouldn't say Shadow Fiend is a particularly great late game carry at equal farm, his bonus doesn't scale particularly well. However, he can be very scary purely due to his farming speed - he can get 6 slotted earlier than others and snowballs a lot harder too.

A good Naga Siren is a pure bullsh*t rat hero - farms like crazy with Radiance and it's very hard to force a fight against her, played smart she's pretty OP tbh.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » May 28, 2014 2:57am | Report
why no Terrorblade pushes faster, more illusions, more scout, more damage, more survivability.

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » May 28, 2014 3:12am | Report
Guess it depends on what you mean by "lategame" - heroes who can manfight or teamfight the best, or heroes who can win through ratting? Both types can win you the game.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » May 28, 2014 3:17am | Report
KoDyAbAbA wrote:

why no Terrorblade pushes faster, more illusions, more scout, more damage, more survivability.

compared to naga terrorblade is a bit more lycan'ish.

the thing is naga siren sends illusions everywhere to push and farm, while terrorblade is more about brute force. but that isnt as strong in very late game.
and ofc naga has song of the siren which is amazing in lategame to freeze their whole team while you take their base with illusions.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved