Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Hero for a noob

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Hero for a noob 40 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by iambatman » September 7, 2014 9:12am | Report
Hi, ive been having enough with the toxic community of lol and im thinking of slowly transitioning into dota (i cant play full dota since my friends play lol). So im aware of some of the terms like lanes, gankin etc. But i have no idea how to play this damn game :D I see that there are a lot more jungles and the itemization is a lot more complex process (i like lol's more simpler shop better). Also the amount of heros availible is overwhelming and i have abo****ely No idea where to start. Are the roles similar as in lol? When i go play with people is it as important to choose the right champion to a specific role such as in lol?

In lol i play mostly adc, and jungle and top occasionally, is there some good/easy to learn heros suited to those roles/type of play?

thanks in advance? :)

iambatman

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » September 7, 2014 10:13am | Report
From what I understand from Google, ADC is a Ranged "Champion" that focuses on Damage per hit?

If that's what you're looking for, then Weaver, Razor, Windranger and even Mirana can be built that way.

As for Junglers, the best Junglers are Heroes like Chen, Enigma and Enchantress, but those are fairly complicate, so I'd stay away from them. 8{(

By "top", I think you mean Solo Offlaners? In which Case, Tidehunter and Bristleback are amazingly fun to play in that position while being relatively simple to pick up.

However, I'd recommend starting with Lion and maybe Lich. They make good Hard Supports, and what you'll find when you start DOTA, is that there are very rarely any good Supports, everyone want sot be a Carry and AFK Farm for 20 minutes. -_-

Lion is a great 1st Hero, he doesn't need to much to be effective in Lane, and once you hit lvl6, the fun begins. You can pretty much guarantee to get a Kill with Finger of Death. Getting Kills with it isn't important, but it does feel pretty damn good! <}3

Start by buying the Animal Courier and Observer Wards for your Team, then spend the remaining 300 Gold on a Tango, Healing Salve and Clarity. If someone else buys the Animal Courier (rare at first sadly 8{( ), then buy 2 Iron Branches and save the rest of your Gold for now.

From there, you watn Tranquil Boots, Magic Wand, Blink Dagger/ Force Staff. Everything after that is Situational.

...and as always...Welcome to DOTA, you suck (a must read for new players, don't be put off by the title, it's there to help) 8{3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by mastadoom » September 7, 2014 10:20am | Report
well, about your roles, full time jungling is only posible with three heros, Enigma, Enchantress, and Chen. So jungling isn't a real roll in dota.

Also, top as a roll, don't mean anything in dota, because each side in dota has 1 lane that is called the "hard lane" or "offlane" and the "safelane" on opisite side of the map. The offlane for the radiant side, is the top lane, while the offlane for dire is the bot lane. this means that the safelane is top for dire and bot for radiant. This is a more complex concept for why they are called that and stuff, but Basically i can't help you with that role.

Now, adc, that is the hard carry right? Easy carries to start off on are Faceless Void, Gyrocopter, Juggernaut, Luna, Phantom Assassin, Razor, Sven, wrathking. (I linked the names so you can click on them and read a guide on them)

mastadoom

Notable (7)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » September 7, 2014 10:37am | Report
ADC means "attack damage carry", yeah. Apparently most carries in LoL are ranged? There are a ton of melee carries in Dota. Easy carries to play : Wraith King, Lifestealer, Dragon Knight, Drow Ranger, Faceless Void, Phantom Assassin, Sven, Troll Warlord...

Junglers? There are very few junglers in DotA actually. Yes you have Chen/Ench/Enigma, but they're not very new player friendly. You can try Nature's Prophet though.

Solo Top/offlane heroes : Bristleback, Lich, Timbersaw, Axe, Undying...

But you'll soon notice that we absolutely need good supports, game is almost unplayable without supports :)
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by iambatman » September 7, 2014 10:48am | Report
Thank you for all of your advice :)

So if i understand correctly in dota the heroes arent fixed into certain roles/lanes as much? For example i i pick this or this hero and my teammates have picked this and this there will not be yelling in chat like "OMG wtf nob kid why did u pick that hero omfg gg"?

iambatman

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by jamesShajam » September 7, 2014 11:06am | Report
No. The only hero who is like that is Techies who just got released a few days ago. Remember that in dota (at least at an early level) the only solo position is mid. If you want to play mid, try Viper or Drow Ranger
If you'd like to support the team, try Lion or Bane
If you want to Carry (not recommended) Go for Wraith King or if you want ranged there is Medusa
If you want to win at the start, play heroes that have an invis ability or those with high range.
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

jamesShajam

Notable (5)
Steam: ShaJam
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by BKvoiceover » September 7, 2014 11:14am | Report
iambatman wrote:

So if i understand correctly in dota the heroes arent fixed into certain roles/lanes as much? For example if i pick this or this hero and my teammates have picked this and this there will not be yelling in chat like "OMG wtf nob kid why did u pick that hero omfg gg"?

More or less. I'm sure in your earlier games you are going to come across players who pick Pudge and demand the mid-lane when you already picked another mid-laner like Tinker, as well as players who got into Dota during the international and will only play their favorite hero in a certain lane. But once you have been playing the game for a bit you will learn the best lanes for heroes in certain situations.

For example, one of my favorite dota 2 heroes (champions) is Sand King. He is usually played as a support in the safe lane (Bottom lane for Radiant, Top lane for Dire) in the early game because he has a nice stun and good harassment abilities, plus he has a really nice teamfight ultimate. However lets say the other team has a powerful mid-game carry such as Brewmaster who will come online way before our carry will and I need to get levels faster. Since experience is shared with your teammates in lane I might wish to solo a lane to get my ultimate faster and protect my carry while they farm. A lot of the time a support will stay a support until the end of the game, and a carry will stay a carry. However the lane and tactics you wish to use to complete this task can vary wildly.

BKvoiceover

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: BKvoiceoverGames
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » September 7, 2014 11:20am | Report
iambatman wrote:

Thank you for all of your advice :)

So if i understand correctly in dota the heroes arent fixed into certain roles/lanes as much? For example i i pick this or this hero and my teammates have picked this and this there will not be yelling in chat like "OMG wtf nob kid why did u pick that hero omfg gg"?

Technically yes. There are a couple of "champions" (we call them heroes over here, you might get flamed in game for calling them so, the hate is real) that can substitute more than one role - the prime example of this could possibly be Lich - and that thanks to sacrifice.

He can mid, because he denies experience to the enemy mid laner with sacrifice and good harass with Frost Blast.

He can offlane because he can deny a creep (minion) with sacrifice so the lane balance gets closer to his tower.

He can hard support because he can harass out the enemy solo laner (solo lane here is not just top, like in LoL, the TOP player or as we call it the OFFLANE player usually goes on the lane where the creeps meet furthest away from his tower - Top for Radiant, Bot for Dire) with Frost Blast.

Of course, that does not mean that his main attribution is not to play a hard support, but in case of need, he can play pretty much everything - except a jungle start. It also depends on the enemy picks :

For example :

If your enemies pick a Shadow Fiend mid, chances are Lich is able to win that lane.
If your enemies pick a Templar Assassin mid, chances are Lich should abort the idea of playing mid immediatly.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » September 7, 2014 11:21am | Report
iambatman wrote:

So if i understand correctly in dota the heroes arent fixed into certain roles/lanes as much?

It depends on the Hero, but between 3 Lanes, Roaming and Jungling, there is no one Hero that can do all of that ( Mirana comes close, she can take any Lane or Roam, but can't Jungle).

Some Heroes only really fit into one Lane, usually Safe Lane Farmers like Clinkz, Spectre, Anti-Mage, etc. (although you'll see these guys take the Offlane...simply because...?).

It's another good reason to start with Supports, you'll find you always need to go to one of the Side Lanes with a Core Hero (a Hero who is in that Lane to Farm), whether that's Top or Bot isn't important so much, as long as you don't try to steal Last Hits (take them if your Core couldn't Last Hit the broad side of a barn though). It depends more on the rest of your Team's Picks than yours and is the easiest type of Lane configuration to understand when you're starting out.

iambatman wrote:

For example i i pick this or this hero and my teammates have picked this and this there will not be yelling in chat like "OMG wtf nob kid why did u pick that hero omfg gg"?

No, you'll still get yelled at in Solo Queue...for just about anything. The only way to escape that is to find 4 people to play with, it's the best way to play this game, trust me.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » September 7, 2014 11:24am | Report
Quoted:
It depends on the Hero, but between 3 Lanes, Roaming and Jungling, there is no one Hero that can do all of that ( Mirana comes close, she can take any Lane or Roam, but can't Jungle).

Earth Spirit. And any hero can jungle with pulls.

Since I mentionned pulls, I should explain. Basically, you can pull in a neutral creep camp from the jungle(by attacking them, then they'll follow you for some time) that is close to the lane to intersect with the creeps (minions). The creeps (minions) will aggro the neutrals, and they will be dragged out from their usual pathing, fighting the neutral camp to death usually.

It is a most used strategy to deny experience and gold to the enemy Offlaner (top player).

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved