Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Thoughts about Alchemist

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Thoughts about Alchemist 35 posts - page 1 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » March 28, 2015 7:45am | Report
At one point in dota history, Alchemist was a very popular pick as a number 1 position in competitive games (along with Weaver offlane). In fact, he was apparently so strong that Icefraud nerfed the **** out of carry Alchemist. However, players still continued to play Alchemist, this time as a support. Then Icefraud nerfed his stun.

How does that frozen amphibian want us to play Alchemist? A number #3 tanky dual offlaner? Whatever it is, now Alchemist really needs some tank items to survive an onslaught of nukes, but he still sorta needs damage and attack speed items to wreck face. Has anyone had any success with this hero lately, and if so, what item build do you use?

Let the theorycrafting begin.

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » March 28, 2015 8:05am | Report
problem:

he needs more farm then any other carry to be on par with any other carry.

where a troll needs s&y and helm

alch will need mjollnir ac and basher

and will still lose ..

decrease base attack time and increase hp regen during ult and you will have a viable carry.

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyphoid returns » March 28, 2015 8:08am | Report
porygon361 wrote:

How does that frozen amphibian want us to play Alchemist?

That is one question which is kind of an oxymoron.
Why do you "play" out of meta heroes"?

If you still want to play him, build a Crimson Guard. And i mean rush it.
Proceed to get BKB,SKADI,AC,MJOLLNIR.
In case you need basher/abbyssal either sell crimson guard or skadi.

He benefits,A LOT in aggro trilanes. because he gets bonus gold. So you level your stun and greevils greed and compete for last hits against their safelane.
He is high risk high payoff; something like a deathball strat in current ricing meta.And unlike deathball, he will have his luxuries in 20 mins.

Offtopic: what would you say if i said antimage Blink cd will be 4 seconds at max level?
I think this answers your question.
Go On, Feed Me.

Kyphoid returns

Remarkable (42)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » March 28, 2015 8:09am | Report
Porygon trying to redeem trash heroes xD

Seriously, he's just overnerfed. His ulti used to give him 900 (!!) bonus HP. His stun used to be good. He used to be playable.

Honestly I think I can achieve a far higher winrate by playing offlane Spectre every game than by picking Alchemist.

If there was a redeeming factor about the hero (which there isn't), it's would be maxing Acid Spray for lane control, either for mid or offlane. Like maxing spray and greed and leaving stun at 1 or even skipping stun completely, because stun is bad now. Spam spray in lane with a Soul Ring (or a Battle Fury rush) for mana and farm with greed.
But then, well, congrats you won the lane and got farm but your hero still doesn't use the farm well, because he's just good at stunning himself.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » March 28, 2015 9:13am | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

Porygon trying to redeem trash heroes xD

Seriously, he's just overnerfed. His ulti used to give him 900 (!!) bonus HP. His stun used to be good. He used to be playable.

Honestly I think I can achieve a far higher winrate by playing offlane Spectre every game than by picking Alchemist.

If there was a redeeming factor about the hero (which there isn't), it's would be maxing Acid Spray for lane control, either for mid or offlane. Like maxing spray and greed and leaving stun at 1 or even skipping stun completely, because stun is bad now. Spam spray in lane with a Soul Ring (or a Battle Fury rush) for mana and farm with greed.
But then, well, congrats you won the lane and got farm but your hero still doesn't use the farm well, because he's just good at stunning himself.

Yeah, Alchemist is literally the worst hero in dota right now thanks to those nerfs. But ever since the Juggernaut MOM incident, I thought that maybe certain items would bring out his full potential. I'm probably gonna do some Alchemist play-testing with different item builds and see how it turns out.

Hero Idea Archive

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » March 28, 2015 9:14am | Report
So let's look at the Hero's strengths.

-Farms fast
-Attacks fast
-High regen
-Has a stun (lol)
-Has -armour
-Bashes

Farms fast: Pick Anti-Mage or Terrorblade.

Attacks fast: Pick Troll.

High regen: Pick anyone who builds Satanic.

Has a stun: Pick Wraith King, Sven, you get the picture.

Has -armour: Pick Slardar.

Bashes: Pick Void, Slardar, or Troll.

Alch's problem is that a bunch of carries do what he does, but better. Sure, he does it all, but none of it very well. To be viable as a carry, he needs not to have Greevil's Greed buffed, but to have increased stat gain and lane presence. His stun sucks hard as well due to being so hard to land it off - there are numerous fixes to this. I see absolutely no situation in which I'd draft Alchemist over Troll Warlord, because Troll has better manfight, better carry potential, is less item dependant, better lane, and has better utility as well.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » March 28, 2015 9:15am | Report

That is one question which is kind of an oxymoron.
Why do you "play" out of meta heroes"?

If you still want to play him, build a Crimson Guard. And i mean rush it.
Proceed to get BKB,SKADI,AC,MJOLLNIR.
In case you need basher/abbyssal either sell crimson guard or skadi.

He benefits,A LOT in aggro trilanes. because he gets bonus gold. So you level your stun and greevils greed and compete for last hits against their safelane.
He is high risk high payoff; something like a deathball strat in current ricing meta.And unlike deathball, he will have his luxuries in 20 mins.

Offtopic: what would you say if i said antimage Blink cd will be 4 seconds at max level?
I think this answers your question.

The Crimson Guard rush sounds like an interesting build for a tank Alchemist. I'm gonna try that one first :D.

Hero Idea Archive

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyphoid returns » March 28, 2015 9:20am | Report
porygon361 wrote:

The Crimson Guard rush sounds like an interesting build for a tank Alchemist. I'm gonna try that one first :D.

I do that whenever i do AR games and random Alchemist.
Then i instantly change my name to GGICEFRAUD.
I wreck face.
In case i lose, i type GGICEFRAUD in all chat.

No harm no foul eh?
Go On, Feed Me.

Kyphoid returns

Remarkable (42)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » March 28, 2015 9:54am | Report
Back when his ulti actually gave him HP and when he had a stun, I used to play carry Alch a lot. Even then his pub winrate was 40%-like, still if I remember I was doing pretty well with him.

What I liked about the hero was that he was both a farming carry and a ganker. Essentially you could alternate between farming with greed by going Mjollnir as first item (back then Mjollnir was OP as hell), AND picking off heroes. Alch was essentially the only hero that could both farm hard AND gank hard, which gave him a huge advantage in the mid-game over AFK farmers like AM,

But now...the nerf on his stun is a complete turn-off, as well as his abysmal stats, and the fact that you can't rebuy BKB anymore.

@ Tera : Of course there's no reason to ever pick Alch when you can pick Troll. But that's just due to Troll being broken :)
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KEEP CALM AND FEED » March 28, 2015 10:11am | Report
With great Disdain and shock i must admit that alchemist item build works as the one suggusted by Kyphoid Returns.
http://en.dotabuff.com/matches/1355269948

I thought he was a troll.I have my doubts still.

But he is a good buddy, you get a rep for this build you suggested. I think if BKB is not needed then you can go butterfly by selling
crimson guard

KEEP CALM AND FEED

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (15)
Steam: KEEP CALM AND FEED
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved