Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Thoughts about Alchemist

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Thoughts about Alchemist 35 posts - page 4 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » April 4, 2015 7:08am | Report
Well, it depends, what's your skill build?

- If you max Acid Spray and Unstable Concoction, you're playing a pure ganking Alch with no farming. So yes in this case Crimson Guard makes sense to help you fight HOWEVER it doesn't use the farming ability of the hero which is the only decent part about him. Support Alch is outdated as hell ; there are far better early gankers, so just play Midas Venge or something.

- If you max Acid Spray and Greevil's Greed, you are a pretty good farmer but since you have no stun, you can't gank. So building a fighting item like crimson makes no sense whatsoever since you're useless in fights, With that build the only thing you can do is hit creeps, so you should be going Maelstrom instead.

- If you max Unstable Concoction and Greevil's Greed (what I always used to do back when I played him), you're a pretty good ganker still but you need a farming item to clear creeps otherwise greed does nothing, so again maelstrom.

Besides Acid Spray is a pretty poor farming skill honestly. I remember having experimented with it back in the days, and I came to the conclusion that taking stats was better than skilling it (this was back when his stun and ult were good skills though).
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KEEP CALM AND FEED » April 4, 2015 7:42am | Report
Quoted:
I know it doesn't, but still, you're buying a tank item as a first item, on a hero who is supposed to snowball with farm and pickoffs. I just don't see the point.

Besides the only real benefit on Vanguard is that it allows you to tank creeps and farm jungle. Alch doesn't need that since he can heal with ult.

CG solves his early armor and ****py health gain. as you said get 0-3-2 build and whenever you see an opportunity, you take it.

I do get your point that his core still his maelstrom.

You cant regen yourself out of death you know.

KEEP CALM AND FEED

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (15)
Steam: KEEP CALM AND FEED
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » April 4, 2015 9:00am | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

Well, it depends, what's your skill build?

- If you max Acid Spray and Unstable Concoction, you're playing a pure ganking Alch with no farming. So yes in this case Crimson Guard makes sense to help you fight HOWEVER it doesn't use the farming ability of the hero which is the only decent part about him. Support Alch is outdated as hell ; there are far better early gankers, so just play Midas Venge or something.

- If you max Acid Spray and Greevil's Greed, you are a pretty good farmer but since you have no stun, you can't gank. So building a fighting item like crimson makes no sense whatsoever since you're useless in fights, With that build the only thing you can do is hit creeps, so you should be going Maelstrom instead.

- If you max Unstable Concoction and Greevil's Greed (what I always used to do back when I played him), you're a pretty good ganker still but you need a farming item to clear creeps otherwise greed does nothing, so again maelstrom.

Besides Acid Spray is a pretty poor farming skill honestly. I remember having experimented with it back in the days, and I came to the conclusion that taking stats was better than skilling it (this was back when his stun and ult were good skills though).

1 point in Acid Spray for the -4 armour on creeps (which helps you get some farm) and heroes (to deter them from fighting in the laning phase), 1 point in Greevil's Greed for extra income, and max stun. My skill build after that depends on the game. If I have to go extra aggro, then max Acid Spray. If the pace of the game is fairly slow and I'm finding free farm, then max greed. If I have to farm ancients a lot, then I put another point or 2 into Acid Spray.

Even if Acid Spray deals very little damage, the minus armour effect is too strong to pass up. Even if it's only -4 armour at level 1, it makes some difference when neutral and lane creeps have little to no armour, so it still accelerates your farm, albeit slightly. But throwing down an Acid Spray between the pull camp and medium camp in the radiant jungle really accelerates Alch's farm, and you might even stack the pull camp while the creeps are fighting you. And at max level, it's -7 armour, which is basically a Medallion's worth, so I wouldn't skip the ability for stats. If you actually bought Medallion of Courage as well, that would be -14 armour. So, Acid Spray is still good if you wanna farm/play aggressively as Alch.

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Konstantin_C » April 4, 2015 6:01pm | Report

CG solves his early armor and ****py health gain. as you said get 0-3-2 build and whenever you see an opportunity, you take it.

I do get your point that his core still his maelstrom.

You cant regen yourself out of death you know.

Well said sir. Alchemist farms his Vanguard for 5-6 minutes, that's still really quick. Everybody agrees that Mjollnir and Assault Cuirass are still his cores but now we have to put here Crimson Guard, too. I don't agree that Unstable Concoction should be maxed if you are playing as position 1 - hard carry in safe lane. It's just too much nerfed. Greevil's Greed should be maxed out and one support should stack neutrals.
Thanks to all people that came here with an idea and tried to offer solution because it gave result. Alchemist carry (only in pubs) is back![/b]
For the people that think we are writing bull**** here: Think out of box, play matches as Alchemist and you will understand.

Konstantin_C

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » April 5, 2015 2:19am | Report
I knew this would work out! Thanks to everyone who participated in this discussion, and special thanks to Kyphoid for the item suggestion :).

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved