Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

I'm done with guides here

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Support » I'm done with guides here 46 posts - page 3 of 5
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by kumquat » December 21, 2011 5:33am | Report
I agree with Matt on the fact that we simply need more people. Constructive members always outweigh trolls. One issue is that the lack of constructive criticism can steer new members away. Not to point fingers or anything, but a lot of the people who are complaining about random downvotes could be doing a bit more to make the guide system seem constructive. I know it's a bit of work, but going to every guide and giving your honest opinion goes a long way in ensuring the validity of the sight. If 10 people all comment on a guide and give honest opinions 1-2 down votes won't make much difference.

This of course, won't help multiple accounts sabotaging people, but an easy way to circumvent this is to make it so that you need a minimum of 25 posts (or so) in order to vote on a guide. This would fix people making new accounts or having their friends make new accounts in order to boost their guide or down vote other ones.

I think the best idea is just to try to be as un-trollish as possible and give constructive criticism on every guide despite your personal feelings for said player. If we do this enough, we will drown out the trolls much sooner than we would if we simply waited for people to show up.

kumquat

Notable (15)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Matt » December 21, 2011 6:20am | Report
Yes, for sure. Reviewing guides, posting suggestions and casting votes is a healthy way to help grow the site!

You can't create multiple accounts for the sake of voting multiple times due to IP restrictions. Each IP address can only vote once per guide, doesn't matter what account you're logged in as. We record every IP address that users connect from so that we can easily track down cheaters.

It may still seem like a good idea to restrict voting to people that have X comments or have been registered for X days, however that has a few problems.

For one thing, people that want to troll will put in the effort. They will set up accounts, spam or wait it out, then carry on. Honest voters are less likely to do this.

It may surprise you to hear that many users register just to up vote a guide that really helped them. We would be scaring away and frustrating these new users.

We would also be further decreasing the amount of voting going on, positive and negative.

So overall I don't think it's a wise thing to do :(

Matt
<Administrator>

Remarkable (23)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sarcy » December 21, 2011 7:25am | Report
Yeah looks like waiting it out is our only option if we don't want to stun the growth of the community.

Sarcy

Remarkable (27)
Steam: Sarcyn_
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Garona#165917 » December 25, 2011 9:13am | Report
Just use the solomid voting system? People can downvote + upvcote but guides with good content get approved by mods so they are marked as featured?

Garona#165917

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by NinjaMovesPro » February 18, 2012 1:02am | Report
Let's just accept that no mercy fact, fellow guide writers. Besides, there's no justice in the world.

OP, i suggest to try writing general guides. On my review on PlayDotA's top guides, only 3 hero guides got a minimum percentage of 9/10 while miscellaneous guides have about 10. So chill up, don't look at it as a problem, but look at it as a challenge! (=

NinjaMovesPro

Notable (7)
Steam: N/A
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ixFusion » February 18, 2012 1:32am | Report
Bump a post after two months? Sigh. Pay attention. I would like to say though after reading this.

Who cares.

Lyralei, the Windrunner

ixFusion

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by BoredomIsFun » February 18, 2012 6:18am | Report
Quoted:

I have to agree with Atlas here, whilst it sucks if it is happening just so people can win a competition the community isn't big enough at the moment to worry about the voting system. Once the game launches we can expect DotaFire to become as big as MobaFire is for LoL. With guides being thrown up every hour and a big userbase to vote on them and cast their opinions as to which is best.

So for the moment be patient and tolerant, whilst it sucks if your guide is being downvoted for no good reason the only thing you can do about it is try to improve the guide so more people will counter the downvotes with upvotes.

I disagree. Implement rules now! It's like saying,
[**** Empty Place] <--- "Don't worry it'll get more populated soon."
Why would people want to populate such a place with low quality?
I say implement a working ******* system now, not this "the size of the community is too low for it to matter". Quality over quantity if you want something to become big.

BoredomIsFun

Notable (12)
Steam: BoredomIsFun
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Whated » February 18, 2012 8:57am | Report
I don't know how the system works here in dotafire/mobafire. But it is ****ing stupid. I did a guide in mobafire long time ago and noticed. -1 to a guide is more than +1 in the other side. That makes no ****ing sense to anyone at all? You have your guide at 80% where all the "good" guides are. Then you get one -1. You drop to like 70% then you get +2 and your guide doesn't even grow back to 80%. I know it's something gay with maths but I really don't like how it works.
If the day should ever come when we must go, if some day we are compelled to leave the scene of history, we will slam the door so hard that the universe will shake and mankind will stand back in stupefaction.
Joseph Goebbels

Whated

Notable (12)
Steam: Whated
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » February 18, 2012 9:22am | Report
Whated wrote:

I don't know how the system works here in dotafire/mobafire. But it is ****ing stupid. I did a guide in mobafire long time ago and noticed. -1 to a guide is more than +1 in the other side. That makes no ****ing sense to anyone at all? You have your guide at 80% where all the "good" guides are. Then you get one -1. You drop to like 70% then you get +2 and your guide doesn't even grow back to 80%. I know it's something gay with maths but I really don't like how it works.

If you have a LOT of +1's then a -1 won't hurt you that much, if you have a few +1's then a single -1 will hurt you more. It goes by percent, though I'm not sure how it works initially because a single +1 with no other votes leaves you at like +57%, where really it should leave you at 100% since it was the only vote (his/her 1 vote = 100% of your total votes).

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ixFusion » February 18, 2012 12:42pm | Report
Then again - You should not care about +1's or -1's we are forgetting that guides are meant to help people. If they didn't help people then those people may choose to down vote. So don't get your panties in a knot because you can't cater to everyone. Accept the fact you play a hero a different way and just leave it alone.

Lyralei, the Windrunner

ixFusion

Notable (8)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved