Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Has this Blink Dagger thing gone too far?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Has this Blink Dagger thing gone too far? 79 posts - page 6 of 8

Poll Question:

Blink Dagger on everyone?
Hell Yes
No - positional heroes only
No - positional and stunners only
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » January 24, 2015 3:36am | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

Any hero who has skills with less than 600 cast range is a situational blink holder. Otherwise he just can't cast them.

On Omniknight, ALL his skills are short range without exception. Pretty much anything you can do with a blink is good.

* Blink - Repel is the most obvious. Normally you're supposed to cast it before your carries jump in, but sometimes your carries are stupid and YOLO too much. Remove the 'sometimes'.
* Blink - Guardian Angel. If you don't have Aghs, GA has a pathetic 600 AOE so it's useless unless you have proper positioning
* Blink - Degen Aura. What's the point of a 200-something range slow if you can't apply it?

* Repel yourself, and blink out. With repel on he essentially takes no damage because he can't get stunned and melee heroes can't catch up to him, so guaranteed escape FTW.

Omni is actually a really good blink holder.

Y'see, for a player who's opinions I generally respect...this is trash man!

- Blink Repel really? Team mates that stupid deserve to die, either that, or make sure your positioning is further forward to support them. A Blink Dagger costs more than 1/2 a BKB... is a must buy because they *might* be stupid?

- Buying Blink slows down your Aghs substantially, which offers much better stats, global range, and an extra 2 seconds of ult time.

- Blink Purification...ok it's not that easy to land aggressively...but what's the point blinking in with a 360 damage nuke and nothing to follow it up with? With no other equipment you have no real damage or follow up...even if you did, they can TP away. Omni needs to gank with other heroes...why not let them get a Blink instead?

- Blink Degen Aura...wut? With no stats you're either repeling yourself to stay alive (depriving someone else of it) and hoping them have no physical damage...wasting Guardian Angel...what's the point of this? You need survivability to use this...not mobility.

This is a lot of what I'm reading on this thread guys "it makes you more elusive", "it means you can hide in trees". Especially on support heroes...your job sometimes is to be a sacrifice. Sometimes you have to take one for the team. Other items can help your team mates...sometimes it's more important for them to be alive than you...

Since when is Blink Dagger a core part of Rubick's playstyle? He has a long range stun, nuke, and Spell Steal has a long range. To do his job DOESN'T *REQUIRE* a blink. Yes, it helps, and yes, I've seen Kuroky on him too - it's very impressive...but with the best will in the world, I'm not Kuroky...and neither are you. And the rest of our team certainly isn't Na'vi or whoever he plays with now. Blink is only core on him when the spells you can potentially steal require one to work properly.

Apologies for the mini-rant...but I think there's waaay too many players who are becoming reliant on this item and not learning the core positional skills required to get better. Plus waaay too many allies who buy them in the wrong circumstances, don't help the team out, etc. If your team already has really good initiation...do they really need you to be able to Blink stun?
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by oldKainen » January 24, 2015 4:33am | Report
Well, I believe Blink Dagger is useful only for positional heroes and instant stunners (stunners that are playing as initiators, of course). It can help heroes that don't have mobility, like Sniper, but I prefer to build movement speed on this kind of heroes, especially because getting extra MS provides extra stats too (Drums, Eul's, Yasha), something Blink Dagger lacks.

I partially discord too with Omniknight's Blink. It has some use on him, true, but if you got 2250 gold, why not buy something like Eul's or save it for Aghanim's, that are a lot of times better than Blink for him?

oldKainen

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (14)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » January 24, 2015 4:35am | Report
Sando wrote:

Spoiler: Click to view

i think he forgot an important part of his argument, Sando: Kappa

I also think that euls most of the time is better
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » January 24, 2015 4:38am | Report
Sando wrote:

Y'see, for a player who's opinions I generally respect...this is trash man!

- Blink Repel really? Team mates that stupid deserve to die, either that, or make sure your positioning is further forward to support them. A Blink Dagger costs more than 1/2 a BKB... is a must buy because they *might* be stupid?

- Buying Blink slows down your Aghs substantially, which offers much better stats, global range, and an extra 2 seconds of ult time.

- Blink Purification...ok it's not that easy to land aggressively...but what's the point blinking in with a 360 damage nuke and nothing to follow it up with? With no other equipment you have no real damage or follow up...even if you did, they can TP away. Omni needs to gank with other heroes...why not let them get a Blink instead?

- Blink Degen Aura...wut? With no stats you're either repeling yourself to stay alive (depriving someone else of it) and hoping them have no physical damage...wasting Guardian Angel...what's the point of this? You need survivability to use this...not mobility.

This is a lot of what I'm reading on this thread guys "it makes you more elusive", "it means you can hide in trees". Especially on support heroes...your job sometimes is to be a sacrifice. Sometimes you have to take one for the team. Other items can help your team mates...sometimes it's more important for them to be alive than you...

Since when is Blink Dagger a core part of Rubick's playstyle? He has a long range stun, nuke, and Spell Steal has a long range. To do his job DOESN'T *REQUIRE* a blink. Yes, it helps, and yes, I've seen Kuroky on him too - it's very impressive...but with the best will in the world, I'm not Kuroky...and neither are you. And the rest of our team certainly isn't Na'vi or whoever he plays with now. Blink is only core on him when the spells you can potentially steal require one to work properly.

Apologies for the mini-rant...but I think there's waaay too many players who are becoming reliant on this item and not learning the core positional skills required to get better. Plus waaay too many allies who buy them in the wrong circumstances, don't help the team out, etc. If your team already has really good initiation...do they really need you to be able to Blink stun?

But it's still true; Blink Dagger is a good item on Omniknight, because his cast ranges leave something lacking. Yes, in theory, perfect positioning would make up for a Blink Dagger on him. But perfect positioning is not something that you can always do, even if you are the best player in the world. It allows you to jump into to save a hero that's been jumped on with Heal Bomb, and Repel, without you getting stunned out and focused in the original rotation. Because Omniknight is a bit like an Io - He's gonna get focused early in fights so he can't have the impact he wants to have. It might delay his Ag's, but the trade off is that you do more early-mid game, which can be a great trade-off.

Blink Dagger gives you mobility which allows you to react to the opponents moves more quickly, make your own rotations faster, and it does decrease the likelyhood of you getting caught out by enemy rotations, which support or no is a good thing. Neither does it detract from good positioning, it simply enchances your ability to position properly.

I will agree, Blink Dagger probably gets over built on supports compared to Force Staff, which is the more supportive choice. But I don't think building mobility is ever a bad choice - Being more mobile than the opposing team is a big advantage afterall.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » January 24, 2015 4:40am | Report
Sando wrote:

Team mates that stupid deserve to die

Really Sando? When you play in pubs, there are ******s everywhere, so you say one should lose a game because your team contains more ******s than enemy team? Besides everyone makes mistakes in positioning time to time. You are here to save their ***, that's what you meant to do. Only the strongest survive? That's not the attitude a defensive support player should have.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » January 24, 2015 4:53am | Report
Dimonychan wrote:

Really Sando? When you play in pubs, there are ******s everywhere, so you say one should lose a game because your team contains more ******s than enemy team? Besides everyone makes mistakes in positioning time to time. You are here to save their ***, that's what you meant to do. Only the strongest survive? That's not the attitude a defensive support player should have.

Yes. If you do stupid things, you might as well die. Because in 90% of the cases, if you jump in and try to save him, they'll get a 2-0.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » January 24, 2015 5:08am | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

Yes. If you do stupid things, you might as well die. Because in 90% of the cases, if you jump in and try to save him, they'll get a 2-0.

If you are fighting 2 vs 5, yes. In other situations it really depends and Repel on manfighting carries can not only save them but allow them to get some kills. He can really save even ******ed players, that's why he has almost 60% winrate.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » January 24, 2015 5:24am | Report
ok lets go boys.

core>almost core>very common

abbadon: situational. mostly force.
alc: almost core. depends on role.
AA: no.
AM: no.
axe: 100% core.
bane: force/blink depends.
batrider: 100% core.
beastmaster: almost core.
bloodseeker: not really.
bounty: yes on support.
brewmaster: 100% core.
bristle: no.
brood: no.
centaur: 100% core.
chaos knight: not as carry.
chen: blink centaur huehehehe.
clinkz: almost core.
clockwerk: situational.
CM: blink/force depends.
dark seer: almost core, sometimes force.
dazzle: blink/force depends.
DP: no.
disruptor: situational, when agressive and ahead.
doom: core.
DK: situational.
drow: almost core.
earth spririt: situational, usually force.
ES: 100% core.
ET: no.
ember: situational.
enchant: no.
enigma: core but doesnt rush always.
void: highly situational.
gyro: nah.
huskar: situational.
invoker: situational.
io: situational.
jakiro: almost core. mostly on farming jakiro.
juggernaut: situational.
KOTL: nah.
kunkka: very common.
legion: 100% core.
lesh: situational.
lich: nah, force.
lifestealer: highly situational.
lina: blink/force depends.
lion: core.
lone druid: no.
luna: no.
lycan: no.
magnus: 100% core.
medusa: no.
meepo: 100% core.
mirana: nah.
morphling: higly situational.
naga sire: blink/force depends.
NP: common.
necro: very common.
NS: nah.
Nyx: core.
ogre: situational blink/force.
ommni: common.
oracle: situational.
OD: nah. (have seen it work once though.)
PA: no.
PL: no.
phoenix: nah i think.
puck: 100% core.
pudge: almost core blink/force, often both.
pugna: very common.
QoP: NEW META.
razor: no.
riki: no.
rubick. almost core, sometimes force over blink.
SK: 100% core.
SD: force/blink situational, mostly force.
SF: situational.
SS: almost core. sometimes force over blink.
silencer: nah.
skywrath: nah, outclassed by force.
slardar: 100% core.
slark: almsot core.
sniper: almost core.
spectre: no.
spirit breaker: no.
storm: no.
svenL almost core.
techies: situational.
templar: almost core.
terroblade: no.
tide: 100% core.
timbersaw: almost core.
tinker: 100% core.
tiny: situational.
tree: almost core.
troll: situational.
tusk: almost core.
undying: no.
ursa: almost core.
venge: situational, mostly force.
venomancer: core.
viper: highly situational.
visage; no.
warlock: situational, usually late.
weaver: no.
windranger: almost core usually force if not mid.
WD: very common: wants aghs first.
WK: almost core.
zeus: almost core.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » January 24, 2015 5:27am | Report
Timminatorr wrote:

ok lets go boys.

core>almost core>very common

Spoiler: Click to view

Said the man who never updates his Blink guide -_-^
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » January 24, 2015 5:31am | Report
Unscathed wrote:

Said the man who never updates his Blink guide -_-^

i know ;_;, never finushed it. the comments saying blink isnt core on centaur made me cry. ;_;

or it was lack of time at the time, and losing interest after. :P
i may finish it but i have a lifestealer guide to make first.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved