Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Has this Blink Dagger thing gone too far?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Has this Blink Dagger thing gone too far? 79 posts - page 2 of 8

Poll Question:

Blink Dagger on everyone?
Hell Yes
No - positional heroes only
No - positional and stunners only
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by I Have Layers » January 22, 2015 6:58pm | Report
Prefer Force Staff, if I am getting some sort of a mobility item on illusion/micro heroes, unless it's Lancer :P.

Easier to micro I guess, I can cast while moving, the bonus is really nice. I'm also able to escape while being attacked, so I prefer it on most squishy heroes.

I Have Layers

Notable (4)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » January 22, 2015 7:08pm | Report
I think Blink Dagger is probably the item which has the least heroes where it's awful on.

Any hero with a reliable stun (Or decent semi-reliable like Hoof Stomp) can build it to act as an initiator.

Any Meele right-clicker can buy it to minimize kiting (If they don't already lack one).

Any Squishy hero can get it, because it helps you get better position and be more slippery.

Any hero that needs proper positioning (Not just to right-click, but due to cast ranges and the like on important spells) can also get it for similar reasons as above.

And against AOE disables with cast times it's fantastic, because you can dodge the disable, and make them feel sheepish. (Like Blinking out of Chrono's)

Hell, even heroes with there own initiation abilites can buy it situationally (Like Faceless Void against instant stuns and silences. Since Time Walk into Chronosphere is much easier to stop than Blink Chrono.

I'd argue it's definately a good item pick-up more often than it's bad. Though for supports you do seriously have to consider between it and Force Staff instead. But I think the number of heroes where it's a definite as things go first item is much lower. And that's definately for Heroes where the Blink just changes how the hero functions (Like Batrider, Rubick, Earthshaker)

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KEEP CALM AND FEED » January 22, 2015 7:11pm | Report
Who said no blink on terrorblade?
It is situationally viable particularly if you anticipta thise black holes and rp.
Whatever, i have tried trolling with blink on tb, shadow blade is better for that. Blink is a serious item.

The only hero not blink worthy is Broodmother. Who am i to say? Perhaps someone will prove me wrong.
Take it on anti mage and you get flimsii, it is still joyful.

KEEP CALM AND FEED

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (15)
Steam: KEEP CALM AND FEED
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » January 22, 2015 7:17pm | Report
when i play initiators

Tide cent enigma magnus

i always get two positioning items.

usually force and blink.

they are core on tide and mag and cent for me.

people are like "wtf" and then you initiate from 2000 units away and they go ...

"OHHHHHHH thats why"

force staff blink on tide and cent and mag are so good because the amount of times they are like his blink is on cd then boom force staff in and ravage/hoofstop/reverse pol and u win the fight.

especially crucial for playing against heroes like spectre or zues.

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by gingerino » January 22, 2015 8:13pm | Report
While Blink Dagger isn't the optimal item to purchase on every hero, it works out quite well on most. Even potm of the moon can benefit from the item, as it adds potential to her Sacred Arrow secret attack.

Even though it is a decent item, what truly is it about Blink Dagger that draws so many players in? Pubs and pros alike are attracted to the strange item, almost as if the allure of fast paced high mobility gameplay has enchanted them.

That's it. Players that purchase blink on heroes that don't require it as core do so because it gives them a sense of power. They're playing a video game after all, and the actions that they take online have no real repercussions in the real world. So why not buy a Blink Dagger and go crazy? The ability to jump around the map at the click of a button gives players a sense of empowerment, and blink adds a new element to gameplay that allows for people to pull off riskier plays that they normally wouldn't be able to.

I might just be rambling or completely wrong by now, but I feel that Blink Dagger is an item that twists and warps the minds of players by filling their heads with dreams of grandeur. Once players start blinking, they just can't stop. They feel like they're in control of the situation if they are able to blink in and out of combat on a mere whim, which in turn helps to relieve the horrible stress and depression that they encounter in every day life.

Sure, you can just play heroes equipped with blink abilities, but QoP honestly blows and Antimage really isn't all that fun.

So screw it, let's all buy blinks and have a jolly good time.

gingerino

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by wangyuphing » January 22, 2015 8:37pm | Report
Sando wrote:

I think I've seen it all now - Blink Dagger Omniknight! But seriously, I think since they took the mana cost away, people have just gone Blink crazy.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great item, and an important pickup on a number of heroes, especially heroes with heavy positonal requirements ( Magnus, Earthshaker, etc), and it can be pretty useful on heroes with instant stuns like Lion, Bane et al. It's great for anti-kiting or burst like Ursa too.

BUT. I think there are heroes you shouldn't get it on. There are situations where it's not the best choice even on heroes it can work for:

1) A Mekansm - about the same price, easier to build up to +1250 heal and armour for your team in a clutch situation. What's your blink going to achieve in a team fight?

2) A Point Booster and an Urn of Shadows or Medallion of Courage when you're up against burst/invisible heroes.

3) Ghost Scepter - waaay more likely to keep you alive against strong enemy carries with space closers.

4) Eul's Scepter of Divinity - hella load of mana, and a reliable disable/purge.

The list goes on.

So, over to you...to Blink or not to Blink?

IMO Sando, Blink Dagger is an utility item, nothing more. The only reason people pick this item is because of that. Items like Mekansm, Point Booster, or Ghost Scepter belongs to other category, so it can't be compared with Blink Dagger. It all depends on your needs and positions! If you are a support and your team has no Mekansm they buy it before Blink Dagger! IMO......

wangyuphing

Notable (9)
Steam: Pandora
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » January 22, 2015 9:04pm | Report
Zerosaviour wrote:

Actually I like the Blink QoP. Use Blink Dagger to blink in and blow your load, then use her blink to escape anyone left alive.

That sounds so wrong in my head.

I agree with Sando on this one - while blink is good, neglecting the other items might be bad.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » January 22, 2015 9:13pm | Report
Zerosaviour wrote:

Actually I like the Blink QoP. Use Blink Dagger to blink in and blow your load, then use her blink to escape anyone left alive.

I am... strangely excited now. Guessing the inuendo was intentional given who you were referring to?

But since Queen of QoP of Pain's blink is on such a short cooldown anyway, a Euls would accomplish the same thing, pretty much. Blink, cast spells, Euls, come down, Shadow Strike again, and leave.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by wangyuphing » January 22, 2015 9:47pm | Report
Zerosaviour wrote:

Wait.. it hasn't sinked into my mind

You are an exceptionally strange player

lol kappa.

wangyuphing

Notable (9)
Steam: Pandora
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » January 22, 2015 11:02pm | Report
Broken item is broken, what do you want? xD

Doto is turning into Dragon Ball Z right now.

Any hero who has skills with less than 600 cast range is a situational blink holder. Otherwise he just can't cast them.

On Omniknight, ALL his skills are short range without exception. Pretty much anything you can do with a blink is good.

* Blink - Repel is the most obvious. Normally you're supposed to cast it before your carries jump in, but sometimes your carries are stupid and YOLO too much. Remove the 'sometimes'.
* Blink - Guardian Angel. If you don't have Aghs, GA has a pathetic 600 AOE so it's useless unless you have proper positioning
* Blink - Degen Aura. What's the point of a 200-something range slow if you can't apply it?

* Repel yourself, and blink out. With repel on he essentially takes no damage because he can't get stunned and melee heroes can't catch up to him, so guaranteed escape FTW.

Omni is actually a really good blink holder.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved