Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Buffing the most badass INT carry

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Buffing the most badass INT carry 24 posts - page 2 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » October 20, 2015 11:09pm | Report
Guys guys...OD has to be weak to BKB. That's like, the constitutive part about the hero! You can't remove that. Pure damage is blocked by BKB, that's, you know, the point of pure damage. Besides you already have Bambi to pierce BKB, and that stuff would be OP on any other hero, especially an actual carry like OD.
The problem is, OD has *lots* of other weaknesses that have nothing to do with BKB, so maybe fix them first :

- nothing against evasion, cause MKB sucks on him
- lacks proper initiation. You can make an INT version of Silver Edge for example to fix that. In "dota imba" mode there's an INT version of Sange or Yasha called "azura", strap it on a shadowblade, make it increase magic and pure damage by 25% on the target when you break invis, and there you get a good OD item, that allows you to play him as a snowballer like he's supposed to.
- too kiteable, especially by blinks (buff Atos to fix that volvo, or make an upgrade to atos that does that...)
- ult cooldown is too high, limiting his teamfight presence to "once every 3 minutes"
- no longer wins mid that reliably, even in 1v1 matchups. He used to have free HP regen with the old tranquils back when he was a popular pick, giving him infinite sustain in lane. You can buff his base HP regen for example.

There are ways around BKBs. They can be baited. They can be kited. They only last 5 seconds later in the game. They're irrelevant when you initiate first with ult or sheep.
There is just no way around evasion from these 15 minute solar crests in every game, massive kiting, losing mid to Drow Ranger (yes, he does, I'm not joking, and that's just one of the many embarassing things about his laning these days), his ult having a higher cooldown than Phantasm or Ravage without even wrecking teamfights as hard, his weakness to rat dota...and similar stuff unless Icefrog fixes that.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » October 21, 2015 12:53am | Report
Tbh I don't even think Arcane Orb piercing BKB actually solves the heroes issues, or makes him super viable. He's still a hero that absolutely needs to be ahead at all points in the game without a way to ensure that.

Like he'll still be a hero who has next to no team-fight potential unless he's ahead (And that's only once every 3 minutes essentially), and can't flash farm or gank to ensure he gets ahead. He can't really crush lanes hard enough to ensure he gets that advantage, and his laning opponent will probably have stacks to help him catch up and get ahead eventually.

Making his orb pierce BKB just means that when the heroes good, he'd be actually terrifying, I don't think it makes him good in the first place.

I kinda like the idea of buffing his base HP regen, given he's a mid that never wants to build Bottle, but kinda has to because of HP sustain issues.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » October 21, 2015 1:15am | Report
Sanvitch wrote:

Making his orb pierce BKB just means that when the heroes good, he'd be actually terrifying, I don't think it makes him good in the first place.

OD doesn't need to be ahead to have high right-click damage with orb though. Only for his ult. If you allow him to 4-shot BKB'd heroes, it's still overpowered...just look at gool ol' Lina for example :)

Quoted:

I kinda like the idea of buffing his base HP regen, given he's a mid that never wants to build Bottle, but kinda has to because of HP sustain issues.

Yes, and now with the Bottle nerf it's not even viable anymore, the heal is just sooo weak.

Personally I always used to play OD with mass Healing Salves. Kind of the OD version of bottle crowing (and it doesn't even slow your courier xD)

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » October 21, 2015 4:38am | Report
Do you guys think Mekansm would be great on him?
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » October 21, 2015 4:40am | Report
It's certainly legit, but requires you to go somewhat deathball-style with him and participate in a lot of early fights. Frankly, I'd rather go Atos or Force Staff.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » October 21, 2015 4:46am | Report
Unscathed wrote:

Do you guys think Mekansm would be great on him?

It used to be, back around the TI3 times where he was actually picked.

But now, I don't know what kind of hero Nerfkansm is even good on. 65 second cooldown, bleh. Like, I haven't seen a Razor with mek in competitive in a long time, they all go SnY/Aghs these days.

OD is not a deathball hero, since he's one of the worst pushers in the game. Picking OD doesn't fit a deathball playstyle anyways. Honestly it's better to build him to kill heroes before they buy BKB, since that's what he's really good at. He only needs ~level 9 and an atos to be a great fighter. Some people rush blink on him, and it's actually really legit. Astral Imprisonment yourself and blink out for free escapes...actually OD gets more out of a blink than a force.

You can go mek on him if your team absolutely needs one, but it doesn't really fit his playstyle and his strengths.

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » October 21, 2015 5:05am | Report
mek also had to do with the fact that buckler and the active of old tranquils triggered his aura.
so he just went tranquils bucker, had infinate sustain, and then disassembled for headress and finished up the mek.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » October 21, 2015 6:12am | Report
Yeah, the hero isn't a good Deathball hero, or really an early fighter, so Mek just isn't good on him. Since the only times you buy it are either because you are an early game deathabll hero, or someone who'll build into greaves. Or if there's gonna be a lot of early fighting and you have no other natural builder who'll get it at a relevent time.

Also OD doesn't actually need armour as much as he needs HP early on, because he has high base armour as it is, but mediocre HP.

Even just casual Vit Booster works well on him since it builds into Octarine Core if you don't go Atos.

There's a lot of work that could be done with the hero because he's just eeeeh. But he needs multiple minor tweaks, or one really big one before he gets a solid place again.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by YellulzQuiet » October 22, 2015 8:22pm | Report
Terathiel wrote:

Something I'd suggested to make him better in the 6.85 notes I'd written:

-Agility gain increased to 2.45.
-Astral Imprisonment now deals 50 damage at the end of its duration.
-Astral Imprisonment can now be cancelled prematurely by tapping the W button again.

Which is a huge buff to his carry and kiting issues.

However, I also suggested an item which was designed with both him and Silencer in mind:

Royal Scepter of Hells (4100)
Ingredients: Staff of Wizardry, Gloves of Haste, Perseverance, Recipe (850)
+15 Intelligence
+35 Attack Speed
+10 Damage
+5 Health regeneration
+150% Mana regeneration
Passive: Affinity. Grants a 25% chance upon casting a single-target spell on an enemy for the spell to jump to another enemy within 300 units. Has a 10% chance to jump a second time. Functions with autocast effects.
Active: Toggle. Toggles Affinity on or off.

Excuse the lack of formatting. This item grants him flashfarming capabilities, allowing him to keep pace with his rival in the midlane, since normally they just outfarm him by eating the jungle whereas OD cannot. It's a dedicated INT Battle Fury with decent offensive characteristics.

And I agree, something needs to be done with his evasion issues.

Lol this item is so brroken, imgaine necro with 3 scythes in a teamfight

YellulzQuiet

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » October 22, 2015 8:30pm | Report
You'd think so, but: it's a 30% chance for something that isn't guaranteed, requires enemies to be stacked, and the item doesn't benefit Necro in any other way. I don't really see it being worthwhile over a (more reliable) Refresher. Frankly, it'd be scarier on Lion... but he's a support who doesn't get a lot of farm. I did think it through, you know. Literally went through every Hero.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved