Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Sniper Re-Work Idea(s)

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Sniper Re-Work Idea(s) 49 posts - page 1 of 5
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » December 18, 2014 9:31am | Report
Sniper, before I joined dotofire, I thought he was pretty good hero, even an op one. Though learning from you skilled gentlemen, I have discovered that he is basically a long ranged creep with a beard. So, I thought about some rework ideas that could help 'ol Kardel Sharpeye become something more than a derpy pubstomp hero that he currently is.

Skills:
Headshot/ Take Aim: First thing I want to see done is merge both of Sniper's passive skills into one passive, maybe it could be called "lock on" or "rifle mastery", still the basic idea would be to have slightly watered down versions of Take Aim and Headshot combined into one passive, thus opening up room for another skill.

Shrapnel: I want to see one of two things happen with this: One, make it a legit pushing skill (like Diabolic Edict or Liquid Fire) or two, make it into a farming skill (something like Shadowraze or Scorched Earth). Or if that's asking for too much, make it do something Lightning Bolt and have it give true sight over the area it was casted.

New Skill: Merging Headshot and Take Aim opens up a slot for a new skill. What this new should be is something I am going to open up to discussion. Maybe an escape mechanism or something to address his lack of durability? Or just give him suicide squad, attack!

Assassinate: The ultimate, and I think it should made into a skill shot ability kind of like Powershot, and perhaps the damage should scale based on the projectile's traveled distance? Or, you could just have Assassinate fire a Spirit Breaker that uses a turbo-boosted Charge of Darkness to insta-kill the target.

Now in regards to stat gains and what not, I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Remember, Sniper has the highest intelligence stat gain of all agility heroes (2.6), but doesn't currently have the skills to make use of it. So maybe boost up the INT gain to 3 and give him a bit better starting INT stat (He currently starts out with 15 intelligence).

So, for this discussion, what new ability would you want to see on Sniper and what suggestions do you have for a Sniper rework?

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » December 18, 2014 10:05am | Report
The thing is, as long as you keep seeing Sniper as a right-click carry, you'll have the same problem : he's just a ranged creep.

He needs to become what people in LOL call an "ability power carry", ie a nuker with scaling skills, similarly to Invoker or Timbersaw. No more right-click, if you want right-click DPS... Clinkz is just better seriously. I laugh everytime I see a scrub play shadowblade Sniper because he's just playing a watered down Clinkz.

I really like the idea of Suicide Squad, Attack! on him though. He can't have an escape (would be OP) however a suicide skill sounds pretty fun. Maybe suicide to damage and stun in an AOE?

And yeah Assassinate should be a long-range skillshot that you should be able to blindly target in the fog.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KEEP CALM AND FEED » December 18, 2014 10:44am | Report
How about making him sniper as in real life.
Q: spotting drone.(drone can go boom)
W: spawn structures where team can TP
E: Take aim+ headshot as suggested in OP
R:Long range stun, where sniper stuns a unit target, peirces bkb...2seconds.

KEEP CALM AND FEED

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (15)
Steam: KEEP CALM AND FEED
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » December 22, 2014 10:05am | Report
Another possibility is to give Sniper something like Sun Strike.

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kadius » December 22, 2014 9:43pm | Report
Skillshots are cooler imo, feels epic to hit a blind pudge hook. But yeah I think the damage shuld be upped on the ulti and make it a global shot. His q should be an attack speed steroid imo it just fits. His W should eaither be some kind of sniper/ghile suit/evasion type dealio to help him be more durable. His E should be his 2 passives in combo and then his ulti become a Global skillshot that gains daage the longer it travels, like a Jinx rocket to all you LoL players.

That's my opinion.
Like my post? Be sure to toss me a +Rep!

Credits to the lovely and talented Amanda for the sig, be sure to check out her workshop!

Kadius

Notable (2)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by MrLocket » December 24, 2014 10:48am | Report
Actually I have an idea for Sniper.

Q : As usual, the tower pushing effect is really good but too bad it's removed in recent patch, give it a stacking effect would be better and the stacking effect will have diminishing effect. (e.g. movement speed slowed by 30% -> 50% -> 60%)

W : New skill - Camouflage : Upon activation, Sniper will be invisible for 20 seconds, he will be revealed if he attacks, cast a spell or moved more than 800 units in 5 seconds (a meter is shown on how far have you traveled since last 5 seconds). His invisibility cannot be revealed by any other sources ( like Slark's Shadow Dance). Has an activation delay of 3 seconds and cannot be used if Sniper is under attack by enemy hero with cooldown of 3 seconds. Sniper remains invisible even after 20 seconds but the invisibility now is reveal-able by any source of invi-detection and invisibility is lost if Sniper move, attack or cast a spell(like Meld).

E : New skill - Sharp Eye : With years of hunting experiences, Sniper is able to detect any enemy that dare to sneak around him and take that enemy out. If an enemy hero remains at least 5 seconds within 1200 units around him, that target will be revealed until that target moved out at least 1800 units from sniper. Takes 10 seconds to detect invisible enemy hero.

R : Take aim : Passively increase sniper's attack range by 300/400/500. If Sniper is attacking an enemy hero who is being revealed by sharp eye, Sniper is not visible if he is staying in fog, if the attack target is outside of Sniper's attack range, sniper will then cast Assassinate (sub-skill of take aim) if the target is under killing threshold of 280/390/500 HP (note that the damage is similar as old Assassinate under normal magic resistance) and land a killing blow upon success.

W and E are only shown in max level, while R is fully shown ( level 1~3 ).
My face -> ( / *3*)/

MrLocket

Notable (16)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » December 24, 2014 11:46am | Report
What if Sniper had an ability where he lies on the ground and channels? He gets bonus vision etc. and it's like a channeled Focus Fire.

Or...

What if he had an ability where he got bonuses when he was out of sight or something?

Just my two cents.

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KrDotoBestDoto » December 24, 2014 5:57pm | Report
Here's what I would do:
Q:
Shrapnel rework(Active):
Target point
Grants vision and 2 secs of truesight in target area
1600 Range
300 Radius
5 sec duration
20/32/44/56 dmg per second
20%/25%/30%/35% movespeed slow, slow duration: 2 secs

mana cost: 100 cd: 20

High cost spell that deals ok dmg in a small aoe and has the utility of granting short duration truesight similar to Zeus' Lightning Bolt. Doesn't damage buildings, no charges.

W:
New skill:
Piercing rounds(Passive):
Grants a chance to destroy part of the enemy armor.

20% chance
1/1/2/2 reduction, duration 10 secs
Maximum stacks:
3/5/5/7

E:
Take Aim rework(Active):
Target point
Fires a marking in a straight line untill an enemy unit is hit (works on buildings)

Grants vision around the hit target every 5 seconds for 30 seconds. Grants additional 350 attack range on the target and slows the target by 10%.

Charges replenish after 35 seconds
Max charges: 3

mana cost: 50, cd: 10

R: (Ultimate)
Place Accelerator(Active):
Target point
400 Range
Places a Accelerator which will accelerate one attack targeted at it. The accelerated bullet will fly in a straight line drawn from Sniper to the Accelerator and keep traveling in a straight line untill hitting a enemy hero or going off the map. The hit target will receive additional physical dmg and be stunned for 2 seconds.

Additional dmg:
300/400/500

mana cost: 150/250/350 cd: 30

There can only be one Accelerator on the map at all times. When reused it will replace the oldest Accelerator.

KrDotoBestDoto

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Cataclysm2146 » December 24, 2014 6:45pm | Report
Give him a damage steroid that functions like Jinada and another passive damage bonuse if he has not taken damage in the past 3 seconds.
Make Shrapnel do damage to towers again, and make it ministun periodically.

Cataclysm2146

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » December 24, 2014 7:21pm | Report
my rework:

{Q}:steady aim: sniper's base movement speed is reduced to 150 (boot speed is added).He gets true aim and bonus damage for the entire duration of steady aim.
duration:5/6/7/8
Bonus damage:25%/50%/100% of base damage (like Sven)
cooldown:20/15/15/15

{W}:take aim: the old skill

{E}:Tracer shot:tags unit for a set duration and ministuns it.also deals bonus damage and slows.
Tracer time:10 seconds
Ministun duration:0.1
Bonus damage:50
Slow:50%
slow duration:4 seconds
cooldown:25/15/5/5

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved