Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Necrophos: Possibility of use in professional DotA 2

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Necrophos: Possibility of use in professional DotA 2 13 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ninecent » December 25, 2014 10:48pm | Report
So, Necro is extremely strong hero in pubs however he isn't really used much in the pro scene. Why? Most likely because he is farm dependent, but doesn't scale well enough to justify the farming spot. He just doesn't fill any niche in pro DotA. That being said...
He is still very strong. The amount of teamfight he brings at level 7 is absurd, although underutilized. I could see him being run as a solo safelane hero(position 3) in a setup with an aggro trilane. He wrecks tanky offlaners in a solo matchup, and can sustain himself rather well. Once level 7 hits, along with hopefully a mek, his teamfight potential allows his team to deathball down mid and take some towers. However, one can deathball earlier than level 7, probably around level 3 is good.
So to recap and add to what I said, here are the pros and cons, then characteristics of a Necrophos(and his team comp)
Pros
-Powerful teamfight in early-mid game
-Excels at drawn out fights where both teams lack the burst to kill another hero quickly
-Aura destroys tankier heroes if the game runs late
-+30 second respawn timer on a major teamfight hero allows for a potentially longer push if the teamfight is won
-One of the best deathball strat heroes in a vacuum
-One of the better AOE heals in the game

Cons
-Farm dependent if he wants to stay very effective, needs a large mana pool early game
-Farm is more of a "fill in weaknesses" than "make me stronger" like most heroes with farm priority.
-Still falls off late game, walking ult+mini-heal
-Very mana hungry early game, items that would solve this easily are just a huge waste mid game when Sadist is kicking in
-Level dependent as well, but is a weak midlaner against heroes like TA or Puck

Team Comp Characteristics
-Many sources of AOE damage
-Powerful early and mid game, late game weakness
-Susceptible to strong anti-push ruining the entire strategy
-Ability to melt towers, at least one hero proficient at doing so at an early stage

Not going to say a whole lot more, but do want to have some discussion on Necrophos in the pro scene. I do have an example lineup with a few notes/explanations though.
Luna Hard lane Position 1 "Carry"
-Aura allows for very strong 5-man push early game, Teamfight ultimate and powerful nuke are also very effective. Best carry for early teamfights that still works well late game(arguably)
Tidehunter Hard lane Position 4 "Rich Support"
-lvl 1 Gush because trilane, otherwise normal stuff
Shadow Shaman Hard lane Position 5 "Poor Support"
-Principle pushing hero, prioritizing Hex and Ether Shock due to unreliability of shackle in large fights
Necrophos Easy lane Position 3 "Offlaner"
-Heal and Mek, principle sustain hero
Brewmaster Mid Lane Position 2 "Mid"
-Tank hero, I really don't know how to build brew so I'll leave it there.

Ninecent

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » December 25, 2014 11:11pm | Report
Luna is really a lackluster carry imo :/ also the whole team is royally ****ed up with a Silencer/ Tinker pick.

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » December 25, 2014 11:34pm | Report
Necrophos is actually pretty popular in competitive.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » December 25, 2014 11:49pm | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

^This
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KEEP CALM AND FEED » December 26, 2014 12:11am | Report
30 seconds respawn time increase? CHECK.
NO BUYBACK OPTION FOR ENEMY CARRY. CHECK.
Damages people by JUST standing there. Check. (goes thru BKB)
Can shift a whole LOT of HP from enemy team into aliied team. Check.
Can ROYALLY f**k up the enemy lane if they dont buy a ring of health. BIG CHECK.
Natural carrier for Mek and pipe. Check

Necrophos is the 6.81 version of razor. Only that he plays with health and not damage.
He has some HORRIBLE kiting issues which need to be addressed and voila you have a big walking zombie man that even makes undying **** his pants. Hes the one that new year beast fears wat sort of a chance do heroes have against him?

KEEP CALM AND FEED

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (15)
Steam: KEEP CALM AND FEED
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ElDiablo » December 26, 2014 2:14am | Report

30 second respawn time increase? CHECK

30% more respawn time! Not 30 seconds! >={F
Master of the hidden art of typoing and the greatest enemy of RNGesus

Check out my second hero idea Izinaga the Guardian

ElDiablo

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (10)
Steam: ElDiablo
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » December 26, 2014 2:22am | Report
ElDiablo wrote:

30% more respawn time! Not 30 seconds! >={F

Its 30 seconds its patched

Early game scythe is just sooo annoying
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » December 26, 2014 2:26am | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

Unscathed wrote:

^This

By the way, he does scale quite well into late game: okay, he doesn't rely on physycal damage, but he's one of the best Shiva's Guard/ Scythe of Vyse holders because he can farm them in (relatively) little time and even his passive is percentage-based. Also, landing an Agh's ultimate on the enemy hard carry basically ensures you get barracks, which is more than enough to justify a safe lane Necrophos. His only flaw is that he can't do much against Black King Bars, but his good farming skills and sustain make up for it.

He's best played against teams that focus on tanky Heroes (mainly initiators like Brewmaster, Doom, Magnus and Tidehunter and Heroes that do more damage the more they stay into the fight like Death Prophet and Bristleback) and he's usually played in the safe lane as a position 1 Hero, sometimes even mid.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ElDiablo » December 26, 2014 2:52am | Report
Unscathed wrote:

Its 30 seconds its patched

Early game scythe is just sooo annoying

wow... i didn't know that...
Master of the hidden art of typoing and the greatest enemy of RNGesus

Check out my second hero idea Izinaga the Guardian

ElDiablo

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (10)
Steam: ElDiablo
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » December 26, 2014 3:31am | Report
KoDyAbAbA wrote:

Luna is really a lackluster carry imo :/ also the whole team is royally ****ed up with a Silencer/ Tinker pick.

U wot m9

Luna destroys everything from teams to rax in the lategame.

Especially illusion Heroes. I'm surprised she isn't picked up more as a counter to Terrorballer/Naga Siren/Chaos Knight.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved