Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Good Pub 5 Stack Drafts

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Good Pub 5 Stack Drafts 65 posts - page 4 of 7
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » May 11, 2015 1:15am | Report
Smuggels wrote:

then about 2 weeks ago i said im going to try invoker

4 games later in bots i found out ... hey hes actually easy to play all u need to learn is how to adjust to his play style..

Invoker is just tactile memory and adapting to remember the Cooldowns on his Spells without a visual aid. Would have thought it would take more than 4 games though... 8{O

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » May 11, 2015 1:20am | Report
good memory brah ;)

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » May 11, 2015 7:22am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

Invoker is just tactile memory and adapting to remember the Cooldowns on his Spells without a visual aid. Would have thought it would take more than 4 games though... 8{O

There's a lot more to Invoker than that, but it is mainly tactile memory, reflexes and cooldown management. However, the difference between me, who can do that, and someone like Black^ or ice3x is insane, and not just because of actual skill levels. The hardest part about Invoker is knowing which spell will be most useful in the current situation and seeing ahead to when you can use it. This basically means that you have to think ahead numerous seconds, depending on how long Invoke cooldown is.

Used perfectly, Invoker can basically win any engagement... used badly, he'll **** up everybody's combo.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » May 11, 2015 7:35am | Report
Terathiel wrote:

Used perfectly, Invoker can basically win any engagement... used badly, he'll **** up everybody's combo.

im pretty sure thats the way carl likes it ....

though i have trouble with the transition from engaging to disengaging i find its hard to transition well.

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » May 11, 2015 12:14pm | Report
Few lessons learnt yesterday:

1) Captain's Draft might be a good mode for us. It's a mix of random mode, with a small element of banning/picking by captains. Means we're not stuck with just meta-heroes, and the random element of available heroes means the other team can't use pre-planned wombo-combos. Both captains/teams have to be more reactive, and that suits us better.

2) Good picks/combos go a long way. We had a 50/50 record in the games I played last night. First one we put up a good show but got beaten up by better team fight (Wulfy learns limitations of glimmer cloak ;)). Second game we had some nice picks (Nubs Slark, Kainen Skywrath Mage, Xyrus Viper, Wulfy Earth Spirit, Sando Abaddon), snowballed pretty early, did some good combo breaking and generally worked together pretty well for an easy win.

Game 1

Game 2

Xyrus wrote:

I really don't understand how trying something new in a video game is supposed to be stressful. If anything, having 4 supportive teammates as opposed to 4 angry ******s should encourage you to tinker about and have fun with something new, especially when you know you can rely on at least 1 of them to have good advise for you.

Would you rather try something new by yourself, develop bad habits and then struggle to overcome them after months of practise, or would you rather try something new and be warned about any bad habits before they become habits? Because of this, even if a mistake is explained to them, they can't always break free from it, even if they know they should. Bad habits dig in deep and don't come out if you're afraid to break your usual playing style.

Well, a lot of people joining the stacks say "oh noes it's all people I know from Dotafire!" and how stressed they are by it :). I know in the past when I've been asked to play in games above my average skill level I've felt under more pressure than normal to try to do well and not let anybody down.

Much as I agree with some of your points about learning, I'd still much rather have a hero I know reasonably well and feel comfortable with. That way, when people highlight my errors I'll understand what I need to tweak and why, rather than just making bad decisions out of unfamiliarity.

Whenever you're trying to improve any set of skills, it's always much easier to just focus on 1-2 at a time instead of lots. If you're trying to play in a trilane (which you've done rarely before), stacking, roaming, harassing, setting up kills...all at a higher level than you're used to, AND you're trying to do it with a new hero...that's too much at once.

Much as we all try to advise each other in stacks, there's not much time ingame, generally mistakes get picked up after they're made ("why did you skill/build that?") by which time it's too late. There's no time to go through every decision, and we all tend to assume people know what they're going to do unless they ask.

Personally the thing that puts me off playing more than anything is the feeling that I let other people down when I care about their opinion. If it's a bunch of internet randoms I don't really care very much what they think, wheras I do care about what friends think.

Anyway, I do agree with your points about learning and breaking patterns (that stuff is important) but I think people need to get more comfortable with their new team mates before we get too into that.

If we can wrestle our win rate up to something a bit more respectable, I think we can afford to lose more games by experimenting more.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » May 11, 2015 1:05pm | Report
Sando wrote:

Well, a lot of people joining the stacks say 'oh noes it's all people I know from Dotafire!' and how stressed they are by it :). I know in the past when I've been asked to play in games above my average skill level I've felt under more pressure than normal to try to do well and not let anybody down.

I know the feel :)

First game I had with Smuggler felt like I had to justify my place in his stack. Then I discovered how hard he feeds and things got a lot less stressful after I carried his 0/37 Lina :D
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » May 11, 2015 1:45pm | Report
Sando wrote:

Second game we had some nice picks (Nubs Slark, Kainen Skywrath Mage, Xyrus Viper, Wulfy Earth Spirit, Sando Abaddon), snowballed pretty early, did some good combo breaking and generally worked together pretty well for an easy win.

Game 2

3 4ks, a 3k and a 2k...and yet no 4k players in the opposing 3 + 2 stacks 8{3
  • 187GPM 0-12-5 no Blink Batrider Mid
  • Midas + Dagon KoTL highest GPM
  • No TPs for Wulfstan 8{D
  • 15 minutes Aghs after Mek on Viper

...to think some people feel pressured when they play with 4k players X{D
Sando wrote:

Personally the thing that puts me off playing more than anything is the feeling that I let other people down when I care about their opinion. If it's a bunch of internet randoms I don't really care very much what they think, wheras I do care about what friends think.

I suppose so, but that still doesn't stop me from playing Heroes I'm weaker at in higher Skilled Stacks, I just do the usual thing and either wait and see what's needed and play that, or call a Pick before we even start queueing if there's something I particularly want to play.
Terathiel wrote:

I know the feel :)

First game I had with Smuggler felt like I had to justify my place in his stack. Then I discovered how hard he feeds and things got a lot less stressful after I carried his 0/37 Lina :D

This sounds an awful lot like Sando Mirana. 8{3

#SacredArrowMissedRoshan
#ShotsFired 8{3
Terathiel wrote:

The hardest part about Invoker is knowing which spell will be most useful in the current situation and seeing ahead to when you can use it. This basically means that you have to think ahead numerous seconds, depending on how long Invoke cooldown is.

Hmm, thought I missed something...now I know ._.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » May 11, 2015 1:52pm | Report
Hi guys, what can I do to try an in-house game with you? (or when is your next one).

I would like to be amongst all these 3k and 4k players and see if they are so good as they think they are next to people with supposedly low mmr :D

Terathiel, LOL!

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Steam: Chi-Chi
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » May 11, 2015 1:55pm | Report
ChiChi wrote:

Hi guys, what can I do to try an in-house game with you? (or when is your next one).

I would like to be amongst all these 3k and 4k players and see if they are so good as they think they are next to people with supposedly low mmr :D

Terathiel, LOL!

They're hosted whenever someone feels like hosting one, just keep a look out in the Inhouse section. They almost always will occur on the Weekend though. All you need to do to join is be a dotafire member, and post in the inhouse thread whether you will be attending or not.

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Bunkansee
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » May 11, 2015 2:05pm | Report
Thanks Bukan, I've found the inhouse thread now! Will be on the lookout :)

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Steam: Chi-Chi

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved