Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Fairly new player from LoL,need help deciding on heroes to start with

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » New Player Help » Fairly new player from LoL,need help deciding on heroes to start with 13 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sinister Strife » January 15, 2014 1:05pm | Report
So basically,I play Dota every now and then,but I'm still a new player in terms of experience,and I've never played a non-bot game so far,and I'm considering getting more into Dota. The only problem is finding heroes I actually enjoy playing. I've played League for a little over a year now,and I've found a good couple of champions that I love playing. I also main ADC(Which,on LoL for those of you that don't know, is basically the equivalent of Dota's "Hard carry" role,instead called an Attack Damage Carry,they basically need the most CS/Gold out of everybody on their team), so my CSing mechanics are fine,and I've played MOBAs in general long enough to have good map awareness,so that's not a problem. I just wanna have one or two heroes for each major role that I can use to learn the game.

What I want to find is a carry,preferably ranged, since I know Dota 2 has a good mix of both ranged and melee carries, that has good mobility or burst, while still remaining true to the high sustained damage nature of a carry. For those of you that are familiar with League Champions,think of someone like Varus,Lucian,or Ezreal.

As far as other roles go, I really like mages that have high teamfight capability, as in they have tons of AOE damage perfect for melting entire teams. On League,these would be champions such as Viktor or Vladimir. Now I know that mages and/or casters on Dota normally fill a more supportive role no matter how many good damage spells they have,and rarely amount to anything more than a semi-carry since abilities on Dota have no stat to scale with,unlike "Ability Power" on LoL, but if anyone has any ideas(Aside from Skywrath Mage,I already know his Q scales with INT,and I ****ing love him xD), I'd appreciate that.

I'm still comfortable with supporting though,but for now,I'd prefer the simpler,straightforward support heroes. The only roles I'd have trouble with are assassins/gankers and tanks that have to go balls deep.

Any suggestions are well appreciated.

Sinister Strife

Steam: Sinister Strife
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » January 15, 2014 2:46pm | Report
i will give it a try then

as for the adc: you seem to like playing those high mobility carries ...so lets see:

Clinkz - very mobile and good at ganking. Once you have your Orchid's Malevolance you can pick off one kill after another and totally snowball out of control.

Weaver - his "w" doesnt only give him a short invis but also max movement speeds for a few seconds. His Autoattacks really hurt if farmed up and thanks to his Time Lapse he basically can survive most burst-damage thrown at him.

Slark - he might not be ranged, but i think that he fits the profile quite good. Pounce beeing a utility-leap, which also can hold an enemy in place if you land directly on them. Dark Pact just makes him a nuisance to play against if you rely on Debuffs / Dot-dmg. His ulti is a NON-BREAKABLE invis, meaning, that you can even attack without revealing yourself. If you try to build him somewhat tanky, either with Eye of Skadi or Black King Bar you can prolong a fight for quite some time making your passive Essence Shift really kick in.

Late-game scaling casters is a completely other story in dota however, as there is no concept of Ability Power.... None the less i will try make suggestions:

- Death Prophet: Very easy to play; tanky; and has very good lategame scaling....as all you need to do is building tanky and getting levels. Her ultimate Exorcism does physical damage and is insanely good for tower pushing....also its the only spell that comes to mind, that has somewhat of a "Spell Steal" (i think thats the correct term, for magic-damage-lifesteal in lol) component.

- Outworld Devourer: THE int lategame-carry. His Arcane Orb is actually a better version of Ryzes Q, since it does true damage! He has a long-duration solo target CC; his Ultimate Sanity's Eclipse can deal TONS of damage and his passive gives him (and his team) a chance to replenish a fixed percentage of their maximum mana pool on spellcast (including the Arcane Orb).

- Pugna: this is as close as you might get to vladimir in dota2. He can amplify his magic damage with Decrepify; provide great teamfight with Nether Ward and has good Burst with Nehter Blast. His Ultimate Life Drain should be pretty self explanatory.

- Puck / Disruptor : i simply added those 2 because you mentioned Viktor and they kinda remind me of him. Both have nice AOE-CCs, aoe-silences and nukes. I think Disruptor comes closer to Viktor, but Puck has definitely the better lategame scaling.

Hope i could help and if you are looking into those heroes, i would like to hear if i met your expectations ...if not we can surely try to give some more suggestions :3

EDIT: How could i forget one of my favorite heroes :OOOO ?!

- Morphling: very, very mobile with is Wave Form and Replica. Insane burst damage if you go for a "shotgun" build (meaning building Ethereal Blade and stacking Agility). Can morph strength into agility and and vice versa - which can make him extremely hard to bring down.
The hero mechanics however, are something that might take time to get used. Also he is very farm dependent.

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » January 15, 2014 3:54pm | Report
A few good ranged carries are gyrocopter, luna, clinkz, weaver, viper , razor, outwold devourer and shadow fiend.

Gyrocoper are based based on area of effect damge, especially gyrocopter since he builds in raw damage instead of luna who builds into agility which give some damage and attack speed.
Weaver and clinkz are squishy but have the ability to do insane single target damage. Weaver has a spammable short invis and clikz's has a longer cooldown but lasts longer. Weaver is also more reliant on getting his 2 big items linkens/BKB followed by a damage item.
Viper and razor are used to counter or dominate certain mids.
Shadow fiend and outwould devourer are also dominatant lante game carries. OD is especially picked against intelligence mids since he will steal damage and leave them without mana to cast spells.

Also spells dont really need to be like skywrath to keep being relevant. Some other supports scale really well becouse of percentage based spells like shadow demon. Heroes with long stuns or high utility still stay relevant. Windrunner for example. But there are many heroes who stat really relevant late game.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sinister Strife » January 15, 2014 8:57pm | Report
Weaver and Outworld Devourer sound like my kind of carries. Also,I think I've played Disruptor before, was really fun. I'll also give Pugna a shot, sounds like he's a pest xD.

Also,before I start trying any of these,I wanna know a bit more about the common lane setups,since I'll be trying to learn most of the roles. I've heard of trilanes(Basically where you go 3-1-1,or 1-1-3 depending on which side you're on) which is where you have two people in the same lane as the hard carry. But for standard 2-1-2 setups, the only places that really seem to have a set duo is the carry+support lane,which is normally either bot or top. How do you decide who takes mid and what two heroes take the other sidelane? I've heard that mid can pretty much be for any hero that's good at soloing,but that makes it seem very broad,since that's not really dependent on the hero's role(Like how some carries are guaranteed to be shut down if you leave them support-less,where as carries like Viper/Razor are sent mid to DO the shutting down).

Also,if the team's hard carry,which needs ALL the gold, is laning with the main support,who needs no gold, that means that two heroes that are most likely in-between in terms of gold priority would take the other side lane,so how would you decide how they share the gold?

Sinister Strife

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » January 15, 2014 9:18pm | Report
play weaver after you get about a 100 games under your belt since he is pretty hard to play.

source:experience

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » January 15, 2014 9:44pm | Report

which is where you have two people in the same lane as the hard carry.

One team only needs one hard carry in pretty much 99% of cases. Tri lanes are 2 supports and 1 hard carry (or semi carry if you have 2 more semi carries on the other two lanes)

If you were to run a 2-1-2 setup, you usually should have 1 mid, 2 supports and 2 carries. When running 2-1-2, the support+Carry lane is done on both top and bottom.

There are of course exceptions to this. A jungler could change the laning from a 1-1-3 to a 2-1-1 with jungle, and if you were to let the 2 supports in a team roam you would have a 1-1-1-2 roam setup.
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » January 16, 2014 3:34am | Report
it all really depends on your setup.

2-1-2:
If you decide to go for 2-1-2 you can have 1 hero in every lane who takes the farm...although its not adviceable to run 2 (or in most pubs even more) hard carries, as this severely cripple your early and midgame (basically your team would have to play 3v5 for like 30-40 minutes). Therefor you usually put your hard-carry + hard support in your safelane (which is bot for radiant / top for dire) and the other 2 (if going with a 2-1-2 setup) in the offlane (top for radiant / bot for dire). The one hero that takes the farm in the offlane is usually a (semi)carry with spells that make him also viable in early- to midgame. Ofc those heroes arent as good as hardcarries in the lategame, but if the enemy team looses all their towers and 1 set of rax before the 40 minute mark, thanks to the semicarry: who cares, right?

Some examples for carries who are good in the midgame: Sniper, Drow Ranger, Juggernaut, Dragon Knight, Kunkka, Luna, just to mention a few. Basically all those heroes have good pushing power or very good burst damage / teamfight spells, so you there is there is quite a big pool to choose from.
THe reason you send this kind of heroes into the offlane, is to (because they are viable also in the early game) annoy the enemy hardcarry while also being able to farm up for mid-late game.

...im quite in a hurry atm, so i will give you more insight on the other lane-setups (3-1-1 and 2-1-1- + jungle) when i get back home ^.^

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » January 16, 2014 3:47am | Report
L0bstz0r wrote:

it all really depends on your setup.

2-1-2:
If you decide to go for 2-1-2 you can have 1 hero in every lane who takes the farm...although its not adviceable to run 2 (or in most pubs even more) hard carries, as this severely cripple your early and midgame (basically your team would have to play 3v5 for like 30-40 minutes). Therefor you usually put your hard-carry + hard support in your safelane (which is bot for radiant / top for dire) and the other 2 (if going with a 2-1-2 setup) in the offlane (top for radiant / bot for dire). The one hero that takes the farm in the offlane is usually a (semi)carry with spells that make him also viable in early- to midgame. Ofc those heroes arent as good as hardcarries in the lategame, but if the enemy team looses all their towers and 1 set of rax before the 40 minute mark, thanks to the semicarry: who cares, right?

Some examples for carries who are good in the midgame: Sniper, Drow Ranger, Juggernaut, Dragon Knight, Kunkka, Luna, just to mention a few. Basically all those heroes have good pushing power or very good burst damage / teamfight spells, so you there is there is quite a big pool to choose from.
THe reason you send this kind of heroes into the offlane, is to (because they are viable also in the early game) annoy the enemy hardcarry while also being able to farm up for mid-late game.

...im quite in a hurry atm, so i will give you more insight on the other lane-setups (3-1-1 and 2-1-1- + jungle) when i get back home ^.^

Dont reccomend sniper and drow D=

When you start playing you will pretty much only see 2-1-2 setups. Occasionally there will be a natures prophet who starts jungling, not even stopping to consider if your team has a hero who can solo. Or a lifestealer who is too bad and lazy to get any farm out of the lane, and who will just start jungling even though laning would be much better.
I reccomend you to try out some good offlaners like timbersaw, clockwerk or dark seer, just so you can deal with those situations.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sinister Strife » January 16, 2014 10:51am | Report
Thanks for the advice guys. I didn't necessarily have trouble understanding the trilane,since I just assumed it would be 2 supports and 1 carry,I brought it up just in case,since it seems like the kind of thing you'd see more in high level play(Like how in League,almost nobody ever does a lane swap for top and bot,but if you watch LCS,the pros do it all the time). What I was really wondering is....if you already have your main carry and main support set in one sidelane, who would take the other sidelane? Of course,it makes sense just to have another carry and support,and I would assume that if the main support is more of a utility/lane support, then the so-called "semi-support" in the other lane would be more of a initiator/tanky with CC sort of support,right?

And one other I don't really get is who goes mid if you already have a carry and semi-carry,and two supports. Like people have already said here,mages and casters don't scale well since there's no such thing as Ability Power. So in League, we normally send the "AP Carry"(Ability Power Carry) mid since they're bursty and scale more with levels than gold,so they don't need a support unlike the Attack Damage Carry. However, since the Dota equivalent of an AP Carry(The Semi-Carry) is also sent to a sidelane with a support, that leaves me wondering what type of hero is sent mid? I said in my last post that most people so far have just told me that any hero that soloes well goes mid,but since many heroes of different roles make good solo mids(In some videos,or while reading some guides,I've seen some casters/mages mid,while I've also seen tanks/initiators mid), that makes it sound like it's hard to really decide what kind of hero you want to pick if you plan on going mid unless your team has already picked all of their heroes and you know exactly what you need. Basically it just sounds to me that the pool of viable mids covers too many heroes of varying roles for it to be set in stone

EDIT : One more thing I forgot to mention. Since I main ADC on LoL,I'm really OCD about kiting/stutter stepping/orbwalking. But I've noticed that this alot harder to do on Dota 2 since every hero has a turn speed/animation, and movement in general feels slower and less responsive,so I miss alot of last hits and get caught out a bit more easily. Any advice for getting used to the delay,or do I just practice?

Sinister Strife

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » January 16, 2014 12:23pm | Report

Thanks for the advice guys. I didn't necessarily have trouble understanding the trilane,since I just assumed it would be 2 supports and 1 carry,I brought it up just in case,since it seems like the kind of thing you'd see more in high level play(Like how in League,almost nobody ever does a lane swap for top and bot,but if you watch LCS,the pros do it all the time). What I was really wondering is....if you already have your main carry and main support set in one sidelane, who would take the other sidelane? Of course,it makes sense just to have another carry and support,and I would assume that if the main support is more of a utility/lane support, then the so-called "semi-support" in the other lane would be more of a initiator/tanky with CC sort of support,right?

And one other I don't really get is who goes mid if you already have a carry and semi-carry,and two supports. Like people have already said here,mages and casters don't scale well since there's no such thing as Ability Power. So in League, we normally send the "AP Carry"(Ability Power Carry) mid since they're bursty and scale more with levels than gold,so they don't need a support unlike the Attack Damage Carry. However, since the Dota equivalent of an AP Carry(The Semi-Carry) is also sent to a sidelane with a support, that leaves me wondering what type of hero is sent mid? I said in my last post that most people so far have just told me that any hero that soloes well goes mid,but since many heroes of different roles make good solo mids(In some videos,or while reading some guides,I've seen some casters/mages mid,while I've also seen tanks/initiators mid), that makes it sound like it's hard to really decide what kind of hero you want to pick if you plan on going mid unless your team has already picked all of their heroes and you know exactly what you need. Basically it just sounds to me that the pool of viable mids covers too many heroes of varying roles for it to be set in stone

EDIT : One more thing I forgot to mention. Since I main ADC on LoL,I'm really OCD about kiting/stutter stepping/orbwalking. But I've noticed that this alot harder to do on Dota 2 since every hero has a turn speed/animation, and movement in general feels slower and less responsive,so I miss alot of last hits and get caught out a bit more easily. Any advice for getting used to the delay,or do I just practice?

We don't really have AP casters over here, the idea is that the mid hero is the one that needs most levels and needs them the fastest to unlock potential.

Invoker - 14 skills(counting the elements and ultimate), he needs every bit of XP to max out his elements to augment the spells he invokes using his ultimate.

Death Prophet - She needs that silence ASAP(however the rest of the skills are better), also, the faster she gets level 6, the faster she can gank around and push down towers with Exorcism

Pudge - Dota's Blitzcrank that pumps out a lot more damage, he needs that level 6 faster to max out his Meat Hook so he can gank and become a nuisance everywhere.

Shadow Fiend - He is one of the few carries that actually has potential mid.He needs the levels and the farm to get his souls for Necromastery and Requiem of Souls, also to level up Shadowraze.

Puck - The faster he gets his/her/its Blink Dagger, the more mobility it has, and can gank easier.

Templar Assassin - Almost the same story as Puck, but her ultimate works quite like Teemo's mushrooms except the damaging part and the fact that you have to activate them yourself.

outworld devourer - A pest in general, denies mid to the enemy by draining their intelligence, he needs quick farm and levels to get rolling later.
There are a lot more mids, but the idea is :

The hero you want to have mid is a hero who needs lots of levels fast, decent farm, and can gank / assist the team somehow ( for example, Invoker doesn't gank that well, but has Sun Strike, which is global )

About "orbwalking" (the thing that you mention is not orbwalking, is just canceling your animation faster so you gain some terrain to catch up to your enemy, orbwalking refers to attacking the enemy hero with a specific orb effect that does not aggro the creeps in lane: Poison Attack, Searing Arrows etc), yes you have to practice a lot.

A small tip though : With no enemies around, you can actually A + click the ground after you performed an attack so you can cancel the hero backswing animation faster, instead of doing the usual click somewhere else click on the hero again.Might save you a couple of seconds.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved