Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Oracle as a #2-3

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Oracle as a #2-3 39 posts - page 2 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » June 11, 2015 7:43am | Report
Cuttleboss wrote:

I'm kind of going with Hamster on this one.

I was writing my Oracle guide (spoilers, in case anyone cared) and basically my conclusion is he lacks the chops to really carry, and the 1.4 BAT is just a nice little bonus attack for when you disarm heroes like Ursa and not something to be built around.

Every benefit of his aside from the BAT is grantable to his allies, and his mana problems, although noticeable before Arcanes, is not really big compared to heroes like Shadow Shaman or Ancient Apparition. Also, he has to channel in order to unleash his purge-root, which is time not spent attacking. Fate's Edict amps all non-magic damage, not just Oracle's, and False Promise goes much better on a hero who does a lot more innate damage.

Like, all Oracle needs is Arcane Boots and he's high impact just because his spells have massive cast range.

So, Coracle, although seems good in theory, does not have a way to farm, and even though he can have some decent dps, there are a lot of better core heroes that are much more reliant on farm that can achieve better results due to higher damage or farm rate, like Slardar and Leshrac.

And although Orchid-Manta on Oracle is fun, it's not something you can expect to win with, just like the useless Dagon build.

Hmm... What if instead of building carry items, you get utility items on core Oracle instead? For example, a quick Eul's Scepter and/or Arcansm boots ( Guardian Greaves) will make your team ultra-survivable and thus make it easier to perform early pushes. Pretty sure Oracle in a dual offlane situation can get most of the last hits in the lane with Purifying Flames and even secure a kill or 2 on the enemies in the lane.

Also, I think that Oracle can farm at a decent rate with Purifying Flames, although Leshrac obviously farms faster. I'd say that hero's pretty powerful in this patch, definitely getting a nerf next patch.

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by porygon361 » June 11, 2015 7:53am | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

The idea has been known since Oracle got into the game.

Nope, because I was playing Mask of Madness Jugg 2 years ago. And lots of people were too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWQkRL-hyq4

Singsing playing this in 2013.

Nobody was brave or innovative in any way by going for Mom Jugg. They just recycled an old build which has always been good.

I did try it. Right when the hero was released. It sucked.

Yes, people trying out new stuff and asking opinions about it.
- Carry Oracle is not new stuff.
- You asked people for their opinion so you can't blame me for giving my honest opinion.

Kind of, but it's still kind on a weaker version of Lina.

You know, I'm trying to help you here. If you don't read the theorycrafting section you won't be so annoyed --> life improved.

Anyway, yeah. You know about the Jugg build 2 years ago, singsing tried it blablabla, I get it, but i just tried to give an example of a pretty ******ed build that ended up working in the end. I don't have any examples off the top of my head right now, so I'm not going to say anything else. Oracle has been given some changes from when it was released, so maybe you can try it again? I dunno, my conversations with you don't go anywhere and I end up feeling pretty annoyed afterwards. You know, forget what I said. Maybe I should just stop posting in the theorycrafting section if I don't wanna be so annoyed lol.

Hero Idea Archive

Newest Idea: Ibrik, the Tormentor

And the newest in my series of hero guides...

My Guide to the Grandest Magus of All

porygon361
<Editor>

Remarkable (46)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by IgnoranceIsBliss » June 11, 2015 8:15am | Report
What about instead of Core, take it into utility/nuker..
yeah i know you have heard about the old Oracle Nuker build (dagon) wat about mix it with utility then, viola!! a very strong oracle that can help his team mates while raining down damage to enemies

Like take: Arcansm boots ( Guardian Greaves), Then take level 1 dagon, then take Scythe of Vyse, and so on and so forth just get like 1 core ite like lets say Butterfly or Eye of Skadi
or stuff.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you can solve your problems, then what is the need of worrying?
If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?

Hero Ideas:
Daemon, The Headhunter
Nuegar, Mercenary of the Ruins
Dues, The Elemental Magus
Zermunt, The Plague Doctor
Alphyria, The Lady of the Skies

IgnoranceIsBliss

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » June 11, 2015 8:25am | Report
Dagon e blade works on all heroes. Innate nuking power is all the more awesome. Its just that one generally doea not have enough resources if not a core to build it. If u get under some 25 mins the game would be awesome for the next 10 to 15 mins. If you are not able to finish the game within that time however, its effectiveness would lessen.

Edit
OMG I just noticed, the comment is so off topic. Ignore it please.

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » June 11, 2015 8:38am | Report
Well, it remains that the only thing you get from playing Oracle as a core over playing him as a support is building right-click items. It's kind of a waste of farm.

- Item independent heroes are pretty much meant to be played as hard supports. So if you build Arcane Boots and Force Staff on Oracle or Dazzle, this solves the hero's mana issues completely so they can use their abilities. So a support Oracle or Dazzle will have exactly the same game impact as a core Oracle or Dazzle...except that they can't right click.

- Slightly item dependent heroes like Rubick, Sand King, or Crystal Maiden for that matter...are meant to be played as rich supports. They have a native farming skill ( Fade Bolt, Sand Storm, Frostbite...) that allows them to get the items they need. So if you know how to farm efficiently with them they'll get their items easily. Playing them as cores is literally a way of saying "I don't know how to farm efficiently so I'll be hogging mid lane and taking tons of space from my team to compensate for my lack of farming skill".

Good support players are constantly trying their hardest to have their support have the same game impact as a core. All I'm seeing with core Oracle/ Dazzle/ Rubick whatever is a core having the game impact of a support.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » June 11, 2015 8:41am | Report
No offense, but that ^ right there should have been your original post.

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by IgnoranceIsBliss » June 11, 2015 8:44am | Report

No offense, but that ^ right there should have been your original post.

My thoughts exactly
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you can solve your problems, then what is the need of worrying?
If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?

Hero Ideas:
Daemon, The Headhunter
Nuegar, Mercenary of the Ruins
Dues, The Elemental Magus
Zermunt, The Plague Doctor
Alphyria, The Lady of the Skies

IgnoranceIsBliss

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by armc3j » June 11, 2015 11:46am | Report
I actually like mid oracle a lot as a niche pick... He is capable of a fair amount of lane control, and he does stupidly good burst damage early on. If you know his combo, at level 7 he can dish out ~700 damage in 2 seconds... That's quite a lot when followed up by backup. I think he has his ups and downs, but from playing him mid I think he is certainly viable

Also, purge has a video he posted about 3-4 weeks ago where he played mid oracle and gave his opinions on it. ;)
when a thing is done, it's done. Don't look back.

armc3j

Notable (3)
Steam: .Elusive
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » June 11, 2015 12:24pm | Report
At the end of the day, ths big issue is that even if you get a truckload of Farm on Oracle, does it make a real difference comapred to more suitable Cores?

No.

The best Cores are ones that can make use of getting Items asap to drastically improve their performance. Most Offlaners get a huge spike when they get their Blink Daggers. Most Mids or Safe Laners suddenly beomce huge threats after <Insert Item> + Black King Bar.

You might think there's a noticable difference if you get a positioning Item, i.e. Blink Dagger or Force Staff, but with 1000 Range on Fortune's End, you don't really need them to save Allies, you just need good Positioning in fights.

Hamster has already pointed out the flaw on Orchid Malevolence.

While you can get Damage Items on Oracle, with 0HP, you're hardly a threat against a competent team since you'll either get kited or Locked down and eliminated.

You can solve the above problem by getting Items like Eye of Skadi, Black King Bar etc., but you're going to be spending at least 8k Gold just to be able to stay in the middle of fights. While Oracle can get Last Hits quite easily, he cannot clear Stacks fast enough to Farm these Items up in a reasonable time.

Core Oracle might work as a niche pick, but even Core Rubick is far more viable tbh. 8{(

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » June 11, 2015 1:14pm | Report
You can actually farm reasonably quickly with Oracle if you have mana regen and some levels in Fortune's End - the problem with this early on is it means fewer levels in Purifying Flames - not good.

Overall I have to agree with the POV of he doesn't make a particular good core - 80%-90% of what he can do as a core, he can do as a mildly itemised support.

Generally this starts putting you into the #4 category - slightly needy in terms of gold and levels, but nowhere near enough to be a proper core.

I'd only play him mid if the draft somehow meant he had to be there as your other potential mid pick was heavily countered, and he isn't. Fast levels do quite a lot for him, but he's got to stay ahead and win early to remain relevant.

Saying all this, if the situation warrants, I think he can make a pretty good early core transistioning to support hero (like a midlane Bane for example) - where you win your lane well, gank like crazy, and "swap roles" with a support Gyrocopter or Wraith King for example.

I like the old term "semi-carry" here rather than core. Basically a hero who farms heroes rather than gold and has strong early-midgame impact.

And no, don't try to explain this to anyone in a pub :).
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved