Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

What is the most underrated/overlooked item in Dota?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » What is the most underrated/overlooked item in Dota? 35 posts - page 1 of 4

Poll Question:

What is the most underrated/overlooked item in Dota?
Veil of Discord
Heaven's Halberd
Other(leave the item name in the comments)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by bballer23 » July 5, 2014 8:59am | Report
Hey guys, I just played a game of Dota 2 where I was Lich and my team had 0 carries(that is a big surprise considering at my level there are usually all carries, yeah, I suck). But anyway, we all decided to go with early game builds so I skipped my usual Aghanims for a Veil and Drums. I finished the game 19/2/22. So yeah, it was a good game for me. It got me thinking about the most underrated items and most overrated items in Dota. I personally think Veil and Halberd are the most underrated, how bout you guys? If you want you guys can post your most overrated items too.

PS: Aghanims is WAY overrated on Lich except against certain lineups(Meepo, Illusions, etc.)

bballer23

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » July 5, 2014 9:14am | Report
I rarely ever buy veil but I don't think it's too bad really. Nice boost to stats all round and the active which weakens enemies to magic. For Lich it would be a nice combo to veil of discord and then use ult. Heavens halberd is great too. A dodge chance and a good boost to strength, which in turn increases health, which is always useful for squishy heroes. A small boost to damage plus the disarm. I think both of these items are okay. :)

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Bunkansee
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by bballer23 » July 5, 2014 10:01am | Report
Yeah I agree. Early game, veil + Lich Ult wrecked, one hit with the ball of doom and half their health was gone. I'm not saying they are bad, I'm just saying they are underrated-they should be used more because they offer more than people think.

bballer23

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » July 5, 2014 10:14am | Report
bballer23 wrote:

Yeah I agree. Early game, veil + Lich Ult wrecked, one hit with the ball of doom and half their health was gone. I'm not saying they are bad, I'm just saying they are underrated-they should be used more because they offer more than people think.

Oh man. Completely misunderstood what you meant by underrated. I though you didn't like them. But I agree. I don't use them much as the heroes I play don't require them, but they are two items which are pretty solid and have lots of use. Although I've never tried it I'm sure veil in combo with cm's ultt would be pretty op too.

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Timminatorr » July 5, 2014 10:14am | Report
Veil is definately the most underrated item in the game, even in pro games teams dont pick up the item at all even though they have so much magic damage.

In pubs i would say that Medallion of Courage is really underrated. I understand why becouse rosh is killed much less on pubs, but it is still not picked up enough.

Timminatorr
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (57)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by [deleted] » July 5, 2014 10:25am | Report
The Veil of Discord is perfect with Area Effect damage and can decimate the enemy. Disruptor's and Outworld's Ultimate can be amazing with it. I've seen a Zeus rock out a Veil and kill heroes like flies in early game. I rarely go Veil, and yes, I agree. It is very underrated.

With Heaven's Halberd, I love to use it on Phoenix. Or Ability Draft. The only time I use Heaven's Halberd is when there's a pesky Phantom Assassin/Sniper/Drow Ranger or any annoying hero. Faceless Void is an another one. However, even then, I use an Orchid of Malevolence hopefully with Silencer with Aghanim's Scepter with Refresher.

An another is the Ghost Sceptor. I rarely use it and rarely see it used. I recall one game with a Crystal Maiden who used it. Instead of using a Shadow Blade (3000) or a Black King Bar (3975), the Ghost (1600) is one viable cheap option.

[deleted]

Notable (1)
Steam: DeluxeMagnum69
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » July 5, 2014 10:37am | Report
I agree with Tim: the Veil is really underrated in pro Dota, especially with these "the more teamfight you have, the more chances you have to win" lineups.

About pubs, I'd say Mekansm on core Heroes is overlooked, they always want the support to buy it.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » July 5, 2014 11:00am | Report
Veil is the most underrated in Pr0fessional Games. Black King Nar] is the most underrated in Pubs. How many times have we all seens [[Weavers or Morphlings building a Linken's Sphere when the other Team's entire Crowd Control and Burst Damage is shut down by Magic Immunity. ._.

About pubs, I'd say Mekansm on core Heroes is overlooked, they always want the support to buy it.

Ditto, I hate it when n00bs whine about me buying a Mekansm on Viper, or when other players build Shadow Blade instead because they need the "Escape". -_-

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » July 5, 2014 11:06am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

Veil is the most underrated in Pr0fessional Games. Black King Nar] is the most underrated in Pubs. How many times have we all seens [[Weavers or Morphlings building a Linken's Sphere when the other Team's entire Crowd Control and Burst Damage is shut down by Magic Immunity. ._.

Ditto, I hate it when n00bs whine about me buying a Mekansm on Viper, or when other players build Shadow Blade instead because they need the "Escape". -_-

^^

I don't play ranked matches because I'm really new. But Mek provides no escape, sure. But it provides you and your team with survivor-ability and a good heal on the active plus armour bonus.

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by bballer23 » July 5, 2014 11:18am | Report
Well then what do you guys think are the most overrated items? Shadow Blade is definitely one of em...dagon maybe? In some situations, aghanims could be overrated.

A few more underrated/overlooked items: Any support items, wards, dust, smokes.

bballer23

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved