Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Hero for a noob

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Hero for a noob 40 posts - page 2 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by iambatman » September 7, 2014 11:42am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

No, you'll still get yelled at in Solo Queue...for just about anything. The only way to escape that is to find 4 people to play with, it's the best way to play this game, trust me.

Oh god. Is it worse than lol? because im not really interested to spend hours learning a game that is just as full of try-hard pro-wannabes who think they are the son of god sent to earth to dominate mobas? Because thats the sole reason im going into dota :D (also im a little interested to see how much different the game is)

iambatman

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » September 7, 2014 12:35pm | Report
iambatman wrote:

Oh god. Is it worse than lol? because im not really interested to spend hours learning a game that is just as full of try-hard pro-wannabes who think they are the son of god sent to earth to dominate mobas? Because thats the sole reason im going into dota :D (also im a little interested to see how much different the game is)

It's not that bad. It's more about the language barrier, since I know LoL has about 5 servers, but here, prepare for not understanding your teammates half of the matches you'll play (at least in the really low bracket - there are still servers, but anyone can play on any server).

And don't worry, every MOBA is the same regarding the pro - wannabes, dota is no different, but I've found that are a lot less butthurt people in DOTA than in LoL.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by iambatman » September 7, 2014 12:54pm | Report
Phew, just played my first game with actual people and i have say it was quite fun. I played dragonknight and he is a very fun champion (and easy), the game lasted over an hour, so at the end i was pretty bored and just recklessly pushed to end the game (we had a techie in our team who just stood in the mid lane and did literally nothing but run around for 30 minutes. We still managed to win though and i managed to keep my cool with that guy :D

iambatman

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by mastadoom » September 7, 2014 4:36pm | Report
iambatman wrote:

Phew, just played my first game with actual people and i have say it was quite fun. I played dragonknight and he is a very fun champion (and easy), the game lasted over an hour, so at the end i was pretty bored and just recklessly pushed to end the game (we had a techie in our team who just stood in the mid lane and did literally nothing but run around for 30 minutes. We still managed to win though and i managed to keep my cool with that guy :D

If you really want to get into dota, use dotabuff.com

Log in with steam, and it will track all of your dota stats, and if you ever want feedback on a game, you can like the dota buff game and we can reveiw it.

mastadoom

Notable (7)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fumbles16x » September 7, 2014 5:57pm | Report
Hey, protip. They're "heroes" not "champs" :p

But yeah, DK is a good hero to use. He's really simple, has a stun and nuke, and is hard to kill. Everyone says that supports are the way to go for new players, but I think survivability is a little better at first. It is good to fill the support role on your team because it seldom gets filled early on, but most of them are very squishy and easy to kill. Heroes like Dragon Knight or Wraith King add a lot more survivability and also pack a lot of killing power.

However, what these guys said is pretty true. Playing support never hurt anyone :) Just read guides and play some bot matches before you go into real games so you can figure heroes out.

Fumbles16x

Notable (4)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » September 7, 2014 7:17pm | Report
Spirit Breaker

so easy and so much fun at early levels.

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by iambatman » September 8, 2014 3:17am | Report
Smuggels wrote:

Spirit Breaker

so easy and so much fun at early levels.

Tried it. it was awesome thx

iambatman

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » September 8, 2014 4:16am | Report
Good advices here, but you need to stay away from some heroes.

Medusa and Faceless Void- very farm dependent and requires good positioning and awareness. If you are the type that doesnt want to wait 40 minutes to be effective, you may want to stay away from void and other ultra-hard carries. Even if you are patient, you should learn to last hit very well to play a hard carry.

Io- if you are not in a party, dont even consider this at low tier matches. This hero requires EXTREME communication and simply saying "guys lets gank i can tp u" would not work most times. Like Void, Io requires good positioning and awareness.

Meepo- you can make up to 4 clones of yourself that can use all your spells. Thing is, if one dies the rest died as well. Good micro-managing(the art of controlling a number of units), positioning, awareness, and your last hitting skillz are required to play this hero effectively.

Invoker- you can control up to a ***ping 10 spells with this hero. However, quick fingers, positioning, and awareness are the keys to master this hero. If you are the guy who prefer simple heroes, stay away from this smug.

There are many heroes you shouldnt try as a new player (some of them i dont even master yet) other than mentioned above, some quick list is Earth Spirit, Phoenix, and Morphling. I hope this helped you, as it is my pleasure to do kindness.
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerosaviour » September 8, 2014 4:27am | Report
iambatman wrote:

Lol. You'll be getting techies in every match for awhile. He just got released so everyone and their brother wants to play him.

Also most people don't even know how to play him properly.

I would say play captain's mode; but I doubt your that high enough level to play it yet. So just put up with the fact that techies will be there every game for the next couple of weeks.

DK is a pretty decent starting hero too. He is pretty tanky and also pretty noob friendly. I also recommend Viper as a good starting hero. Also never go Vanguard. Mek is a better choice.

Just stay away from Sniper and Riki. They may be noob friendly early on; but at higher levels you will be constantly punished for picking them.

Zerosaviour

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » September 8, 2014 4:51am | Report
Zerosaviour wrote:

Just stay away from Sniper and Riki. They may be noob friendly early on; but at higher levels you will be constantly punished for picking them.

Riki isn't that bad, it's just that most people don't know how to play him properly. He's a nice Pickup in some Situations once you've gotten used to balancing Ganking with Farming.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved