Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Maelstrom instead of BF on AM

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Maelstrom instead of BF on AM 9 posts - page 1 of 1
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerak Kyria » March 10, 2015 6:54am | Report
So I played an AM game about 1hr or so ago and had **** early game and so I decided to go an alternate build for farming on AM with cheap stats + mealstrom intead of BF cuz it would've been to late and probably lose us the game.
Anyway for farming I had;
-brown boots
- Ring of Aquila
-PMS
- Ring of Health (got this to help survive lane)
- Quelling Blade
- Maelstrom

What is your opinion on this build. Is it viable. I have seen it done before and honestly I'd prefer it more over the bf build due to extra attack speed although you probably farm slower.
Dotobuff --> http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1308694296
Your new diet for heroes; You will need 4 wards (cuz wards taste better), 1 set of tangoes, 1 mango, 1 cheese.
With this you can make a nice Tango Mango Cheese platter. You can wash this all down with a nice bottle of water, Can be flavoured with red, green, yellow, blue, purple AND GOLD!
Caution: Taking roshan 3 times is required.

Zerak Kyria

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » March 10, 2015 7:40am | Report
Wow so many AM threads xD

Ring of Aquila (1010) + Ring of Health (875) + Maelstrom (2800) = 4685 gold spent on items that don't increase AM's survivability in any way.

Battle Fury = 4350 gold spent on an item that doesn't increase AM's survivability in any way.

So your build comes online even later than Bfury, because in order to fight AM needs to build HP.

Conclusion, if you buy a Ring of Health, get a freaking bfury. And Ring of Aquila is a terrible item, that even got nerfed when Ring of Protection got a cost increase.

If you build regen items like RoH or Aquila, might as well go bfury. If you replace RoH/aquila by an Urn of Shadows or a Bottle for regen, going Maelstrom next is legit.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » March 10, 2015 10:22am | Report
Question:

Why Maelstrom though? What advantages it have over Bfury? When should i get BF or Mael?
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerak Kyria » March 10, 2015 10:25am | Report
Yes, but the problem with that math on paper is a naked BF does not get u tons of farm, aquila = cheap stats/armour/dmg/mana regen. Ring of health = survivability (slightly) in jungle. Maelstrom = atk speed + farm accelerator. Honestly I decided this way was better because it was 12 minutes when I was like hell nowhere near bf. change.

@ Unscathed
The advantages it has over BF is you can fight earlier. It's active works! More of a fighting build but really, in hind sight bf is better due to health/mana regen. Honestly try both see what works.
Your new diet for heroes; You will need 4 wards (cuz wards taste better), 1 set of tangoes, 1 mango, 1 cheese.
With this you can make a nice Tango Mango Cheese platter. You can wash this all down with a nice bottle of water, Can be flavoured with red, green, yellow, blue, purple AND GOLD!

Zerak Kyria

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » March 10, 2015 11:58am | Report
Wow that Dire team though. The classic 5-core lineup, literally no stun dota. Easiest AM game ever xD
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Unscathed » March 10, 2015 12:01pm | Report
what i like about BF is that it allows spamming Blink though. Maelstrom can't do that.

and besides it also gave reasonable damage for fights.

unless its a rush Mjollnir though..
Don't Worry, Be Happy

Late credits to Janitsu for the sig

Unscathed
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KrDotoBestDoto » March 10, 2015 9:50pm | Report
BF is superior with treads since you literally never run out of mana.

KrDotoBestDoto

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Zerak Kyria » March 10, 2015 10:07pm | Report
Ok, so what I am reading is that people prefer BF over Maelstrom due to mana regen, farm acceleration is better due to spamable blink and better damage for team fights. Does everyone agree?

Zerak Kyria

Notable (8)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ashwinthegrim » March 17, 2015 8:32pm | Report
If you are going Maelstrom, ditch the Aquila and RoH and get a Vlads instead.. Vlads + Mjollnir is actually a legit alternative for an AM, in my opinion..

IIRC, Kuroky built this combo back when he was playing carry for Team Secret.. I think it was in one of the games against Na'Vi in the XMG Captains Draft 2.0..

ashwinthegrim

Notable (7)
Steam: Grim

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved