Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Getting Doombringer up and running sooner

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Getting Doombringer up and running sooner 7 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » February 12, 2013 10:33am | Report
I've randomed Doom a few times now and ended up jungling with him. People have mentioned before that he starts to suffer against hard carries, and I want to be useful to my team earlier on than the standard Radiance or Hand of Midas builds allow.

To start with, I got Vladmir's Offering ASAP, then Phase Boots, gank the lane on 6 with Doom, then get an Armlet of Mordiggian straight after. Heart of Tarrasque after, and was then heading for Assault Cuirass when we won the game.

I found I could do a fair chunk of damage early on, and between armlet and vlad's had enough tankability and life steal to support it. Heart added some damage plus allows you to keep armlet running all the time.

Any thoughts on this build? Could it be improved? And does the damage aura from vlad's stack with alpha wolf?

The game in question was this one, the team seemed to do pretty well regardless, so hard to tell how effective the build was, other than it seemed pretty good. A fair portion of my kills/assists came before 20 btw, it wasn't just a late stomping spree.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » February 12, 2013 11:31am | Report
That is the old school build you are using.People used to build:

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » February 12, 2013 3:15pm | Report
Thanks Wolfstan, that's interesting to know. I came up with the build off the top of my head during the game (vlads cos I want to be able to sustain in the jungle, armlet to be effective as early as possible), but didn't think it could be truly original. Once I got up and running I seemed pretty tanky already so skipped the Vanguard and went straight for heart (at least worth some extra damage on top of the massive hp/heal).

Is there a reason it went out of style? Is just a fashion thing, or does it have fundamental weaknesses?

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Vash » February 12, 2013 4:29pm | Report
Sando wrote:

Is there a reason it went out of style? Is just a fashion thing, or does it have fundamental weaknesses?

This is purely speculation, but perhaps it just wasn't enough farm fast enough to make doom viable as a late game carry. Midas and Radiance are both items that if you don't them early on you might as well pass, however both of those items are incredible sources of revenue.
"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that." - Vash the Stampede

Lest we forget...

Vash

Notable (10)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by daPhongster » February 12, 2013 10:41pm | Report
I think people stopped jungling as him as much. This is probably because his ganks are weak before 6 and mediocre at 6 (Doom isn't that good).

Vlad's would not help him much in lane. He will not be attacking much for lifesteal to take effect. I think Vlad's is really the most un-meta item in your build, everything else people take on Doom occassionally.

To get Doom up faster, I see people go caster/tank as him, taking soul ring or MP boots. It helps him spam whatever he devoured, as well as his base abilities. Soul Ring on Doom at lvl 6 means that you'll always have mp to cast ult if you can use the ring.

daPhongster

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » February 13, 2013 2:16am | Report
Thanks for the input guys - no doubt Midas and Radiance can both bring you in a lot of income, but they both have a long payoff time/breakeven point - it assumes that the rest of your team can fight 4v5 reasonably well until quite late in the game, and that the enemy carries won't end up able to outcarry him at that point. Both pretty big assumptions?

Doombringer is a funny character in that he's hard to place exactly in a role. His woeful agility limits his late game carry somewhat, but he's a great tank and can do good damage with the right items.

His starting skills point me towards the jungle... Devour...sure it's slightly useful in lane, but nicking the abilities is all about jungle creeps. Kinda the same with Scorched Earth - yeah it can be used for pushing/damage, but you don't want to be using it too much early game in the lane.

Not really sold on him as a caster...yeah Doom can be lethal, used right, but it's not like he's Lina or something. So that kinda leaves him as a situational counter-pick..?

The vlads was a bit of a punt really - thought the combination of Damage/Mana/Armour/Lifesteal would be handy...and as it turned out, didn't see ONE SODDING ALPHA WOLF all game :)

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » February 13, 2013 3:50am | Report
Quoted:

Its only weakness was not exploiting Doom's strength...and that is farming like a *****.The only one that could have matched doom in a farming game was the really old old Alchemist,and the even older Drow Ranger which ultimate gave her a chance of instantly killing a mob,or the Gambler.

And one more thing...Old Doom couldn't jungle,as he had a level restriction to eating the creeps.Though,from level 6 on,he was the best laner ever by picking up the small satyr with the purge,dooming someone,purging for 5 seconds,and then just right click their ***.

If by any chance they would have escaped,Then just go LVL?Death their *** because if it would be lvl 1,presuming you maxed Devour/ Scorched Earth,it would deal +250 damage,which would have meant to many heroes(perhaps not Old Centaur or Tidehunter),their death.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved