Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Omni Played all wrong?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Omni Played all wrong? 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Jamin » January 21, 2014 9:24am | Report
Theres a few thing I want to discuss about the almighty omniknight.

-Everywhere I look says omni should be played as a baby-sitter for a hard carry. However he cannot fill this role early game. he is one of the worst lane supports in the game havin no harass and being melee. knowing this the hard carry should b baby-sat by another support.

playing omni and taking farm? the way I'm propossing is accually saving omni for last pick. He will take on the tank role and your other pickups should b 2 other more genaric supports with utilities and high dps strong mid game carrys. Tiny is perfect. Luna is good. slardar works well. The idea in this is that before initiation he repels the hard carry and stands back. 14 seconds later bkb yourself if they switch targets to you and heal your carry. Im just throwing out ideas. Give me your thoughts. This isn't a carry role as much as a mid-late game ultimate support, pretty situational thou. im not saying he'd b a good carry, because hes not lol unless your puppy. Think of him as an extension of life to your hard carry.

Im a big fan of the regular omni support as well. Im currently on an 8 game win streak with him :) the only thing is you pretty much have to lane with a ranged carry. I often build the standard soul ring, mana boots, mec, then somtimes i like to get a force staff before a hex. He doesn't really need levels that much. After around 13 you reach his max potential.

I think the biggest skill an omniknight needs to perfect is knowing when to repel. this requires always knowing what the enemy spells could b and anticipate when they might use them, just always b thinking would they cast that spell now?. hitting his heal on time is fairly easy since you just watch the hp bar but you have to anticipate enemy moves to cast repel on time. Which I think makes omni a more aggressive character than deffensive because the easyest way to cast repel on time is before any confrontation at all. Also you need to not b hesitant with gaurdian angel because in the middle of a team fight it is very intimidating. Ive also had success popping it as the team runs away to turn on the diving opponents. Communication needs to be strong to commit to these though.

It seems as though he should not b just a normal support though. He cant support a lane And items are incredibly good on him. It seems as though he should be a hero that takes lh. Even if hes a "support" he is unlike all other supports.

Laning options with him are limited. A trilane seems never worth it because he has a lack of offensive capabilities. unless you have alot of other stuns to hold someone down. essentialy i find the only option is a 212

Give me your thought on how omni should b played because I think he a lot more potential than people give him credit for.

Jamin

Steam: Jamin
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » January 21, 2014 12:02pm | Report
Let's see...
Jamin wrote:

-Everywhere I look says omni should be played as a baby-sitter for a hard carry. However he cannot fill this role early game. he is one of the worst lane supports in the game havin no harass and being melee. knowing this the hard carry should b baby-sat by another support.

Finally someone realizes it! I actually think he's better as an off-laner than a support, but he can still do well when supporting carries like Weaver and Clinkz that aren't that susceptible to harass damage and ganking combos.

Jamin wrote:

playing omni and taking farm? the way I'm propossing is accually saving omni for last pick. He will take on the tank role and your other pickups should b 2 other more genaric supports with utilities and high dps strong mid game carrys. Tiny is perfect. Luna is good. slardar works well. The idea in this is that before initiation he repels the hard carry and stands back. 14 seconds later bkb yourself if they switch targets to you and heal your carry. Im just throwing out ideas. Give me your thoughts. This isn't a carry role as much as a mid-late game ultimate support, pretty situational thou. im not saying he'd b a good carry, because hes not lol unless your puppy. Think of him as an extension of life to your hard carry.

There's actually no "tank" role in Dota 2: the main roles are "core" (carry, semi-carry), "utility" (off-laners, aura holders, initiators etc.) and "support" (self-explanatory). I guess you're referring to the utility role, in which case I completely agree.
Anyway, Tiny isn't a mid-game carry (unless you play him with the outdated Arcanes-Blink item build), Luna isn't one either (she's actually very weak before getting a BKB, but this still makes her a good candidate for Omni).
The reasoning is pretty solid though.

Jamin wrote:

Im a big fan of the regular omni support as well. Im currently on an 8 game win streak with him :) the only thing is you pretty much have to lane with a ranged carry. I often build the standard soul ring, mana boots, mec, then somtimes i like to get a force staff before a hex. He doesn't really need levels that much. After around 13 you reach his max potential.

Nothing to say here, but the laning partners you're referring to are basically what I suggested above. :D

Jamin wrote:

I think the biggest skill an omniknight needs to perfect is knowing when to repel. this requires always knowing what the enemy spells could b and anticipate when they might use them, just always b thinking would they cast that spell now?. hitting his heal on time is fairly easy since you just watch the hp bar but you have to anticipate enemy moves to cast repel on time. Which I think makes omni a more aggressive character than deffensive because the easyest way to cast repel on time is before any confrontation at all. Also you need to not b hesitant with gaurdian angel because in the middle of a team fight it is very intimidating. Ive also had success popping it as the team runs away to turn on the diving opponents. Communication needs to be strong to commit to these though.

True, if you want to play a good Omniknight you have to get some experience first, like knowing the cast times and how the enemies would react to your ultimate.

Jamin wrote:

It seems as though he should not b just a normal support though. He cant support a lane And items are incredibly good on him. It seems as though he should be a hero that takes lh. Even if hes a "support" he is unlike all other supports.

Laning options with him are limited. A trilane seems never worth it because he has a lack of offensive capabilities. unless you have alot of other stuns to hold someone down. essentialy i find the only option is a 212

Give me your thought on how omni should b played because I think he a lot more potential than people give him credit for.

As said before, I think the "best" (competitive-wise) lane for Omni is the off-lane: decent experience, the possibility to get last-hits and get farmed, plus the fact that you can really annoy the enemy laners with a random Purification on a creep they're close to. He can stand versus a trilane thanks to his main skills, Purification and Repel, but he needs an early Soul Ring to do so. He has some potential, but I don't see him as a "good" pick because all his abilities can be purged: you can last-pick him so that the enemies won't get a Shadow Demon or a Diffusal Blade carrier, but someone will eventually pick one, probably; silences and initiations are also very problematic for Omniknight, but it's the same for every other Hero. Another problem is his poor teamfight contribution after he throws all his spells or if he's out of mana, but if you can make all your Repels and Purifications count you are in a good spot; you have to be a very good Omniknight player though.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by F.E.A.R.0 » January 21, 2014 2:04pm | Report
I agree with you to. Hes a terrible baby sitter but no one plays him Durable, Initiator.

I wasn't kissing her, I was whispering in her mouth. ~Chico Marx
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
Please PM me if you spot anything missing or outdated in the data base

F.E.A.R.0
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (38)
Steam: F.E.A.R.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by F.E.A.R.0 » January 21, 2014 2:18pm | Report

There's actually no "tank" role in Dota 2: the main roles are "core" (carry, semi-carry), "utility" (off-laners, aura holders, initiators etc.) and "support" (self-explanatory). I guess you're referring to the utility role, in which case I completely agree.
Anyway, Tiny isn't a mid-game carry (unless you play him with the outdated Arcanes-Blink item build), Luna isn't one either (she's actually very weak before getting a BKB, but this still makes her a good candidate for Omni).
The reasoning is pretty solid though.

Yes there isn't one. Translated is Durable, Initiator or can be just Durable. You know that carry is divided in to 3 and support 4: semi-carry, carry, hard carry, semi-support, lane support, support, hard support. The other roles: off-laners, gankers, nukers (spell caster this was actually used back in WC3), escape, pusher, roamer, jungler, disabler. Omni is better played Durable from my point of view. Support is good to. Actually the main problem that makes me angry in Dota 2 is that players only know "carry" and "support" role. You can pick Omni or someone like him and you want to play Durable. Others will jump in and say: ahahha, ****king noob you are support you **** and etc. And do I have to comment about this? They just need a knuckle sandwich right in the face.

I wasn't kissing her, I was whispering in her mouth. ~Chico Marx
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
Please PM me if you spot anything missing or outdated in the data base

F.E.A.R.0
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (38)
Steam: F.E.A.R.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by T1mmay » January 21, 2014 4:08pm | Report
Omni offlane doesn't work in my opinion. He's not like bounty hunter or dark Seer where they have methods of getting farm or a good escape. His heal will not be able to sustain him until it's at least level 2 and by that time he hold be dead or out of xp range.

So if omni needs farm and can't offlane, anyone ever thought mid would be a good place for him? He can't be easily harassed offlane, will get a bottle to help with mana. I think this is the lane for him, although he is not like most other mids.

T1mmay

Notable (6)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Jamin » January 22, 2014 4:59am | Report
I know he used to be played mid more like years ago. I cant see why not but your team will lose a lot of ganking potential and I couldd see him getting out laned pretty easily by ranged mids. And I agree that offlane would be hard for him. I really think the only lane settup for an omni is a 212 playing quite defensively which is kinda a bummer.

Jamin

Steam: Jamin
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » January 22, 2014 5:55am | Report
Yeah, that's the biggest problem with Omniknight - where the hell do you lane him? He's only a strong lane support with aggressive melee heroes, ideally space closers like Slark, Tusk or Pudge. Even then, you're a kill lane, and pretty much have to secure kills or get harassed a lot.

Alternatively he can work ok with a strong laning ranged hero like Silencer, Razor or Huskar, giving them the survivability to be aggressive.

Tbh even then you really need more mana than Clarity potions can provide, so you're very reliant on kills/assists if you're going to be able to help support and get the equipment you need.

I don't think he's a good call for mid, yes, he'll get the levels he needs and hopefully a bit of farm, but he's a poor ganker and has poor lane control - he'll get eaten alive by a lot of other mids. Even if he doesn't feed this leads their mid being well fed and likely much more able to gank - not a great trade off.

Offlane...he does have good survivability, it depends how well the enemy run their pull camps/lane whether you get much or not. It kinda makes more sense for him than mid, but is pretty dependent on that early Soul Ring and level 2 Purification.

Personally I think he's best run as a #3 or #4. He doesn't have that much potential for damage output (carry), he's all about defending team mates and keeping them fighting. Plenty of auras and survivability equipment so he's there to boost your team, debuff them and be alive to use his important team fight abilities. #5 Hard Support role I don't especially like him for...yes he can be in the team purely for his abilities/casting, but he desperately needs some additional equipment to be anywhere near his potential.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » January 23, 2014 8:21am | Report
T1mmay wrote:

Omni offlane doesn't work in my opinion. He's not like bounty hunter or dark Seer where they have methods of getting farm or a good escape. His heal will not be able to sustain him until it's at least level 2 and by that time he hold be dead or out of xp range.

So if omni needs farm and can't offlane, anyone ever thought mid would be a good place for him? He can't be easily harassed offlane, will get a bottle to help with mana. I think this is the lane for him, although he is not like most other mids.

I don't see why he can't be played in the off-lane: aside from the overused Bristleback that relies solely on his extra resistance to damage, I see a lot of competitive teams putting Nyx Assassin, who has even less possibilities to survive, versus a trilane; plus, keep in mind that Bounty Hunter is easily countered by Sentry Wards and an Omniknight with good reflexes can even survive chainstuns.

Playing him mid is more of a disadvantage than an advantage: leaving the #2 position for Omni might give you a quick Mekansm and let him get some levels, but unless you're playing an aggressive trilane and soloing with a second carry you'd better get something like a Puck that has - objectively - more teamfight presence.

Supporting with him brings nothing to the table (except if you're laning with a carry that can escape/chase like Slark, Weaver or Clinkz), and at the same time you have to let him get the semi-support role as he needs extra levels as soon as possible. Much like an Abaddon, I see him as a good dual lane support only since trilanes give little to no space for him; he can also do well in aggressive trilanes, though in these cases you might want to focus on combos instead of getting a Hero with an expensive heal.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by T1mmay » January 23, 2014 12:11pm | Report
Wait, I'm confused. With good reflexes Omni can dodge chainstuns?? The cast time for repel is ages!!!!
Bounty is countered by sentry wards, but he can leave the lane at about level 3 if required and help the other lanes.
Nyx's Spiked Carapace make it extremely difficult to do chainstuns on him without him casting that spell and breaking it up, giving him time to escape.

I think he would see more play if his spells did not have such long cast times. I mean, there are few stuns that take longer to cast than it takes him to repel. If against a Lina and Leshrac lane then yes it would be fine.

I'm not saying mid is that great for him, i'm just saying it's the only place he can do not terribly in most the time. He probably would need assistance from a jungler or support to keep some lane control, but if he gets a Mek there would be that short time where you could try a 5 man push strat. Your carry could skip a bkb and go straight to a damage item. It can be countered pretty easily, but against some lineups it could work very well.

Well although most of you will think i'm crazy for my idea, my thoughts are just too next meta for you :p :p

T1mmay

Notable (6)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by xCO2 » January 23, 2014 12:59pm | Report
Overall Omni is pretty situational for a good draft. He's easily kited, has slow animations, and has a fuzzy laning phase. He's just not a reliable insta-pick / insta-ban hero, and I don't think he ever will be the flavor of the month unless he receives some direct changes. He doesn't have that above average stat gain that gives some heroes an advantage and when you pair that with a sub-par skill set for a melee hero you get a sub-par hero.

Offlane, Middle, and Support are all viable roles according to what your draft is. As an offlaner he does take a bit to come online, and it could be dangerous to venture past river in some cases. But the fail safe for playing an offlaner who struggles for early exp is to just to ward the pull camps and sit under tower, in due time you'll get a wave that pushes up to the front of river and you soak up the exp. If they want to dive you your team can rotate in with TPs and clean up, Omni is pretty anti burst so the chances of you dying are slim. And while it takes a windup for his repel, if drafted against the right heroes it should be pretty easy to dodge slow projectiles. But he'll never roll the lane like some other offlaners can.

As a middle laner he can get an early level 6 and become a global assistance much like Troll Warlord, he's a decent chaser (especially if you get an OoV) and is an exceptional diver. If you can resist falling behind your lane opponent it's very easy to dominate the lane once you have a decent exp pool. The problem is that he has no major rune control, and he's an awful ganker without chain stuns.

As a support its pretty clear he's not a baby-sitter, and you shouldn't be drafting him as so, he's supposed to be an aggressive laner when paired. I think this is his best and most reliable role, he can be played in a trilane sure but a duo lane with an early game carry works best because he's everything he would be in another lane without taking the exp from a much better pick. Because while he can get an early Mekanism in a higher role, he could do that as a support. The only benefit for having him outside of a 4 is to roll the dice on getting an early Skadim, and I would personally prefer my inventory be something like Arcane/Mek/Drum/Pipe/Casual OoV.

xCO2
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (72)
Steam: RUSH_and_ABUSE
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved