Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Role of the Warlock??

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Role of the Warlock?? 17 posts - page 2 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by sulaxrox » August 25, 2013 3:19pm | Report
Warlock is a team fight controlling hero, he's odd because quite honestly he shouldn't be in a support role, rather boosting his ultimate and farming a refresher, he's a big snowball here, and in the lane you're in, if you're not pushing a tower at lvl 6-7 with your golem you're doing something wrong.

Utilizing powerful combos with warlock and say, magnas or dark seer come to mind.
Generally you want to focus on getting tranquil boots, bottle, point booster early on, finish aghs after you spend the early-mid killing heroes and pushing towers.
Utilize his abilities to cripple lanes, kill heroes, and push the lanes, take away their safe farming areas and continue to pressure them, warlock is an incredibly powerful team fighter and pusher, get force staff or blink dagger for escape or initiation
Step 1: Pick Bristleback
Step 2: type in all chat:"GL hf"
Step 3: solo offlane
Step 4: first blood triple kill solo vs trilane
Step 5: continue head butting keyboard
Step 6: don't care, Bristleback doesn't give a ****
Step 7: screenshot repeated: BB OP comments in all chat
Step 8: alternate games with Slark pick

sulaxrox

Notable (6)
Steam: sulaxrox
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ClownCloud » August 25, 2013 11:50pm | Report
sulaxrox wrote:

Warlock is a team fight controlling hero, he's odd because quite honestly he shouldn't be in a support role, rather boosting his ultimate and farming a refresher, he's a big snowball here, and in the lane you're in, if you're not pushing a tower at lvl 6-7 with your golem you're doing something wrong.

Utilizing powerful combos with warlock and say, magnas or dark seer come to mind.
Generally you want to focus on getting tranquil boots, bottle, point booster early on, finish aghs after you spend the early-mid killing heroes and pushing towers.
Utilize his abilities to cripple lanes, kill heroes, and push the lanes, take away their safe farming areas and continue to pressure them, warlock is an incredibly powerful team fighter and pusher, get force staff or blink dagger for escape or initiation

I don't see how Warlock can fill any other role besides support. Like you said, he is a team fight controller, but his abilities aren't well-suited to any role that requires solo action; that is unless you want to pop your ult in a 1 v 1 fight, which should be saved for team fights. Beyond that, especially during the laning phase, his abilities are tailored to aid your carry, Shadow Word specifically.

I think he is a good counter-pusher, though, as Fatal Bonds helps clear creep waves pretty quickly.

ClownCloud

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by sulaxrox » August 28, 2013 4:19am | Report
ClownCloud wrote:

I don't see how Warlock can fill any other role besides support. Like you said, he is a team fight controller, but his abilities aren't well-suited to any role that requires solo action; that is unless you want to pop your ult in a 1 v 1 fight, which should be saved for team fights. Beyond that, especially during the laning phase, his abilities are tailored to aid your carry, Shadow Word specifically.

I think he is a good counter-pusher, though, as Fatal Bonds helps clear creep waves pretty quickly.

Well before mage RP nerf a lot of people would use it 1v1 and continue to farm, the idea I'm presenting is netting early kills mid with warlock, if you control the lane with fatal bonds and shadow word dotting them to death you'll reach 6 quickly and can probably secure a kill 1 v 1, followed up by an early tower. Getting the most out of his golem as early as possible for an early gold advantage and more important, putting as much pressure on opposing team as possible
Step 1: Pick Bristleback
Step 2: type in all chat:"GL hf"
Step 3: solo offlane
Step 4: first blood triple kill solo vs trilane
Step 5: continue head butting keyboard
Step 6: don't care, Bristleback doesn't give a ****
Step 7: screenshot repeated: BB OP comments in all chat
Step 8: alternate games with Slark pick

sulaxrox

Notable (6)
Steam: sulaxrox
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » September 3, 2013 1:00am | Report
I'd put a slightly different spin on this myself - Warlock is usually played a support for a few reasons:

- Fairly poor agility gain
- No passives to boost damage (i.e. his right click is never going to be great scaling wise)
- His skills work very well without additional items
- Upheaval is a channelling spell, you can't cast it and still attack

Ok his ultimate is better with Aghanim's Scepter and/or Refresher Orb, but it's not essential by any - the gollums can be killed quickly by late game carries, or heroes with Diffusal Blade, so may not make all that much difference. You're left with a 1 second, large AOE, BKB-busting stun - good, but not a game changer.

I'd also argue he works far better with big AOE damage ultimates than disables like Reverse Polarity - Fatal Bonds + Poison Nova/ Epicenter/ Echo Slam is far more scary!
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ClownCloud » September 4, 2013 11:26am | Report
I've never been a big fan of either scepter or refresher orb on him since there are more useful (and much cheaper) items that he can get and still be a serious asset in team fights. Even then, I would go for refresher over scepter -- two stuns are better than one. I'm a fan of building Ghost Scepter, as it buys you a little time from being focused while channeling Upheaval.

And I have to agree that AOE damage synergizes more than a disable; if anything, his 1 second stun just makes the setup easier for a followup disable.

What do you all think of building a Necronomicon on Warlock? I've never done it but have dabbled with the idea, as it provides a bit more pushing power and damage during team fights while you're continuing to channel. It seems to grant some useful stat increases as well.

ClownCloud

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Onin » September 10, 2013 9:40am | Report
The warlock is all about team synergy IMO. I think the decision between going for refresher orb or not comes down to the team the warlock is on more than anything else. If the team needs a traditional support role to be filled by the warlock then they need to suck it up and do that. If there is a opportunity for the warlock to get some good farm without hurting the other heroes then farm up to refresher and win some team fights.

There is no doubt that getting refresher and Ag's is a lot of fun.

Onin

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Pu12e » September 10, 2013 6:34pm | Report
I use him to secure kills.

Pu12e

Notable (11)
Steam: Pu12e
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved