Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Rushing Aghanim on Rubick - Justifiable?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Rushing Aghanim on Rubick - Justifiable? 21 posts - page 2 of 3

Poll Question:

Is rushing Aghanim on Rubick post 6.79 viable?
Always - Aghanim is just *that* good on Rubick now.
Yes, but it depends on the enemy lineup - especially if the enemy team has 2+ Initiators.
Never - Real Rubicks should know when to Steal and which spells to Steal.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » February 10, 2014 10:39am | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

Btw do you think that making the cooldown even shorter would be balenced? Maybe 2 or even 0 seconds?

I think this would be balanced, after all, Invoker gets whichever of his 10 spells he wants every 2 seconds for no Mana with an Aghanim's Scepter. Rubick has much less control over which Ability he steals and there isn't always a good selection to choose from. Removing the Cooldown and Mana Cost completely would be fair imo.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by jawbreaker261 » February 10, 2014 11:46am | Report
Voted never. It's a good item but since Rubick is never seen at mid anymore, he's pretty much relegated to 4/5 roles, where your first "big" item will be a 25-30 minute Blink Dagger or Force Staff (and I've had a lot of games where I had to get the Mekansm).

I make Aghs as my second pickup, but it's very rare that I get rich enough or the game goes long enough that it gets finished.

jawbreaker261

Notable (4)
Steam: jawbreaker261
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by AngeloBangelo » February 10, 2014 3:43pm | Report
Xyrus wrote:

I think this would be balanced, after all, Invoker gets whichever of his 10 spells he wants every 2 seconds for no Mana with an Aghanim's Scepter. Rubick has much less control over which Ability he steals and there isn't always a good selection to choose from. Removing the Cooldown and Mana Cost completely would be fair imo.

True, but invoker's spells are all pretty mediocre. The ability to steal 2-3 ults in a team fight for 0 Mana would be broken. While invoker can tornado, meteorand blast... Rubick would be able to ravage, sonic wave, and black hole. It's comparing apples to oranges since Rubick can use a huge ultimate, then replace it immediately with another good spell. Meanwhile tidehunter has... gush and anchor smash.

AngeloBangelo

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (50)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » February 10, 2014 5:10pm | Report
Im not a good rubick player myself, but i enjoy playing the hero. How often did it happen to me, that i wanted steal that big teamfight ultimate (like Ravage or Reverse Polarity) but when it actually happend, i was caught in it and my team died before i could use it myself. Therefor the range increase sounds awesome. The 5 second cd sounds even better tbh. If you are looking for huge spells to steal, you naturally try to keep your Spell Steal off cooldown and therefor you have to ignore a lot of good spells. So overall i think it would provide some really good utility.

On the other hand however, a position 4/5 rubick will never be able to afford this item...especially if he also want to go for that Blink Dagger, which is exactly why i would vote for the second stated answer.
But hey, who knows....maybe Mid Rubick - like Pepo said - will be viable again ^.^

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » February 11, 2014 12:17pm | Report

True, but invoker's spells are all pretty mediocre. The ability to steal 2-3 ults in a team fight for 0 Mana would be broken. While invoker can tornado, meteorand blast... Rubick would be able to ravage, sonic wave, and black hole. It's comparing apples to oranges since Rubick can use a huge ultimate, then replace it immediately with another good spell. Meanwhile tidehunter has... gush and anchor smash.

An enemy Team being bad enough to let a Rubick steal Ravage + Sonic Wave + Black Hole in one Teamfight does not make 0 Mana + 0 Cooldown Spell Steal OP. You'd think they'd at least catch the Rubick with the Ravage or the Black Hole, or have some other way of dealing with him.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by zequeins » February 11, 2014 4:14pm | Report
Xyrus wrote:
An enemy Team being bad enough to let a Rubick steal Ravage + Sonic Wave + Black Hole in one Teamfight does not make 0 Mana + 0 Cooldown Spell Steal OP. You'd think they'd at least catch the Rubick with the Ravage or the Black Hole, or have some other way of dealing with him.

What about Rubick stealing Ravage, Stealing something else and using Ravage while the new Steal is en route, re-steal Ravage (since Tide would be stunned with the Ravage), rinse and repeat until his mana run out?

Or maybe Doom. Steal Doom (hopefully it's your Carry who took the Doom), cast Doom on Doom, Steal something else, re-steal Doom (0 cd), Doom someone else, Steal something else, re-Steal Doom (since Doom's Doomed and can't cast anything else), Doom someone else until all 5 enemies are Doomed?

Also that's alot of Doom in a single paragraph.

zequeins

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » February 11, 2014 4:42pm | Report
zequeins wrote:

What about Rubick stealing Ravage, Stealing something else and using Ravage while the new Steal is en route, re-steal Ravage (since Tide would be stunned with the Ravage), rinse and repeat until his mana run out?

Or maybe Doom. Steal Doom (hopefully it's your Carry who took the Doom), cast Doom on Doom, Steal something else, re-steal Doom (0 cd), Doom someone else, Steal something else, re-Steal Doom (since Doom's Doomed and can't cast anything else), Doom someone else until all 5 enemies are Doomed?

Also that's alot of Doom in a single paragraph.

1. Mana problems.
2. I don't think the cooldown of a spell you use gets resetted if you get another spell.
3. Doom Doom Doom Doom.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by zequeins » February 11, 2014 4:55pm | Report

1. Mana problems.
2. I don't think the cooldown of a spell you use gets resetted if you get another spell.
3. Doom Doom Doom Doom.

1. I suppose Dooming all 5 is implausible, but maybe 3-4? Assuming Rubick only cast Spellsteal and Doom.
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e8euzMnGww
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqcn_TPu4qQ

zequeins

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » February 11, 2014 6:11pm | Report
zequeins wrote:

True, it would also have to be reworked so that spells retained their Cooldowns if you restole them, since I've never gotten a Refresher Orb, I was unaware of this. ._.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by sulaxrox » February 12, 2014 3:08am | Report
Worked well for me but it depends on if you can get the necessary farm, I took the speed gaming route and played greedy Hand of Midas on a 4 slot rubick (our CM did the same) I ended up with mana boots, aghs, and a force staff, as well as the levels to compensate for the time spent in a safe lane trilane. Ended up stealing Death Pulse to save a TA from Reaper's Scythe, and stole that too to finish Necrophos off, and took on a terrorblade that same game by stealing Metamorphosis (+80 dmg rubick in demon form triple kill=priceless) and blasting away before he could Sunder. Well it helped I had an Invoker cast Alacrity on me, but hilarity ensued l. Aghs is awesome, just don't zero in on it and expect it as a viable option every game, sometimes you just won't have the gold and will be pick up Mek , force staff, blink etc
Step 1: Pick Bristleback
Step 2: type in all chat:"GL hf"
Step 3: solo offlane
Step 4: first blood triple kill solo vs trilane
Step 5: continue head butting keyboard
Step 6: don't care, Bristleback doesn't give a ****
Step 7: screenshot repeated: BB OP comments in all chat
Step 8: alternate games with Slark pick

sulaxrox

Notable (6)
Steam: sulaxrox

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved