Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Analyse and Yell at me...

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Analyse and Yell at me... 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » April 4, 2015 11:14pm | Report
Finally, [NA] got our **** together and had a 5-man captains game.

We ****in won boyz

Now I know the enemy team didn't draft or play particularly well, given that Othello was somewhat dragging down the MMR since he has only recently started playing again, but that's not really the concern.

How was *our* draft?

Concerns I had:

1) I don't think it was a good Luna pick. I only picked her cause we needed a ranged carry with some push power. I'm certain there were better picks, even maybe a Terrorblade. Yes, against Undying.

2) How do you properly disengage when a Silencer ults? We suffered a lot from that pick, actually.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by armc3j » April 5, 2015 2:28am | Report
I personally like picking off counter initiators such as Silencer before team fights, but that won't always happen. The main thing is to make him waste his ultimat SOMEHOW., either by disengaging or faking an initiation and scaring him.
when a thing is done, it's done. Don't look back.

armc3j

Notable (3)
Steam: .Elusive
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by masaaki14 » April 5, 2015 5:02am | Report
Manta is awesome for senarios like that, and hey, you have a natural manta carrier in your team, so there's no excuse

masaaki14

Notable (11)
Steam: masaaki14
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » April 5, 2015 1:45pm | Report
*Notices thread title says "Yell at me" -> SALTMODE ACTIVATED!!!*
Terathiel wrote:

1) I don't think it was a good Luna pick. I only picked her cause we needed a ranged carry with some push power. I'm certain there were better picks, even maybe a Terrorblade. Yes, against Undying.

Personally, I would say the Ember Spirit pick was more questionable, I just don't see him doing well against a competent Lina in Lane. If he has a bad Lane, you need to create space for him to recover, and he isn't the best hero to have to play from behind. 8{(

Luna was an okay pick, since from their lineup, you could see they were most likely going to run Dual Lanes against you. Personally, I would have gone with a Hero that can manfight a bit more in Lane before lvl6, although most of the "better" options were banned out (Troll, Jugg, Slark).

If you're looking for an alternative to Luna, then I'd suggest either Viper or Anti-Mage. Their Offlane would see hell against either of these picks, and at this point, you already have the advantage in the Late Game with Ember, Tide and Omni, so you don'tneed to worry about Viper falling off. You already have the edge Late Game in fights so long as you can deal with the Silencer, and Ember (and Andy) can carefully Rat them, using Manta Style/ Black King Bar + Flame Remnant(/ Blink) to get out of sticky Situations. The other benefit to Viper and Anti-Mage is that they don't care about Global Silence too much...but then again, neither does Luna.
Terathiel wrote:

2) How do you properly disengage when a Silencer ults? We suffered a lot from that pick, actually.

Blink Dagger and Force Staff are the only reliable ways to >Get Back once the Silence comes out, and Blink Dagger no longer works once Silencer get Aghanim's Scepter. You either have to Ban the Silencer or find a way to deal with Global Silence. Manta Style + Black King Bar on Luna and Ember Spirit works well, you just have to save your Black King Bar on Ember until a Silence is popped in fights. Omniknight is pretty much screwed, unless he manages to Farm a BKB. Lion should either hang way back or get in and do his thang before the fight starts. Tidehunter has Kraken Shell. <}3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » April 6, 2015 4:30am | Report

here ya boyz

its a bit negative so IM SORRY hahaha

but hopefully it helps

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » April 6, 2015 5:39am | Report
1. Luna in the current meta is trashcan. It's not a good pick unless in certain circumstances.
2. You don't. You BKB and fight into it.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » April 6, 2015 6:50am | Report
Terathiel wrote:

You don't disengage, you dispel it.
But a Euls/diffusal/manta/BLB and pop it once he ults.

And Luna is maybe not "trendy" but she's always been a legit hero. Not being overpowered and being trash are two very different things :)
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » April 6, 2015 1:44pm | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

You don't disengage, you dispel it.
But a Euls/diffusal/manta/BLB and pop it once he ults.

And Luna is maybe not "trendy" but she's always been a legit hero. Not being overpowered and being trash are two very different things :)

"Not being overpowered"?

She is melee hero that can't use Poor Man's Shield, Quelling Blade, Diffusal Balde and Skull Basher.
She has absolutely no starting STR and less than 2 growth.
She has no way to protect from enemy rwith Black King Bar until she has one and at least Manta Style herself, and no way to deal [reliable] damage until +1 slot more.
She is easily ganked and easily rekt in lane most of the time unless it's 1 vs 1 lane or a trilane.
Her ulti is easily countered and that's what she relies on until she got some serious items.
She can't chase for **** unless she gets Eye of Sakdi or Blink Dagger.
Deathball is dead, and in other cases you have much better carries for the job.

Can probably recall other problems about her if I think a bit more, this is just. what I've came up on spot.

Can't disagree with your statemnet tho, not being OP and trash are diferent things, but Luna is somewhere near Alchemist level of "not being OP" :)

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » April 6, 2015 2:33pm | Report
how dare you people, luna has the potential to be very strong, but sure you need to draft around her a bit.
especially together with chen she is the ****.

both my ingame experience and her ridiculous ~63% winrate since 1 march in professional games supports that.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » April 6, 2015 2:38pm | Report
Dimonychan wrote:

Can't disagree with your statemnet tho, not being OP and trash are diferent things, but Luna is somewhere near Alchemist level of "not being OP" :)

Pls, no offensive comments. 8{3

Seriously, though, Luna is far from ueless. Yes, she's outclassed in most respects by Anti-Mage, but she's better at Manfighting in any kind of Lane due to having a 6 second Cooldown, 800 Range Nuke.

You can keep your distance against most Carries as an Offlaner 1 vs 1, but once Luna gets some levels, staying in Lane against her without some serious regen becomes impossible (not quite as good as Troll or Sniper...but then again...who is in this patch?).

She definitely needs a small Buff to bring her back to Competetive level though.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved