Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Basic Items that is actually useful

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Basic Items that is actually useful 35 posts - page 3 of 4

Poll Question:

Any?
Chainmail
Javelin
Helm of Iron Will
Quarterstaff
Pls dont vote this i vote this only so i dont have to vote but still can see the poll
Other
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » January 5, 2015 9:30am | Report
KoDyAbAbA wrote:

how can you be such ignorant tits.

best item in game?

Iron Branch

Best gold efficiency stat item....worst inventory efficiency stat item.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by kkoopman3 » January 5, 2015 12:45pm | Report
[Longest dotafire post of my life]

I will only discuss the four actually listed IN the poll. I put other because I agree with all of them. This really depends on what stage of the game and under what circumstances you wish to purchase each item.

Chainmail:
Chainmail is an extremely cost effective way to reduce the damage done to your hero. I play core Tidehunter quite often, and I usually purchase an arbitrary Chainmail for the armor. If the game goes long, I build this into an AC. However, the merits of this item are good for all heroes. It reduces physical damage done (I believe I did this math right) by 23.08%. This is extremely useful on all heroes, especially those without incredible tankability to start with. However (according to the wiki), it is only 60.6% cost effective (for whatever reason).

Javelin:
As I said above, I sometime purchase an arbitrary Chainmail. However, this is not the case for Javelin, and I'm not sure why. It is only ever purchased to be built into Skull Basher or Monkey King Bar. This does not make it a worthless item, however. Let's assume you spend all of your starting money on tangoes. If you farm at around 500 gold per minute (doable), you could have a 3 or 4 minute Javelin. This means, that at 3 minutes, every 5 hits, you will do an additional 40 damage. For heroes with low damage and high alike, this is a great boost early game. However, since Javelin is not an early game pickup for anybody, it's usefulness simply becomes the fact that you can built into basher and Mkb.

Helm of Iron Will:
This item is INCREDIBLY useful. The armor and HP regen grants survivability you wouldn't believe (I'm thinking of a certain 1 on 1 match between Singsing and Merlini). Again, however, this item is never a standalone pickup. But, it is still useful on ALL heroes. It grants survivability on squishier heroes, as previously stated. You can pick it up on strength heroes to build into an Armlet of Mordiggian, on Intelligence heroes to build into Veil of Discord or on any hero to build into Helm of the Dominator and later Satanic. This is it's usefulness, similar to Javelin.

Quarterstaff:
This item is incredibly useful, even with the intention of simply buying it arbitrarily. The damage is significant to most heroes that usually pick this item up ( Storm Spirit for example), and the attack speed even more so (I just love when you can get off those thousand hits in two seconds, don't you?). However, once again, I would argue that this is never a standalone purchase, like Chainmail has the potential to be. It's price makes it this way.

So? Closing thoughts? I would say the best of these to buy ignoring their upgrades would be Quarterstaff. Despite, Chainmail's incredible survivability boon, Quarterstaff improves your farming time, and your ability to gank, in some cases. However, all four items are useful, and I encourage you to explore them all.

[/Longest dotafire post of my life]

kkoopman3

Remarkable (28)
Steam: Ce.W1sd0m
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » January 5, 2015 2:14pm | Report
How has nobody (That I've seen) mentioned Observer Ward? It's like the best value item in the game (Aside from a GG Branch), and do just win games at times.

Assuming that you've got supports who place them in smart positions, and not really **** ones like in the middle of tree's.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Seagull » January 5, 2015 2:25pm | Report
Sanvitch wrote:

How has nobody (That I've seen) mentioned Observer Ward? It's like the best value item in the game (Aside from a GG Branch), and do just win games at times.

Assuming that you've got supports who place them in smart positions, and not really **** ones like in the middle of tree's.

I'd take a ward over gg branches any day :P

Seagull

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (9)
Steam: HAEÆ
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » January 5, 2015 2:53pm | Report
kkoopman3 wrote:

[Longest dotafire post of my life]

Gratz :)

kkoopman3 wrote:
Chainmail:
Chainmail is an extremely cost effective way to reduce the damage done to your hero. I play core Tidehunter quite often, and I usually purchase an arbitrary Chainmail for the armor. If the game goes long, I build this into an AC. However, the merits of this item are good for all heroes. It reduces physical damage done (I believe I did this math right) by 23.08%. This is extremely useful on all heroes, especially those without incredible tankability to start with. However (according to the wiki), it is only 60.6% cost effective (for whatever reason).

Not entirely accurate - the % reduction it gives you depends on your existing armour rating. If you already have high armour it could be as low as 5.5%, or as high as 25% with a little negative armour.

It is actually quite useful early on most of the time, and has a few useful items you can build into - Blade Mail, Assault Cuirass, Medallion of Courage or Buckler. I actually really like the Buckler, it's so spammable. I'm sometimes a little upset when I upgrade it to a Mekansm.

kkoopman3 wrote:

Javelin:
As I said above, I sometime purchase an arbitrary Chainmail. However, this is not the case for Javelin, and I'm not sure why. It is only ever purchased to be built into Skull Basher or Monkey King Bar. This does not make it a worthless item, however. Let's assume you spend all of your starting money on tangoes. If you farm at around 500 gold per minute (doable), you could have a 3 or 4 minute Javelin. This means, that at 3 minutes, every 5 hits, you will do an additional 40 damage. For heroes with low damage and high alike, this is a great boost early game. However, since Javelin is not an early game pickup for anybody, it's usefulness simply becomes the fact that you can built into basher and Mkb.

It's a bit expensive for a "cheap pickup for later" - neither Monkey King Bar or Skull Basher are that useful early on, because pretty much everyone lacks the mobility/attack speed/everything else they need to really make proper use of them. And it does tie in to them only - a Mithril Hammer is about the same price and builds into more useful things - Desolator, Maelstrom, Black King Bar, etc.

kkoopman3 wrote:

Helm of Iron Will:
This item is INCREDIBLY useful. The armor and HP regen grants survivability you wouldn't believe (I'm thinking of a certain 1 on 1 match between Singsing and Merlini). Again, however, this item is never a standalone pickup. But, it is still useful on ALL heroes. It grants survivability on squishier heroes, as previously stated. You can pick it up on strength heroes to build into an Armlet of Mordiggian, on Intelligence heroes to build into Veil of Discord or on any hero to build into Helm of the Dominator and later Satanic. This is it's usefulness, similar to Javelin.

I do like this item a lot, it can actually be a better pickup for farming sustain/survivability than Morbid Mask if you don't have enough damage to lifesteal well yet. Builds into lots of nice things. However, 5 armour Chain Mail is only 550, it's kinda expensive for what it is, on it's own.

kkoopman3 wrote:

Quarterstaff:
This item is incredibly useful, even with the intention of simply buying it arbitrarily. The damage is significant to most heroes that usually pick this item up ( Storm Spirit for example), and the attack speed even more so (I just love when you can get off those thousand hits in two seconds, don't you?). However, once again, I would argue that this is never a standalone purchase, like Chainmail has the potential to be. It's price makes it this way.

On paper it's pretty nice for the cost, but again you'd never really buy it without another item in mind. This is kinda the issue with this whole discussion - most "basic" items only make sense when you consider what you can make them into. If you can make a Bracer directly from the main shop, is it really that different from an Ogre Axe aside from the price and what you can make it into?
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by kkoopman3 » January 5, 2015 2:59pm | Report
Thank you for imparting your infinite wisdom Sando :)

kkoopman3

Remarkable (28)
Steam: Ce.W1sd0m
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by R-Conqueror » January 5, 2015 5:46pm | Report
Of the items you posted, I'd have to say the Quarterstaff. I think it provides the most calculable return and is a useful inventory slot that can be built into 3 different important items. i.e: Grab it on Razor if you want to eventually build a Refresher... or Butterfly.
I got to Notable, Thanks!
Check out my carrying guide: http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/guide/alchemist-shrugged-a-carrying-guide-8022

R-Conqueror

Remarkable (24)
Steam: R-Conqueror
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » January 5, 2015 8:22pm | Report
What about the following:\

Orb of Venom

GIMME YOUR BOOTS

Boots of Speed

Here, have them!

Ring of Protection

Some Jakiros get 2 of these...

Smoke of Deceit

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyphoid returns » January 5, 2015 10:15pm | Report
DAMNIT I WAS THE FIRST ONE TO SAY SMOKE AND QUELLING BLADE!!!
YOU ALL EDITED YOUR PREVIOUS POSTS!!!!

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Go On, Feed Me.

Kyphoid returns

Remarkable (42)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » January 5, 2015 11:24pm | Report
I think Quarterstaff is complete garbage and there is no point whatsoever to even hold this in your inventory. Oblivion Staff is one of these items you assemble starting from cheapest components because more expensive ones are useless. The only point of buying Quarterstaff is either to finally get your item, or when you are not sure that in some close point of the game you'll have 2.5k gold to finish Orchid at once so you need these Oblivion Staff stats.

Same goes for Javelin. I would vote for Chainmail because it can be built into many useful items later so you can just pick it up for armor without any particular item in your mind at that moment.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved