Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Good Pub 5 Stack Drafts

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Good Pub 5 Stack Drafts 65 posts - page 3 of 7
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Krwiozerca » May 7, 2015 11:59pm | Report
I said it before when this new patch was realased. It is greedy, but it may be fun:

Tiny farms Assault Cuirass with Io babysitter (Hell, I can play the Wisp), and Alchemist farms Aghanim's Scepter for Tiny. How about this? We can get Alchemist some nice support on safe lane, offlane Tidehunter/ Magnus/ Centaur Warrunner / Axe, and we should be good to go.

Krwiozerca

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (34)
Steam: Krwiozerca
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » May 8, 2015 12:20am | Report
u see alche picked?

grab undying ogre and go **** with him :)

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » May 8, 2015 12:28pm | Report
Bunkansee wrote:

Problem is when I play in a stack, is that I play so few heroes. I maybe play 3 or 4 with relative success, while pretty much all other heroes I have never played/ have 1 or 2 games with.

If I play a hero which sounds good on paper, chances are I'll have a higher chance of losing than If I pick a hero that doesn't fit into the lineup that well, but I can at least play them well.

That's actually not true in most cases. Granted, there are exceptions like Meepo, but once you have the Basics down, you can play most Heroes reasonably well.

If you're not having any success with Anti-Mage, is this because you're a bad Anti-Mage player? No! AM is quite simple, any issue you have with this Hero is down to you lacking a Basic Skill that applies to any and all Heroes, e.g. you're not having much impact because you can't get Battle Fury before 20:00 and have no other Items until 40:00? Your issue is with your Ability to Farm and recover from a difficult Laning Stage.

There's usually a simple trick to using certain Skills correctly as well, e.g. wait for someone to go out of position, count to 4 and Glimpse them.

A lot of newer or less confident players tend to stick to playing Support primarily, and judging from my 2 and a half years experience, it's because they lack the confidence and decision making Skills to play as Cores. The thing is, you need to play Core Positions to learn how to Farm effectively and make big plays. Yes, you'll make mistakes and Feed and Throw a lot, but it's a learning process everyone has to go through in order to improve.

It's actually better to "try" new Heroes in 5-stacks (just get comfortable with them in Bot matches/lobbies 1st and make sure to read a guide *cough*blatant advertising*cough*), since your team can choose their Heroes to complement the Lineup, and experienced Teammates can often take another Core Position, e.g. Safe Lane/Mid/Jungle, so they're not relying on you to Carry them. They can also offer tips and tricks on how to play your Hero, and how to recover if you're having difficulty.

TL DR; Never be afraid to try something new in a 5-stack, just improve upon your basic Skills if you're lacking.

Sando wrote:

We could play Captains Draft to solve some of the team pick issues, but that means you're likely to be up against an even more serious/organised opposition.

We play Captain's Draft as 5 with Zaop sometimes, it usually works well.
Sando wrote:

Trying to fill roles is difficult - for example, I'm 4k+ so you might want to auto-stick me into Mid/Carry...but they're actually my least played positions. I'm probably one of the stronger players we have for playing #5 for example...but is warding and not feeding effectively worth the same as making bigger plays as a #3 or #4? Hard to say.

Agreed, I just meant that most 4k+ players are more comfortable with Core positions than Supports, you're probably the only one that prefers Support that much. 8{3
Sando wrote:

Totally agree btw we should discuss before match - less experienced players having a limited hero pool could actually help us here, as it narrows down the potential list of line ups.

Hamstertamer wrote:

If some players are only comfortable with a small pool of heroes, they can deal with it by calling the position that fits them best. Like if you only know how to play Lion and Shadow Shaman, just call #4 support and you're fine.

Discussing is good, but encouraging players to stick to the same limited Hero Pool isn't going to help them play better, they need to branch out and have fun with new Heroes, or their Skill Cap will just stagnate.

Draft: Drow Visage Lycan Furion Jakiro
Drow mid
aggro tri with Furion
Lycan solo safelane

Drow gets fast 6 -> push of doom commences on all lanes -> ??? -> win

Drow Ranger Strats are fun <}3 ...until 40:00 ._.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Konstantin_C » May 8, 2015 12:55pm | Report
Guys, is there any chance for me to join your matches? I guess that you are playing public matches from what I have read here. I'm fluctuating between 3.6-4.1 MMR for a long time and I have played over 4.000 matches so far so I guess I can fit with you.

I advice you to play Captains Mode if you want to play Dota2 in the most interesting, organized and more look like competitive way.

Konstantin_C

Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » May 8, 2015 3:24pm | Report
Konstantin_C wrote:

Guys, is there any chance for me to join your matches?

Sure, there's always the inhouse tommorow

http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/forum/inhouses/dotafire-captains-mode-inhouse-9th-amp-10th-may-33775?page=1#comments

Other than that, you can PM someone a link to your Steam account.

I'm playing a lot less lately due to playing a lot of Heroes of the Storm + work, but I'm usually around a lot on weekends and days off.
Konstantin_C wrote:

I advice you to play Captains Mode if you want to play Dota2 in the most interesting, organized and more look like competitive way.

We usually queue AP/CM when we group up as 5, which doesn't always happen. Doing it as 4 just gets you that guys who keeps asking for Shadow Field, then abandons when it gets banned. 8{D

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » May 8, 2015 4:49pm | Report
Xyrus wrote:

Agreed, I just meant that most 4k+ players are more comfortable with Core positions than Supports, you're probably the only one that prefers Support that much. 8{3

Too many solo pub games :). I'm a decent offlaner/jungler too, and can certainly play carry or mid...just relatively less experienced. It's hard to say in that situation whether you're better having a less experienced player in their preferred role, or a more experienced one filling in.

My last hitting is pretty strong (I'm used to denying with ****py base damage and no items) on cores, but probably lack the sharp edge of recent practice, being sufficiently greedy etc :)

Xyrus wrote:

Discussing is good, but encouraging players to stick to the same limited Hero Pool isn't going to help them play better, they need to branch out and have fun with new Heroes, or their Skill Cap will just stagnate.

I agree with you in general, but not in these cases.

For example, if we have a 2k MMR player in a game with say a few 4K+ players on their team - the opposition is, on average, going to be substantially stronger than they're used to. This ain't the time to be experimenting with new heroes. They're already going to be stressed by the expectations of their team mates, reaction times, positioning, decision making etc.

They're going to learn a hell of a lot just by playing at that kind of standard. Throwing a new hero on top of that is too much. Stagnation is not an option :)

Krwiozerca wrote:

I said it before when this new patch was realased. It is greedy, but it may be fun:

Tiny farms Assault Cuirass with Io babysitter (Hell, I can play the Wisp), and Alchemist farms Aghanim's Scepter for Tiny. How about this? We can get Alchemist some nice support on safe lane, offlane Tidehunter/ Magnus/ Centaur Warrunner / Axe, and we should be good to go.

I like this kind of idea, you're setting the team up for a specific strategy...yes it's counterable, but at least we have a definite plan on how we want to proceed - unusual strats can also catch people out more.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » May 10, 2015 1:38pm | Report
I want to play new roles but I don't even know where to begin, I think I'm stuck with support forever.

I've practised the basics, but I can't learn anymore unless I play a real match, but it I play a real match we lose, and it's all my fault...

How am I supposed to go about this?

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Bunkansee
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » May 10, 2015 1:42pm | Report
I don't know what to say except that be confident!

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » May 10, 2015 7:38pm | Report
Sando wrote:

I agree with you in general, but not in these cases.

For example, if we have a 2k MMR player in a game with say a few 4K+ players on their team - the opposition is, on average, going to be substantially stronger than they're used to.

I once played in a 4-stack with 3 4k+ players and went Solo Mid (not my best role), we had an Aggro Tri-Lane top to ensure that Terrorblade did not get Farmed, problem was, he went Mid. 8{D

I got First Blood on him at lvl3, 1 vs 1. X{D

Enemy team's skill level is not always higher with 4k players in the Stack. 8{3

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1030324336
Sando wrote:

This ain't the time to be experimenting with new heroes. They're already going to be stressed by the expectations of their team mates, reaction times, positioning, decision making etc.

They're going to end up stressed anyway, because they won't understand the more advanced decision making skills of the better players. They won't know why they should be Ganking Mid instead of sitting with their Carry. They won't know why their Ward placement is "bad". They won't know why leaving the Lane to Gank instead of Farming and Pushing is bad.

There will be lots of mistakes that they never realised they have been making for the past few months in every single game they played. Playing something new is not going to change this. If anything, allowing yourself to take on an entirely different way of playing than before is going to help you shake off your bad habits, rather than doing almost the same thing you've done in low skill brackets.

You have to actively take a plunge into unknown and uncomfortable territory before you can really improve.

Besides, who expects much from 2k players, amiright? 8{3
Sando wrote:

They're going to learn a hell of a lot just by playing at that kind of standard. Throwing a new hero on top of that is too much. Stagnation is not an option :)

I really don't understand how trying something new in a video game is supposed to be stressful. If anything, having 4 supportive teammates as opposed to 4 angry ******s should encourage you to tinker about and have fun with something new, especially when you know you can rely on at least 1 of them to have good advise for you.

Would you rather try something new by yourself, develop bad habits and then struggle to overcome them after months of practise, or would you rather try something new and be warned about any bad habits before they become habits? Because of this, even if a mistake is explained to them, they can't always break free from it, even if they know they should. Bad habits dig in deep and don't come out if you're afraid to break your usual playing style.

rule]

Bunkansee wrote:

I want to play new roles but I don't even know where to begin, I think I'm stuck with support forever.

I've practised the basics, but I can't learn anymore unless I play a real match, but it I play a real match we lose, and it's all my fault...

How am I supposed to go about this?

Do it anyway! No one is going to expect you to succeed at something you're still learning straight away. Tbh, it's little bit...inaccurate to think that you'll hold the fate of the entire teamin your hands, at most you'll be responsible for 30 - 40% of it. Besides, even 3k players screw up when they play Heroes they're unfamiliar with, case in point:-

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1407504040

Before this game, he only played 1 Centaur game in the past 6 months and he has 1k MMR...higher than you, Bunkan 8{3

Look at Centaur Warrunner 's Skill Build. This is a 3k player not taking any points in Double Edge until lvl10. Did we get mad? No! We just laughed our arses off, whenever he started saying "I don't have enough damage to kill this guy!" X{D

He learned a lot from our friendly advice...just not enough since he still waits to skill it until lvl8! X{D

Almost anyone below 4k will make incredibly basic mistakes when they try a new Hero. So try a new Hero or Role next time you're in a 5-stack, cos believe me, it takes a LOT to do worse than some 3k players I know. 8{(

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » May 11, 2015 12:54am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

That's actually not true in most cases. Granted, there are exceptions like Meepo, but once you have the Basics down, you can play most Heroes reasonably well.

im going to agree with this so much because 4 months ago i was like ....

"i can only play these guys well blah blah blah"

then about 2 weeks ago i said im going to try invoker

4 games later in bots i found out ... hey hes actually easy to play all u need to learn is how to adjust to his play style..

so now i can play invoker which i NEVER thought i would say hahah

but then i randomed TA in a high skilled ranked game and i have played her ONCE and i failed so ******** hard.

BUT BUT BUT i adjusted within 2 minutes to her play style and went 22-4-19. now i can say

i can play TA

once you get to a certain level of skill and knowledge all it takes is adjusting to the heroes playstyle and everything is natural ....

except meepo ....

**** that guy haha

btw drow death ball

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1462814434

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved