Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Has Faceless Void lost his throne?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Has Faceless Void lost his throne? 12 posts - page 1 of 2

Poll Question:

Does Void still go super hard?
Void still goes hard.
No. He goes home.
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cuttleboss » February 20, 2015 9:44pm | Report
A few versions ago, before TI4, I think everyone would've put Void in that top tier with Medusa and Spectre (I like to put Terrorblade up there too [Also Arc Warden, **** that guy!!!], but the big three are the ones that are a consensus) for highest carry potential. It was pretty much a fact for about as long as Dota 2 has been around.

But after looking at the massive winrate loss of Void in comp games, and my personal experience, always being underwhelmed by his late game performance, I think I can say the nerf after nerf has knocked him out of that top tier.

Like, when Chronosphere disabled passives, he didn't need a MKB, you could use that money on another butterfly or something. When Chronosphere didn't cost you a face to cast, you could buy refresher without going Aghs, or like some funky low farm build like Diffusal Manta. Plus, without his sphere, he's really not very impressive.

Yet I don't see too many people voicing thoughts this one. Do you think Void is still in the hardest tier? Or has he abdicated to the two Top Madames?

Cuttleboss
<Editor>

Remarkable (28)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » February 21, 2015 3:04am | Report
Agreed, the last nerfs knocked him out of top tier.

He is still often good in low tier pubs though since people dont know how to spread and just want to teamfight. And every game goes 40+ minutes....

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » February 21, 2015 3:34am | Report
I don't think Faceless Void has ever been the hardest late game carry in dota (I always considered Medusa to have that place). I mean the most OP carry, definitely. But the best late game hero in doto? Probably not.

When you had a 5 second Black Hole on an 80 second cooldown as your ult and a Refresher Orb on a 165 second cooldown...it was one of the biggest imbalances in dota history honestly. Press R twice, win game. But now that he's mostly balanced out...

I always saw Void as kind of a snowballing carry. He needs a good start. He needs to be ahead all the time otherwise he just can't kill anyone in Chronosphere. And he's a terrible, terrible comeback hero. If you're behind with Void you're pretty much out of the game honestly.

He's a momentum dependent snowball carry. Get good early farm, get pickoffs every chrono, and once you have good momentum you're unstoppable.
He's definitely not the kind of turtling carry for 1 hour games. You probably won't come back from a bad start with Void just by letting the game go late.

But true he has always been and still is a good pub hero, just like any snowballing hero that scales well into late game.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » February 21, 2015 3:45am | Report
^Same goes for Spectre, heh?
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » February 21, 2015 3:53am | Report
^ Not exactly. Spectre IS a pretty snowball-y carry because she can get out of control at any time as soon as she hits 6...but she's also a very good comeback hero. You can lose your lane extremely hard as Spectre, you'll get back in the game with successful Haunt ganks.
A Void with no farm is completely useless because he can't kill anyone in chrono. A Spectre with no farm still has Haunt, Spectral Dagger and Desolate which means instant death to anyone who's sitting on his own.
If you get a bad start as Spectre you can comeback either by farming isolated heroes with Desolate or by turtling and letting the game go late enough.

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » February 21, 2015 4:19am | Report
Mmm kinda, there's no doubt he's been taken down a few pegs, but really it was necessary as people learned to abuse the combos that are possible around him. That huge AOE BKB piercing stun is still extremely strong, but he is kinda dependent on it.

I'd say Void is probably the best laner/escaper out of the 3 though, he's more useful with less farm than the others provided your team have at least some abilities that make good use of Chrono. Spectre has a terrible laning phase, and is only useful with a lot of items/lead. Medusa slightly better laning than her, more useful ult without farm, but very vulnerable to ganks, ult is also generally easier to avoid, and she takes forever to really come online.

I wouldn't write Void off completely as a comeback hero - that kind of teamfight is always useful, but he's dependent on allies to deal the damage then. That's not really the discussion here though - hardest carry? It's difficult to say, although 6 slotted these days I'd probably lean towards the other two over him.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » February 21, 2015 4:23am | Report
He works as a comeback hero IF he has allies that deal damage in chrono, yes.

But I've seen wayy too much pubs play Void offlane without any synergy with chrono in their team and be essentially as useful as an offlane Anti-Mage :)

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » February 21, 2015 7:39am | Report
Honestly, I think Morphling is a better carry than void, simply because he actually gets to lategame without being crushed.

Shotgun so good. Even after it was nerfed.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Blubbles » February 21, 2015 11:07am | Report
I still rek in pubs with him, but he has lost ground in the competitive scene
Mood of the Day

-_-

Blubbles

Notable (13)
Steam: Axolotl
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » February 21, 2015 4:04pm | Report
Blubbles wrote:

I still rek in pubs with him, but he has lost ground in the competitive scene

Because picking void in pub is auto win. Seriously, no matter what we do, he will get farm and will wipe your team.

The Chrono
The one chrono to rule them all
The one chrono to wipe them all
The one chrono to rule the world
The one chrono to stomp them all
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved