Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

I'm done with guides here

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Support » I'm done with guides here 46 posts - page 2 of 5
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by HamSandwich » December 17, 2011 1:53pm | Report
I downvoted every one of your guides.

HamSandwich

Remarkable (34)
Steam: HamSandwich
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Leech » December 17, 2011 1:55pm | Report
I saw that, thanks.

Leech

Remarkable (25)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by HamSandwich » December 19, 2011 12:45am | Report
No problem, I'm just here to be a troll. I downvote everyone equally though.

HamSandwich

Remarkable (34)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by LuvLes » December 19, 2011 5:02am | Report
HamSandwich wrote:

I downvoted every one of your guides.

You actually take the two seconds required to throw up a one liner of why.

LuvLes

Remarkable (32)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Matt » December 21, 2011 12:33am | Report
The issue is that there are just not enough users hanging around the site yet, so there isn't enough vote volume going around. Most guides have only 1 or 2 votes, many have none, it's impossible to predict the potential score with only a couple votes, which is what the formula is trying to do. Restricting votes to a smaller group isn't going to help, we need more votes all around.

There are a lot of things on the site that are going to be awkward while things grow. We're open to suggestions but the solution is really just "get more people on here", which is hard when the game isn't even out yet :(

We could just hide the scores and use them only for ranking in the background... Until things pick up. We find though, that authors would rather see their score. Thoughts? Other ideas?

Don't forget to use the report system if you suspect someone is cheating or trolling, we will investigate.

Matt
<Administrator>

Remarkable (23)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by HamSandwich » December 21, 2011 1:41am | Report
Quoted:

You actually take the two seconds required to throw up a one liner of why.

I am actually yet to use the voting system.

HamSandwich

Remarkable (34)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sarcy » December 21, 2011 1:43am | Report
Cheers for the info Matt

Sarcy

Remarkable (27)
Steam: Sarcyn_
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Matt » December 21, 2011 1:54am | Report
Also just want to mention that we have over two years of IP address bans and proxy bans (as well as spam blacklists and such) from MOBAFire that are also on DOTAFire :)

Matt
<Administrator>

Remarkable (23)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sarcy » December 21, 2011 4:01am | Report
Yay for less trolls from the get go!

Sarcy

Remarkable (27)
Steam: Sarcyn_
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Matt » December 21, 2011 4:24am | Report
Regarding the suggestion of mandatory comments when voting...

We tried this on MOBAFire. It basically resulted in rioting. Authors began retaliating against negative voters, making threats, blackmailing, harassing and stalking them until they changed or deleted their vote.

The comments are generally things like "asdfasdfsadf" or "nice guide +1" or "guide not good -1". Why? Because these users came to vote, not to comment. If they wanted to comment they'd have done that. If you try to force someone to comment that doesn't want to, you're just gonna get garbage. If they wanted to comment they would anyways.

Many users made alt accounts in order to cast negative votes safely. Other voters were afraid to vote negatively due to aggression and retaliation from authors. The result was that guide scores became artificially inflated and it became entirely too easy to get perfect or near perfect scores.

It does occasionally remind people to comment that might not have otherwise but the harm massively outweighed the benefits.

TLDR: It doesn't work. Sorry to sound so negative about the idea but you wouldn't believe what we went through over this concept on MOBAFire and how quickly people forget how it went down.

We're open to other suggestions though, especially temporary solutions until the site picks up. Just not mandatory comments.

Matt
<Administrator>

Remarkable (23)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved