Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Im gonna try something stupid on sven

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Im gonna try something stupid on sven 11 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by The amazing A.K.A stupid » September 1, 2014 3:10am | Report
I know this sounds stupid but I happen to actually have spare time to test this in a real match.
So you lets get to the point I will buy maelstorm, hotd and Armlet of Mordiggian as my early items then get drums,AC for my core and so on.

So I never actually thought of this because I am busy right now but I just wanna see if this might work and I can test it or its PLAIN STUPID.Just asking guys because I wanna know if its worth my time to test this I know I said I had free time but I dont want to feed :v
"When we get attacked we fight back for we have faith in our side"

I rarely insult people(like real insult) for I am defenseless against them.

But when I do, I make my point clearly

The amazing A.K.A stupid

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » September 1, 2014 3:19am | Report
Armlet is legit, the drums+armlet are a bit too much early items. Also the mealstrom is not needed, you have cleave to farm and it doesnt synergise that well with your ult. Also you will probably need a BKB. And the AC also isnt needed that early since sven has good armor, especially with warcry.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by The amazing A.K.A stupid » September 1, 2014 3:38am | Report
Ok ty.
However is drums legit on Sven?
I never saw an Sven build with drums in it.
And does Desolator and Medallion of Courage work with sven?

The amazing A.K.A stupid

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » September 1, 2014 4:03am | Report

Yes and no. He cant effect all targets with Deso or MoC, so no. Still, he can amplifies the damage of his main target and the coeave damage is greater.
I dont know. Better ask someone smarter, like Tim or Hamster.
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » September 1, 2014 4:32am | Report
Haha, who's the smart guy now, smart guy? xD

Of course! Stats, movement speed, more mana, decent attack speed, etc. It's more of a mid-game item though, only get it as an early item not later.
Racecar Sven with Drum of Endurance into Sange and Yasha is really fun.

On paper, it works perfectly.
It increases not only your single target damage, but your Great Cleave damage as well. Since cleave damage is based on the damage ACTUALLY done to your target, damage is based on the damage dealt after armor reduction, so cleave damage is amplified as well.
In practice...I usually think that Sven needs attack speed more than other things, though.
Medallion of Courage -> Desolator -> Assault Cuirass Sven sounds really good actually : -18 armor! I used to build Lone Druid this way, it was pretty sick.

I think Maelstrom/ Mjollnir are really good on Sven, not as farming items, but as attack speed/DPS items for teamfights. Sven of one of the best heroes in the game to cast the Mjollnir active on. Generally strength heroes build Assault Cuirass, but armor isn't really Sven's problem so you can get Mjollnir instead.
Sven has already tons of damage from his ult, what he needs is attack speed, and Mjollnir gives more attack speed than any other item.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by The amazing A.K.A stupid » September 1, 2014 5:43am | Report
Ok ty

Quoted:
Haha, who's the smart guy now, smart guy?xD

lol I dont get that meepo picture lol

The amazing A.K.A stupid

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » September 1, 2014 8:18am | Report

I never saw an Sven build with drums in it.

Yes, it's legit on every single Hero, but you don't need on anyone every single game, if you need to fight and Push earlier, someone should buy it. No real reason why it can't be Sven

Yup, they stack, but since Sven already hits like a truck, but lacks Attack Speed, he doesn't benefit from these very much.
Timminatorr wrote:

Armlet is legit, the drums+armlet are a bit too much early items. Also the mealstrom is not needed, you have cleave to farm and it doesnt synergise that well with your ult. Also you will probably need a BKB. And the AC also isnt needed that early since sven has good armor, especially with warcry.

This ^

You already have enough Damage, so Omlette isn't really needed, what you need is a Black King Bar and Attack Speed. Lots of people build Mask of Madness, it's risky, but worth it if you can pull it off.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KrDotoBestDoto » September 1, 2014 10:04am | Report
If there is enough cc on your team I would definetly go for Mask of Madness on Sven since you can just keep hitting people.
If your team lacks cc though you should go for something less risky. Maelstrom can do the job, but having drums and AC could do the job too. It depends on what the situation is and which items the enemy team has.

KrDotoBestDoto

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by zxBLAZExz » September 15, 2014 9:52am | Report
I always like my MoM on Sven because the attack speed is huge for when you can get it. The increased damage taken is easily offset by how much life you regain thanks to your ult. Also, sorry for being late to the party on this one.

zxBLAZExz

Steam: Putin Putin Boom Boom
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Pranzatelli » September 15, 2014 11:15pm | Report
First off, personal love to Hamstertamer. I've been here for a few hours and I've really appreciated all of your contributions I've seen.
This is the only one of your points I disagree with:
"In practice...I usually think that Sven needs attack speed more than other things, though."

From napkin math and personal experience, I've found that anything that multiplies by what an auto-attacker has will work. This is a sloppy rule of thumb (and DPS formulas can only approximate in-game combat) but, generally speaking, I've found a hero with damage likes things like attack speed, armor reduction and crit. It's not that damage suddenly drops in valuable, it's that AS/-Armor/Crit are made more valuable by the fact that they multiply by the damage the hero already has as opposed to adding to it. Sven is an easy person to use napkin DPS math on because he has decent STR and armor from Warcry, making him tanky enough to build glass cannon items like MoM and Medal.
Unfortunately, Daedalus and Desolator come with lots of flat damage, and Helm of the Dominator comes with a lot of armor, which seem to not be as effective as other items in increasing DPS or anti-physical effective health. (I know, it's all on paper, which is very reject-on-principle-able.) On a spreadsheet Sven of variable level with a BKB and Treads hitting a dummy of variable armor, Medal was quite a stunner (though it looks jaw-dropping on paper for nearly everyone, disclaimer: it tapers off about halfway in the game unless you continue stacking -Armor because of how armor is valued blah blah blah), and Butterfly, Mjollnir and Assault Cuirass provided very good damage (in line with attack speed being valued).

With that in mind, I would go Treads->Medal->Armlet->BKB->AC. I agree that Drums is universally lovely, particularly when taking towers apart piece by piece, so if you'd like, throw a Drum in there. Or two. It's more effective to buy another than refill the charges anyway.

Honorable mention goes out to STR, which is worth 3x damage on God's Strength, as well as gives health that goes really far on Warcry's bonus armor. This is, in my opinion, the strong benefit of Armlet of Mordiggian: in addition to the toggle nonsense, Sven also gets 50 more damage out of the active than other heroes, on top of the 25 AS he loves so much.

Pranzatelli

Notable (3)
Steam: thomas.pranzatelli

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved