Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Bottle to Scepter Rush on Ogre Magi

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Build & Guide Discussion » Bottle to Scepter Rush on Ogre Magi 7 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Tyerker » September 19, 2013 6:52am | Report
So I played my first few games as Ogre Magi last night, and was curious as to your thoughts on this build for him:

Starting Item: Bottle
Early Buy: Boots of Speed
Then you rush Aghanim's Scepter
Then Arcane Boots.

This way you get good regen from the beginning, and a better ability to spam your spells. OM isn't particularly squishy, and if you go hard lane you have easy access to the Secret Shop for Point Booster and Energy Booster, plus decent access to the river for runes to replenish your Bottle. Then the Scepter gives you his additional spell Unrefined Fireblast, and Arcane Boots for additional Mana Regen necessary with a 400 mana spell.

This is assuming you have someone else to support so you don't get landed buying Animal Courier and Observer Ward at the beginning.

All of this is theoretical and just something I had stuck on my mind last night after I stopped playing and headed to bed.

Tyerker

Notable (2)
Steam: Tyerker
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Destiny Shiraishi » September 19, 2013 7:21am | Report
OM does rely on his spells to harass people and getting a Bottle if you're taking side lane isn't all that good since you can't rune *****, which means less mana since you have control over one rune only. OM have relatively low mana regen early on, not enough to support his spells which requires relatively high mana cost, mainly Fireblast, unless you have Arcane Boots.

Maybe you should get Arcane Boots first and possibly Soul Ring? Bottle is better left for those who are taking the solo mid.

Destiny Shiraishi

Notable (6)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » September 19, 2013 8:34am | Report
I ended up playing solo mid with Ogre Magi last week (weird situation, randomed him and nobody else picked a mid!), and ended up running a Bottle, into Orb of Venom, Arcane Boots and Drum of Endurance and eventually Scythe of Vyse and Blade Mail. Pretty unusual to have that much farm on him!

His overall stat gain is very good, but he's still not really a proper carry. Really his place is a support in a kill lane - at level 2 you have both a great slow and a great stun, both with damage added on. Only Crystal Maiden has that kind of early power.

Not a big fan of Aghanim's Scepter on him, Unrefined Fireblast is hella expensive and no better than your standard one. Orchid Malevolence, Scythe of Vyse, Shiva's Guard and Veil of Discord are probably all better items on him.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Tyerker » September 19, 2013 8:55am | Report
I was wondering if his Scepter spell was really worth it. I just heard from someone in a match last night that Scepter gives him a new spell, so I was instantly curious.

I ended up just going Mekansm, Arcane Boots, Drum of Endurance, Veil of Discord in that match.

I don't end up using the active on Veil often enough, so I don't know if I'll use that in future. I really like the idea of Orchid Malevolence on any INT hero with a decent right click, though.

Tyerker

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » September 20, 2013 4:48am | Report
Well, as Visage players usually go plain Boots into Medallion into Agh's I don't see why you couldn't do that on Ogre Magi if someone else gets Mekansm and Urn of Shadows. You might have some troubles farming in your spare time, but being able to spam your spells is usually enough for such a support (meaning you don't need Force Staff, Ghost Scepter or other mid-game items as much as, let's say, Rubick and Crystal Maiden do) and the ultimate upgrade is pretty good.

I still prefer getting those small items since Unrefined Fireblast makes you use too much mana and you don't get any sort of mana regen before Agh's, but I think it is a viable choice (especially if you get many points on Ignite so that you can farm in the jungle and get some more gold).

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by samukobo » September 20, 2013 7:57am | Report
Aghs on ogre is basically a refresher for only his first skill.

It's great, of course, because it adds more power to his spells, but if you get only boots and bottle before it then you can't handle it.

Also, I don't really think Visage is a good example for this as his upgrade is radically different.
Quoted:

ヽ༼ຈلຈ༽ノ

samukobo
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Tyerker » September 20, 2013 8:47am | Report
I guess 400 mana is a bigger chunk than I was originally thinking, particularly early-game.

I am really enjoying how Ogre Magi plays, though. Maybe I'll just go Hard Support
Drum of Endurance
Urn of Shadows
Mekansm
Arcane Boots
and then save up for some killer end-game item like Assault Cuirass or Daedalus.

Tyerker

Notable (2)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved