Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

The Mind Thief

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Hero & Item Ideas » The Mind Thief 18 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by frogger_29 » May 14, 2013 7:39pm | Report
dynasty987 wrote:

I think making the ult channeled, and hence interruptable would make it less silly, imo.

His ult really isn't ridiculously powerful since there are very few things you can do within 2/3/4 sec., it just has the potential too be game-breaking but still not OP. It also relies on the enemy team's composition in the same way Rubick relies on his opponent's spells for his Spell Steal. It also requires a bit of micromanagement to use it to its maximum potential.

I have a few questions though, like:

- What if you decide to control Phantom Lancer and he generates Juxtapose illusions. What happens if the duration is over? Will you be able to keep the Juxtapose illusions and be able to create your own army of Phantom Lancers, or will they die?

- What if you decide to control Visage or any other hero that summons creeps, will you be able to control their summons as well? And in Visage's case, what will happen if you summon Revenants again? Will you be able to control them as well? If so, then it would be awesome!

- What if that bastard Rubick luckily Spell Steals your ult, then he chooses to control you, then he uses your ult to control someone else. Will that Rubick be able to control 2 other heroes at once?

- What if you decide to control an enemy hero who has a channeling spell that can be channeled longer than the control duration like Keeper of the Light and Witch Doctor, what will happen to the channeled spell, will it be interrupted or will it still continue?

I still have more questions in my head but just these questions for now. And I'm sorry if it feels like taking a final exam. :)

frogger_29

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Crazy Tom » May 15, 2013 7:35am | Report
frogger_29 wrote:

His ult really isn't ridiculously powerful since there are very few things you can do within 2/3/4 sec., it just has the potential too be game-breaking but still not OP. It also relies on the enemy team's composition in the same way Rubick relies on his opponent's spells for his Spell Steal. It also requires a bit of micromanagement to use it to its maximum potential.

I have a few questions though, like:

- What if you decide to control Phantom Lancer and he generates Juxtapose illusions. What happens if the duration is over? Will you be able to keep the Juxtapose illusions and be able to create your own army of Phantom Lancers, or will they die?

- What if you decide to control Visage or any other hero that summons creeps, will you be able to control their summons as well? And in Visage's case, what will happen if you summon Revenants again? Will you be able to control them as well? If so, then it would be awesome!

- What if that bastard Rubick luckily Spell Steals your ult, then he chooses to control you, then he uses your ult to control someone else. Will that Rubick be able to control 2 other heroes at once?

- What if you decide to control an enemy hero who has a channeling spell that can be channeled longer than the control duration like Keeper of the Light and Witch Doctor, what will happen to the channeled spell, will it be interrupted or will it still continue?

I still have more questions in my head but just these questions for now. And I'm sorry if it feels like taking a final exam. :)

Addressing the channeling thing:
I actually considered that, but like frogger29 said, I don't think it really needs to be channeled. It's basically a Helm of the Dominator that can be used on heroes for a few seconds. The cooldown is immense, which I think should balance it out.

Fun fact, my original plan was to have it be more like Lifestealer's Infest, where she would jump into the target and control it like that. I figured that was probably too good. :p

Now, the questions:
PL's illusions created during your control would stay under your control until their time runs out.
Any summons used during control will remain under mind thief's control after the duration expires, similar to PL's illusions.
If Rubick steals the mind control, then controls you to control someone else, Rubick will be able to control all three heroes until his stolen mind control's duration wears off, at which point he will lose control of only Mind Thief; he still controls the third hero until the duration on the second mind control also wears off.
Using a controlled hero's channel spell continues on after the duration of mind control expires; for example, witch doctor's channel will continue to attack his own teammates even after witch doctor regains control of himself, but WD can break the channel and end the spell whenever he wants after he controls himself again. Spells like KotL's channel will continue to channel after the duration ends, and when they fire will damage KotL's allies. Again, though, he could break the channel if he wanted as soon as he regains control of himself.

I hope tha answers all of your questions. Feel free to post more, I will get back to the other posts when I can.

Crazy Tom

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by manic_e » May 15, 2013 6:03pm | Report
The ultimate hero to troll the other team! I love it!

If you do think that Rob Sanity is a problem perhaps you could have them attack themselves. that way it's just an active blade mail.

Personally I like it the way it is, great hilarity would ensue.

manic_e

Notable (6)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by frogger_29 » May 15, 2013 6:55pm | Report
Crazy Tom wrote:

Addressing the channeling thing:
I actually considered that, but like frogger29 said, I don't think it really needs to be channeled. It's basically a Helm of the Dominator that can be used on heroes for a few seconds. The cooldown is immense, which I think should balance it out.

Fun fact, my original plan was to have it be more like Lifestealer's Infest, where she would jump into the target and control it like that. I figured that was probably too good. :p

Now, the questions:
PL's illusions created during your control would stay under your control until their time runs out.
Any summons used during control will remain under mind thief's control after the duration expires, similar to PL's illusions.
If Rubick steals the mind control, then controls you to control someone else, Rubick will be able to control all three heroes until his stolen mind control's duration wears off, at which point he will lose control of only Mind Thief; he still controls the third hero until the duration on the second mind control also wears off.
Using a controlled hero's channel spell continues on after the duration of mind control expires; for example, witch doctor's channel will continue to attack his own teammates even after witch doctor regains control of himself, but WD can break the channel and end the spell whenever he wants after he controls himself again. Spells like KotL's channel will continue to channel after the duration ends, and when they fire will damage KotL's allies. Again, though, he could break the channel if he wanted as soon as he regains control of himself.

I hope tha answers all of your questions. Feel free to post more, I will get back to the other posts when I can.

Well that answers my questions. But I still have more questions, like:
- Can the controlled enemy hero Level Up gain gold or experience while controlled?

- What if you decide to control Venomancer and you use Poison Nova, will it still continue to deal damage even after the control duration?

- Will all auras coming from the controlled enemy hero benefit your team for the control duration?

- What will happen if the controlled enemy hero dies, but has Aegis of the Immortal, will the enemy hero resurrect under your control or not? (Same with Skeleton King's Reincarnation)

- Will you be able to place Observer Wards or Sentry Wards from the controlled enemy hero's inventory? If so, will it provide vision for your team or the enemy team?

- Will you be able to use the controlled enemy hero's Pipe of Insight or Mekansm? If so, will it benefit your team or the enemy team?

- Will you be able to use the controlled enemy hero's Boots of Travel? If so, what building will it be able to teleport to? Teleporting it to your own fountain and forcing them to stay there seem too powerful for me.

- Will you be able to use the controlled enemy hero's Hand of Midas? If so, where will the bonus gold and experience go?

That's all for now.

frogger_29

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by commandojimbob » May 16, 2013 1:16am | Report
Firstly - I am glad you liked my idea and used it with your hero !!!

Pondering the ultimate further, whilst I like the concept, I am not 100% sure that it will work well - firstly it requires Eden to be right in the heart of a team fight to cast it (300 cast range) it would require exceptional mico skills to change over and use that hero for what is a short period of time.

On her theme here is an idea/concept to consider:

R - Mind Wipe (Active)(Single Target, Channel)

At her most focused, the mind thief is able to scrub large amounts of learned skills and knowledge from her targets mind, rendering them mere average mortals for her to be left unassailable. Only victims with a strong enough mind will recover from the attack over time, though their mind is never quite the same again!

Cast Range: 600
Channel time: 2 secs
Skill level reduction: 1 / 2 / 3
Duration: 5 / 6 / 7
Permanent Intelligence lost: 2 / 4 / 6
Mana Cost: 150 / 200 / 250
Cooldown: 180 / 150 / 120

Permanent Intelligence lost stacks through out the game and only triggers if Eden's targets have a lower intelligence than she does and so any target with greater intelligence will not be affected by the loss of intelligence (synergising with Rob Sanity). Whilst channelling, the target Hero will be stunned - if interupted - the target hero is also released.

Skills also include any items that can be leveled (such as Dagon or Necronomicon, as they are learnt). Skills can be reduced to having no levels and as such unusable through out the duration.

commandojimbob

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Crazy Tom » May 21, 2013 4:44pm | Report
Sorry it's taken so long, I had some problems appear at work that I couldn't ignore.

Anyway;

manic_e wrote:

The ultimate hero to troll the other team! I love it!

If you do think that Rob Sanity is a problem perhaps you could have them attack themselves. that way it's just an active blade mail.

Personally I like it the way it is, great hilarity would ensue.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I do agree, it would be hilarious to keep it as is.

frogger_29 wrote:

Well that answers my questions. But I still have more questions, like:
- Can the controlled enemy hero Level Up gain gold or experience while controlled?

- What if you decide to control Venomancer and you use Poison Nova, will it still continue to deal damage even after the control duration?

- Will all auras coming from the controlled enemy hero benefit your team for the control duration?

- What will happen if the controlled enemy hero dies, but has Aegis of the Immortal, will the enemy hero resurrect under your control or not? (Same with Skeleton King's Reincarnation)

- Will you be able to place Observer Wards or Sentry Wards from the controlled enemy hero's inventory? If so, will it provide vision for your team or the enemy team?

- Will you be able to use the controlled enemy hero's Pipe of Insight or Mekansm? If so, will it benefit your team or the enemy team?

- Will you be able to use the controlled enemy hero's Boots of Travel? If so, what building will it be able to teleport to? Teleporting it to your own fountain and forcing them to stay there seem too powerful for me.

- Will you be able to use the controlled enemy hero's Hand of Midas? If so, where will the bonus gold and experience go?

That's all for now.

The enemy hero does still gain experience and gold while under the control, but gains it as a member of their own original team.

Poison Nova will still continue to deal DoT to the affected heroes even after the mind control duration expires.

Auras coming from the controlled hero, such as from Assault Cuirass, will change to benefit your team and detract from the enemy team for the duration of the control.

A controlled hero that dies while having the Aegis of the Immortal will not respawn under your control. For our purposes, death immediately ends the control duration.

Placing a ward from the hero's inventory would be considered using an expendable item, and therefore would not work.

Using a Pipe of Insight or Mekansm that belongs to the controlled hero will benefit your team, and you can do it.

You can activate a controlled hero's Boots of Travel, but the only legal buildings or creeps that you can teleport to are still the normal creeps. Controlling a hero from the Dire team and using their BoT would only let them TP to Dire team buildings or creeps.

You can use a controlled hero's Hand of Midas; an example of how that would work would be best.
Say Mind Thief, on the Radiant side, controls Faceless Void from the Dire side. Mind Thief uses Void's Hand of Midas, which for the duration of the control can only target Dire side creeps. Using it in this situation will give all the bonus XP and gold to Void and count it as a creep deny for Void. The Radiant side will get reduced XP as appropriate for that deny.

I love the questions! You have obviously given this a lot of thought, and I greatly appreciate that. Thank you!

Firstly - I am glad you liked my idea and used it with your hero !!!

Pondering the ultimate further, whilst I like the concept, I am not 100% sure that it will work well - firstly it requires Eden to be right in the heart of a team fight to cast it (300 cast range) it would require exceptional mico skills to change over and use that hero for what is a short period of time.

On her theme here is an idea/concept to consider:

R - Mind Wipe (Active)(Single Target, Channel)

At her most focused, the mind thief is able to scrub large amounts of learned skills and knowledge from her targets mind, rendering them mere average mortals for her to be left unassailable. Only victims with a strong enough mind will recover from the attack over time, though their mind is never quite the same again!

Cast Range: 600
Channel time: 2 secs
Skill level reduction: 1 / 2 / 3
Duration: 5 / 6 / 7
Permanent Intelligence lost: 2 / 4 / 6
Mana Cost: 150 / 200 / 250
Cooldown: 180 / 150 / 120

Permanent Intelligence lost stacks through out the game and only triggers if Eden's targets have a lower intelligence than she does and so any target with greater intelligence will not be affected by the loss of intelligence (synergising with Rob Sanity). Whilst channelling, the target Hero will be stunned - if interupted - the target hero is also released.

Skills also include any items that can be leveled (such as Dagon or Necronomicon, as they are learnt). Skills can be reduced to having no levels and as such unusable through out the duration.

Yeah, her current ult does require some decent micro to be effective. I don't think it's too much of a problem except for players that don't have micro experience, and that can be remedied with practice.

However, I do like this suggestion for her ult. I don't think I'll change what she has currently, but this is a pretty darn cool skill as well and if you don't mind I might actually adopt this with another potential hero idea I had. It would be modified a bit, of course, but I really like the idea of reducing their skill levels for a short duration.

Crazy Tom

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by frogger_29 » May 21, 2013 11:39pm | Report
Alright, time for more questions!

- What if the controlled hero is killed by the enemy team, will the killed controlled hero lose gold? Will the enemy team gain gold and experience from the kill?

- Are you able to drop items from the controlled hero?

- What if you decide to control Brewmaster, will you be able to use his ultimate, Primal Split? If so, what will happen to the spirits after the control duration?

- What if you decide to control Batrider, then you activate his ability Firefly. Will the flames continue to damage enemy units even after the duration?

- What if you decide to control Broodmother, then you use Spawn Spiderlings. What will happen to the spawned Spiderlings after the control duration? Same question with Warlock's Chaotic Offering.

- What if you decide to control Chaos Knight, then you use Phantasm. What will happen to the illusions after the control duration? Same question with Naga Siren's Mirror Image and Manta Style.

- What if you decide to control Dazzle and you used Weave. What will the happen to the armor bonuses/reductions after the control duration? What if Weave was already used and is still in effect by the enemy, what will happen to the armor bonuses/reductions?

- What if you decide to control Invoker. Will you be able to use all his spells? If yes, then it would be awesome!

I guess that's all for now. But don't worry, there's still more...

frogger_29

Notable (1)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Crazy Tom » May 26, 2013 10:47am | Report
frogger_29 wrote:

Alright, time for more questions!

- What if the controlled hero is killed by the enemy team, will the killed controlled hero lose gold? Will the enemy team gain gold and experience from the kill?

- Are you able to drop items from the controlled hero?

- What if you decide to control Brewmaster, will you be able to use his ultimate, Primal Split? If so, what will happen to the spirits after the control duration?

- What if you decide to control Batrider, then you activate his ability Firefly. Will the flames continue to damage enemy units even after the duration?

- What if you decide to control Broodmother, then you use Spawn Spiderlings. What will happen to the spawned Spiderlings after the control duration? Same question with Warlock's Chaotic Offering.

- What if you decide to control Chaos Knight, then you use Phantasm. What will happen to the illusions after the control duration? Same question with Naga Siren's Mirror Image and Manta Style.

- What if you decide to control Dazzle and you used Weave. What will the happen to the armor bonuses/reductions after the control duration? What if Weave was already used and is still in effect by the enemy, what will happen to the armor bonuses/reductions?

- What if you decide to control Invoker. Will you be able to use all his spells? If yes, then it would be awesome!

I guess that's all for now. But don't worry, there's still more...

A controlled hero that dies will still lose gold as normal, and will still give the gold to his opponents' team. Ex: An Axe playing on the Dire team is mind controlled and then dies. He loses gold like a normal death, and the Radiant team gains gold like a normal death.

You cannot drop items from the controlled hero.

If you were to control Brewmaster, you could use his ult. After the duration of mind control ends, Brew will regain control of all surviving pandas, since they are all technically him. Conversely, if you mind control one panda during his ult, you will mind control all of them, just like if you had mind controlled Meepo.

A controlled Batrider that uses Firefly will continue to spawn fire that hurts his own team for the duration of firefly. Ex: a Dire side Batrider is controlled, his firefly will damage Dire team heroes even after the mind control duration expires. Coincidentally, this means it could also damage him if he crosses the fire after firefly ends.

The spiderlings and golems for Brood and Warlock respectively will remain under your control even after the mind control ends.

The illusions from Phantasm will remain under your control, as will the illusions from Naga's ability and from Manta.

If you control Dazzle and use Weave, it will continue its effects unchanged after the mind control ends. Ex: A Dire side Dazzle is controlled and uses Weave. It will debuff the Dire side and buff the Radiant side for the entire duration of Weave, even if mind control's duration expires before then.
If Weave is used and then Dazzle is mind controlled, Weave will continue its effects unchanged. Ex: A Dire side Dazzle uses Weave, then is mind controlled. Weave will debuff the Radiant and buff the Dire for the entire duration of Weave, despite the mind control of Dazzle.

If you control an Invoker, you can use as many spells as you want and have time to invoke. So yes, yes you can use all his spells if you are fast enough. :)

Crazy Tom

Notable (3)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved