Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Is Storm Spirit now a badge of douche?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Is Storm Spirit now a badge of douche? 33 posts - page 3 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » June 30, 2015 9:36am | Report
Sando wrote:

(...) everyone who plays him seem to:

1) Have poor skills with him. Poor jumps, bad skilling, terrible mana managment and decision making.

2) Be incredibly arrogant and bad mannered.

3) Spend the whole game glory hunting for stats and leaving their team to hang.

Anyone else experienced this?

If only this was true about Storm Spirit only...

PS: On topic, I have to agree with whoever talked about Invoker. This is the hero that usually has the biggest ego in my pub games, and I'm guessing it has something to do with the more spells you have to use - the more ego? lol

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Steam: Chi-Chi
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » June 30, 2015 11:43am | Report
Sando wrote:

Anyone else experienced this?

Zaop Storm Spirit, nicest Storm Spirit. He only annoys the other Team! 8{D

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » June 30, 2015 11:49am | Report
caine1232 wrote:

The thing is, yes it's mostly a build for farming, but who says you still can't get kills? You do SO much dmg at lvl 9 that it usually doesn't matter if the enemy starts teleporting. And you aren't always going solo for the kills... You TP into a lane after you farmed jungle or something and need regen, get a quick 1-2 kills and back to farming.
In higher skill games, mid doesn't always have to gank, just watch arteezy play lina mid (he's been doing it quite a lot on stream). He rushes a bloodstone and keeps farming in the jungle untill he gets 2 more items. Same thing is with storm, he can gank early, but if you just let him farm for 20-25 mins he is going to be a monster nobody can stop.
In lower skill games, playing like that is only going to get you 4 reports. "GGWP FF mid no ganks" is what you will see at 10-15 mins. That's why most people think that this build is ****, because they think think mids have to gank or they don't realise a farmed storm is going to be really scary.
Why do you think storm is put on the safelane is most of the pro games? Because it's safer for him to get farm there which he needs.

EDIT: Also, you get your first point in vortex at lvl 10. You can reach that in like 10-12 mins...

I have to say, I find it hard to justify getting that extra point in Static Remnant over a single one in Electric Vortex - is that 40 (30 after MR) damage really going to get you much over simply having a stun available? I really struggle with that idea.

The other big issue is that while Arteezy might have a good time doing it, his team will have been carefully constructed and calibrated around those decisions. I.e. I doubt he'd been farming stacks in the jungle with a Sand King on his team.

This douche essentially took my Blink Dagger away so he could rush an Orchid Malevolence...which he didn't use because he had no points in his stun and wasn't ganking anyway. And I couldn't then gank or use my ult effectively because he'd taken the farm. With a PL and a KOTL on the team it basically left us in a massive hole midgame.

I wouldn't have minded so much if he'd have actually gone and done something useful with the item, but no. As it was, neither myself or Mirana could really do anything positive as our playmaker was AFK and I didn't have a blink. This left the whole team passively sat around trying to eek out scraps of what SS didn't farm already, while the opposition could take towers with impunity.

With a Doombringer on the opposition I know I'd much rather have a rich Phantom Lancer than a rich Storm Spirit on the team. Scrub that, I'd just rather have a rich PL on the team in pretty much any circumstance, because he's a better carry.

We won that game IN SPITE of the AFK farming Storm Spirit than because of him, the rest of the team played really well to make up for how greedy and useless he was.

I'm not saying every Storm plays like this, or that his terrible attitude didn't make it worse, but he does seem to be the en-vogue PPCC (Pro Player CopyCat). Even if they have the skills to use him well (which they generally don't), they're definitely lacking judgement about WHEN it's a good idea to use his more AFK farming build, and when it's a good idea to snowball.

Xyrus wrote:

Which is his job :)
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » June 30, 2015 12:26pm | Report
The problem with Storm skillbuilds is, that Electric Vortex and Static Remnant are very good skills, but both scale incredibly poorly, so you have to level them heavily before they really start to shine.

However, Storm Spirit is a farming mid! Without items the hero seriously is garbage. In the early game he just cant afford to gank; the risk simply is too high. After an early gank, Strom is left with 0 mana and most likely has to go back to base, hurting his own economy...if he didnt get the kill himself, or the gank failed alltogether, thats even more of a blow. This is why many pro-players prefer the remnant/overload build. Also: having a 260 dmg nuke with 3.5 seconds CD asap is insane.

As for all the "mid-douchness" in pubs, feel free to re-read safecyn's statement:

Safecyn wrote:

The mid-lane is the perfect arena for horrible players to get their Dunning-Kruger on.

Short. Simple. And right on point. Nothing to add :D

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by caine1232 » June 30, 2015 12:50pm | Report
L0bstz0r wrote:

The problem with Storm skillbuilds is, that Electric Vortex and Static Remnant are very good skills, but both scale incredibly poorly, so you have to level them heavily before they really start to shine.

However, Storm Spirit is a farming mid! Without items the hero seriously is garbage. In the early game he just cant afford to gank; the risk simply is too high. After an early gank, Strom is left with 0 mana and most likely has to go back to base, hurting his own economy...if he didnt get the kill himself, or the gank failed alltogether, thats even more of a blow. This is why many pro-players prefer the remnant/overload build. Also: having a 260 dmg nuke with 3.5 seconds CD asap is insane.

Finally someone who understands!

@Sando My comment wasn't aimed at your game, but I can see where you are going. Yes, stealing farm from SK is really bad because he needs dagger ASAP. Besides, he could have farmed all the other camps. The thing in pubs is, people usually don't know when to stop farming. It's ok to farm for 15-20 mins (usually), but at some point your team isn't going to be able to 4v5 anymore and you have to join fights. But let's be honest, the amount of games you get a good mid player, is equal to the amount of games you get a decent mid player. So yea, this probably isn't the last time this will happen to you or any other player. It's an online game, there will always be bad, flaming, trolling people and there's nothing you can do except hit the report button.

EDIT:
One more thing also doesn't make sense sando:
You say that he only came to fights to killsteal, however, looking at the game on dotabuff, he has the most hero dmg in the enitre game (more than PL). I don't think that is possible with him only killstealing...

caine1232

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » June 30, 2015 1:20pm | Report
Personally I like 2-3-4-2 by 11, with 2-0-3-1 at 6. Like, I think two points in Static Remnant is still incredibly efficient at flash farming between it and Overload, and it means you can get active on the map with kills, and thus begin the snowball around the timing of your Bottle, Soul Ring and Power Treads (Okay, you'll probably have a component of your next item by then as well, but still).

Like, you actually have a surprisingly substatial mana pool with those three things, and your burst damage is still pretty high. Thus it's pretty easy to go on supports and get the free kills at that stage, and accelerate your Bloodstone/Orchid timing.

The reason why the farming build works in high level pubs and competitive games, is that people understand the concept of hero timings and timing windows for certain line-ups. Thus Storm Spirit can afford to be more passive when it's possible, and flash-farm stacks repeatedly. But in most pubs, there's not this same sense of timing, and often you have to be active sooner to force the game to work for you.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » June 30, 2015 1:41pm | Report
Xyrus wrote:

He creates so much space... whew

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » June 30, 2015 4:04pm | Report
Personally, I don't play Storm Spirit.

But I were to choose a skill build, it would probably be 1-1-4-1...

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » June 30, 2015 5:05pm | Report
L0bstz0r wrote:

However, Storm Spirit is a farming mid! Without items the hero seriously is garbage.

I totally agree he's garbage without farm, that's why he's always played as a core hero...however, you can get plenty of farm and xp from snowballing - you don't HAVE to AFK farm on this hero - although it is an option.

caine1232 wrote:

@Sando My comment wasn't aimed at your game, but I can see where you are going. Yes, stealing farm from SK is really bad because he needs dagger ASAP. Besides, he could have farmed all the other camps.

This was bad, but he also pretty much ruined PL's farm too. If you look at their respective GPM PL's was a lot lower due to lack of priority from Storm, and the fact he was actually having to join fights midgame or leave us 3v5.

caine1232 wrote:

The thing in pubs is, people usually don't know when to stop farming. It's ok to farm for 15-20 mins (usually), but at some point your team isn't going to be able to 4v5 anymore and you have to join fights. But let's be honest, the amount of games you get a good mid player, is equal to the amount of games you get a decent mid player. So yea, this probably isn't the last time this will happen to you or any other player. It's an online game, there will always be bad, flaming, trolling people and there's nothing you can do except hit the report button.

Totally agreed, as Safecyn said, Mid is often the "ego" position, like lead guitar in a band.

caine1232 wrote:

One more thing also doesn't make sense sando:
You say that he only came to fights to killsteal, however, looking at the game on dotabuff, he has the most hero dmg in the enitre game (more than PL). I don't think that is possible with him only killstealing...

I can't remember the exact details, but he got a bunch of pickoffs and stomp kills after we'd taken rax. If you looked at his damage output before 30 mins it would be a very small amount.

And that's kind of what I'm saying - Statswise it looks like he was amazing and carried the team, the reality was he was carried by the rest of us for most of the game until he got to go and fret-wank at the end.

Like I said, I'm NOT applying this to all Storms - just that I've seen this hero abused a lot in this way lately...
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by L0bstz0r » June 30, 2015 6:24pm | Report
Sando wrote:

I totally agree he's garbage without farm, that's why he's always played as a core hero...however, you can get plenty of farm and xp from snowballing - you don't HAVE to AFK farm on this hero - although it is an option.

i think, that i may have miss-represented my opinion here. I was only talking about the early game ( pre level 11) here, when his resource-pool is quite limited. Ganking and small scale scrims just dont pay off at this stage of the game...Unless ofc you get some good runes or the circumstances really allow it.

I am only trying to justify the 4-0-4-1 build. In the early and midgame storm is really all about his nuking power (350 magic dmg every 3.5 seconds is just insane). When forcing the hero into an initiator/ganker role (by puting most of your points into the vortex), all you really get is an absurdly costly single target/non damaging CC, while the hero itself does negligible damage.

I completely agree that storm is one of the best snowballers in the game and that AFK-farming (after a certain minute mark) is unwished for.

L0bstz0r

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: L0bstz0r

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved