Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

I'm done with guides here

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Support » I'm done with guides here 46 posts - page 4 of 5
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Atlas » February 18, 2012 1:09pm | Report
Quoted:

Then again - You should not care about +1's or -1's we are forgetting that guides are meant to help people. If they didn't help people then those people may choose to down vote. So don't get your panties in a knot because you can't cater to everyone. Accept the fact you play a hero a different way and just leave it alone.

There are trolls and people that downvote without reason, Fusion. This has been discussed before, whether it be because they want their guide above their or what have you, people still downvote just to hurt people's ratings.

Atlas
<Retired Admin>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (117)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ixFusion » February 18, 2012 1:58pm | Report
My point being. Stop giving two ***** about your rating and grow up. You must understand this is the internet and they're are walls everywhere to block people from succeeding

Lyralei, the Windrunner

ixFusion

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Whated » February 18, 2012 3:18pm | Report
Who the **** are you telling to grow up???

What would you think about valuable guide not being read because it got trolled by ultimate whated downvote over 9000 proxy **** ****-clan doing -9000 to all top guides. Wouldn't it be shame if valuable guides are not read. You grown up wise dude?? Remove the voting system or my clan will show up.
If the day should ever come when we must go, if some day we are compelled to leave the scene of history, we will slam the door so hard that the universe will shake and mankind will stand back in stupefaction.
Joseph Goebbels

Whated

Notable (12)
Steam: Whated
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Leech » February 19, 2012 8:39pm | Report
Fusion the fact that you continue to post the same message but more unintelligent every time shows that you actually do care. If you didn't really care you wouldn't be posting in this thread at all.

Leech

Remarkable (25)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xiron » February 28, 2012 11:08am | Report
Dude it really sounds hard but thats how life goes. You gotta deal with it. I mean even if they troll vote or something - you cant just say every donwvote is a trollvote. Maybe they just think your guide isnt that cool as you think it is?
But I know that feeling :)

And it sucks.

Xiron

Notable (4)
Steam: kindz_pd_
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Freezin » March 25, 2012 10:39am | Report
Why not remove the downvoting completely and just give users the ability to only upvote a guide? And base the ranking system on how many upvotes a guide got. Sure, you'll probably still have people making dummy accounts to get their guide up there, but atleast you wont have the harassing that currently goes on like with the GamingWithDean Ursa Guide.

I mean, normally i wouldn't even bother creating an account on a website because i'm the kind of guy that just likes to read the guides and keep my opinion for myself. But seeing what went on in the comment section and the abusive behaviour with the voting system in that Ursa Guide, just made me a very sad panda and i felt the need to express myself.

In my opinion, the people who invest the time in creating these guides need to be protected. The users should have the right to share their opinion (positive/negative) in the comment section, but not to completely demoralize by putting negative comments all over these guides AND getting their rating down at the same time.

My 2 cents,
Thank You.

Freezin

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SargentCannibal » March 25, 2012 2:46pm | Report
Why are contests even going on this early into it? The game's still in BETA for christsake. I generally upvote a well thought out build or guide even if it doesn't particularly work for me. Just because it doesn't fit my play style doesn't make it wrong.

Also, this guy.

eGam wrote:

subtitles, im just saying if i didnt have to read them, and they are helpful no need to boast myself but i already know every build for any hero so i am quick to judge what i think is stupid

Lolwut? You might wanna get your own **** of of your mouth. I hear people choke to death like that fairly often.

Yup, that's definitely a shotgun.

SargentCannibal

Notable (1)
Steam: ALobotomizedPig
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Matt » March 26, 2012 5:49am | Report
@Freezin, because if you have only up votes then there is no way to rank guides next to each other. The older guides will always be #1 and new guides will have absolutely no chance of ever catching up.

We have a number of restrictions and protections in place to prevent people from abusing the voting system, especially for their own guides. Including dummy accounts. All of these defenses were put in place on MOBAFire due to our experiences over its life time.

The site is as much here for the authors as it is for the readers. We need to balance this. If we cater to the authors and block down votes and negative comments, we are devaluing the site for readers and punishing them. If we let readers run free with no protections on voting then spammers will ruin everything. So we seek a balance between the two.

This isn't a system we cobbled together one night and then walked away. We have over two years of evolution in the underlying system brought here from MOBAFire. If you want to learn more about the history of this system and the various things we've tried over time, which were kept and which were tossed, you can read through the support forums on MOBAFire, it's all there.

@ALobotomizedPig, what do you mean? The contest we ran before Christmas? I'm not following you. Or do you mean competition in general amongst authors?

Matt
<Administrator>

Remarkable (23)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Matt » March 26, 2012 5:52am | Report
Also note that, we have a very advanced reporting and tracking system in place. If you see someone abusing the comment system such as to attack authors (we do not permit personal attacks on our sites - you are welcome to disagree but not in the form of a personal attack) or attempts at abusing the voting system, click the report button and provide all the details.

Atlas reviews every report that comes in and he has a direct line to myself and virago if he needs to escalate an issue. You can also use the feedback page or PM system to get in touch with one of us, but the report system is by far the best way as it builds up a history on that user (our system tracks and stores every report for each user).

Matt
<Administrator>

Remarkable (23)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by D3n1eD » July 2, 2012 3:31pm | Report
People just downvote to make their guide go higher up. Ex. My Luna and Drow guides. Not to brag,but I know guides make sense,and if nothing else,not so bad to be downvoted., and it is a reward to me when someone upvotes,because it tells me tat my time was not wasted writing it. And then some *** comes who has only build in his so called guide,downvotes mine to make his look better. I had lots of guides in my mind,but if people just hate for no reason I do't think I'll ever post anything here. I just can't get any motivation since my "reward" for my effort is a fownvote.
Electric!

D3n1eD

Notable (5)
Steam: D3n1eD

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved