Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

6.80 - If I were IceFrog

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » 6.80 - If I were IceFrog 29 posts - page 3 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » December 11, 2013 1:04pm | Report

Hand of Midas definitely needs a nerf. In Hearthstone there's a collection of cards called "The magical 16", which are cards that are strongest in the game, which also fit into pretty much any deck. 2 were nerfed yesterday. Midas is one of those cards (Not literally, but it fits the same idea). If you want to promote a game that encourages thinking, creativity, and strategy, there shouldn't be items that EVERY hero gets regardless of the match up. They need to be analyzed the most by developers.

Rather than Nerfing it, I'd rather scale up/down the Cost/Benefits of it. I think there are several ways it can be done, each with their own varying results.

One way I would like to see it retooled, would be to give it limited charges (say 10, so it pays itself off). You then end up with the question "Do I want levels or do I want Farm?". On Carries, this means it can be significantly less desirable than a GPM increasing alternative, say Battlefury, Radiance and Maelstrom. On Mid Heroes, it becomes a great way to reach lvl 16, being highly effective for Casters like Queen of Pain and Invoker but in return, dealys the utility provided by their Core Items, e.g. no Orchid Malevolence for Silence, no Force Staff for Escape, but faster levels for a strong Mid-Game. The same goes with Supports, securing EXP is great, and they don't need much more than Boots and a Wand, but they still have to afford the Midas somehow.

You can combine this with other reworks, by say, scaling the Cost/Gold Returned and fixing the EXP gained at a static value for any unit. This would mean you don't have to worry about finding Satyr Hellcasters with every use, and keeping Cores in the Lanes.

There's even the possibility of making the Midas "Breakable", just like Tranquil Boots, meaning if you're constantly Harrassed, you'll have trouble using it. Even if you have the Free-farm to get an easy Midas, you have to make sure you can use it off-cooldown, making it easier to punish.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » December 12, 2013 4:26am | Report
Well guys, the dota 2 client is now 6.79c - midas recipe cost got up to 1550. A quick nerf for the OP item that wins professional games.

Peppo's guess was pretty close, but the range decrease on his skills were smaller. Though more things were nerfed, so I suppose this is pretty big for the hero.

A guaranteed allied Meathook seemed pretty OP anyway.
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » December 12, 2013 4:34am | Report
samukobo wrote:

Peppo's guess was pretty close, but the range decrease on his skills were smaller. Though more things were nerfed, so I suppose this is pretty big for the hero.

First thing I thought after the 6.79c: I was right!

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » December 15, 2013 4:22am | Report
Some Hero Skills I'd like to see reworked in 6.80

Legion Commander
- Duel duration decreased to 3/3.5/4 second
- Duel can now Target Couriers

Omniknight
- Repel Duration decreased to 6, Cooldown decreased to 13/10/7/4
- Degen Aura Radius increased to 900

Sniper
- Shrapnel Cooldown rescaled to 18/16/14/12, Mana Cost rescaled to 150/130/110/90, Range rescaled to 1200/1400/1600/1800
- Shrapnel Damage per second increased to 15/30/45/60, Radius rescaled to 325/450/575/700, Duration decreased to 8 seconds

Warlock
- if there are less than the maximum amount of targets available when Fatal Bonds, it will Stack on Initial Target, then Subsequent Targets, for a maximum of 3 Stacks. Max Targets increased to 4/5/6/7

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » December 15, 2013 10:53pm | Report
No need to nerf duel.It's good as it is.The warlock change is a bit too much, maybe just increaase the max targets, no stacking and stuff.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » December 16, 2013 3:32am | Report
I don't like the midas nerf :<

Would've been happier if it just got a longer cooldown. The price raise may not seem like much but you really feel the difference when you play a Hand of Midas build with a hard carry. You'll be presssured by time a lot because the 8 min deadline still exists because of the effect not being changed.

I had free farm but couldn't get it until 6 minutes...
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by RmM_oo » December 17, 2013 1:42pm | Report
I guess that Rod of Atos should be X% for every spells + the active cooldown to 40

RmM_oo

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » December 17, 2013 2:34pm | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

No need to nerf duel.It's good as it is.

The buff is needed though 83
Wulfstan wrote:

The warlock change is a bit too much, maybe just increaase the max targets, no stacking and stuff.

Yeah, true

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » December 25, 2013 6:52am | Report
you went too hard on the hand of midas dude. Give some love to that furion would you?

Bring back good ol' shotgun morph!(okay... just increase the attack damage by 3)

nice buff to omni ulti BTW..

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved