Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Worst item per cost...

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Worst item per cost... 41 posts - page 4 of 5
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » September 3, 2014 7:23am | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

It's not! The only time Spectre was picked in TI4 it was a Drum/diffusal build.
Just because something is in the suggested items doesn't mean it's good. Shadow Blade advised as core on Sniper and Drow Ranger is a typical example of horrible advice.

A good in-game guide told me to get,poor mans, but vanguard actually win me some figts.
And how is SBmbad on sniper/drow?
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » September 3, 2014 7:39am | Report
Unscathed wrote:

And how is SBmbad on sniper/drow?

Making Shadow Blade on heroes who need an escape is a complete waste of gold. There is only one escape item in the game and it's Force Staff. If you make shadow blade because you need an escape then they'll just dust you and kill you.

Advising SB on Drow and Sniper is a great way to teach people how NOT to play Dota. Because of that kind of bad advice Shadow Blade is thought as a "noob" item that is easily countered by dust, while it actually isn't. SB is a really strong item but IF you don't use it like a noob.

Shadow Blade is a ganking item. That's pretty much the only point of it. You turn invisible because you want to gank without being seen. SB is great on Gyrocopter, Tusk, Slark or Troll Warlord because you can get in melee range of heroes without being seen in order to pick them off. Using SB like this is almost impossible to counter - they can't have sentries on the whole map, and it's easy to see if they have a gem (which they'll probably lose in 30 seconds anyways).

So yeah, as far as I'm concerned SB is just situational on Drow (she's a good ganker, but she doesn't really need invis for it), and essentially useless on Sniper. It's 3K gold that could go into much more usefull stuff, like movement speed or DPS ( Phase Boots/ Drum of Endurance/ Yasha or something).

But that's actually a good thing, I love that pub Snipers go SB first item and remain easy kills with dust : otherwise they might actually do useful stuff, like rushing Desolator and just killing everything, or going phase/drum/yasha and being tanky and fast.
I mean, it's great : they remain both useless AND a free kill for a longer time. It's even better if they go for a full attack speed build with no damage and no HP, like those who make 2 Mjollnirs and Skull Basher - this deserves the gold medal I think.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Moodkill » September 3, 2014 7:45am | Report
IMO worst item would be Vanguard and Sange and Yasha. Those 2 items are picked up A LOT in SEA servers and always irks me, I know vanguard is a "good" item but who picks up Vanguard at 30 minute?

Moodkill

Notable (9)
Steam: Moodkill
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KrDotoBestDoto » September 3, 2014 8:57am | Report
Vanguard is about the highest amount of gold thrown out the window. Sange and Yasha can be viable on some heroes, but most heroes benefit more from a Manta Style or a Heaven's Halberd

KrDotoBestDoto

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » September 3, 2014 9:08am | Report
Sando wrote:

The big problems with Vanguard are:

1) It's basically not as good as a Mekansm

I hereby dare anyone to do a Mekansm Anti-Mage gameplay ^^
And it won't be me because I already had my share of russian flame for playing some Mek Spectre o_o

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » September 3, 2014 9:43am | Report
Cmon man, I didn't pull you up for the half ranged block on Dragon Knight Vanguard :). Anti-Mage Vanguard builds are generally for "oh balls my team is going to get rolled if I go Battle Fury or "these guys aren't expecting this at all" - it's usually a situational plan B.

Sure, I probably wouldn't go Mekansm on any hard carry (are they really going to be at all the early-mid fights?)...then again, I wouldn't want to build a Vanguard on them either unless it's a pretty dire situation. Hell, I built Armlet of Mordiggian on my carry Doom earlier on cos the team was getting rolled badly.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by mastadoom » September 3, 2014 3:55pm | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

And it won't be me because I already had my share of russian flame for playing some Mek Spectre o_o

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/809311165
you ask, I deliver.

mastadoom

Notable (7)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » September 3, 2014 7:03pm | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

*Googles "FATA Andy Mage"*

Nope, hasn't happenned yet... 8{(

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » September 4, 2014 1:49am | Report

Nice Mek and pipe!

Anti-Mage with the treant build. WP!

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Nubtrain » September 4, 2014 3:12am | Report
Guys, you're really not looking at Vanguard for what it offers to the player. In some situations it's better to get mek but once you have mek on your team or you know someone will get it, getting Vangaurd is not bad at all.

It's really strong especially if you're behind or need it to survive burst damage from heroes like Clinkz. Vanguard is a really strong for laning and it provides that extra survival for your early game, that's what it's for. That's why you still see some Spectres still build it, especially if the team is not doing good or if there's a ton of burst damage. Why some Spectres build Drums is for it's cheap stats and better offensive capabilities compared to Vanguard but think about what you build if you don't go for Vanguard.

Unless Spectre getting total free-farm to get that quick radiance then you're going to need a way to survive. This also applies to a few other heroes who CAN get mek or need an item to SURVIVE. It's ok to get Vangaurd on heroes like BB, Clockwerk or Timbersaw if you really need an item to survive especially if there is a brutal early game with aggressive plays and lots of damage (i.e heroes like Slark, Kunkka, Skywrath).

Nubtrain
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (58)
Steam: Nubtrain
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved