Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Xyrus's Inhouse Rant + Poll

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Inhouses » Xyrus's Inhouse Rant + Poll 81 posts - page 8 of 9

Poll Question:

What does an inhouse truly need (to get you to join) ? 8{3
It needs to start later for me
It needs to start earlier for me
It needs to be on a different server as my ping is bad on EU west
Different server AND earlier start
Different server AND later start
I play with friends / my team / other inhouse / etc.
I'm not interested in playing Captain's Mode
Other
I play in the inhouse already
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » September 23, 2015 3:13pm | Report
Some good open, honest comments here. I can see things from both sides.

I remember the first few times I played with particular groups of "higher skill" players and just desperately looking for my comfort zone and hoping I didn't screw up too badly. Yes, it's an extremely useful way of learning to get better. Yes, it can be scary and unpleasant.

Personally, I've generally been ok to take the knocks and not get too stressed out by them. Not everyone is the same, many other people learn a lot better in a less pressured environment.

I've also played games where I literally wanted to kill some of my team mates. OMG they are so bad, they keep making the same stupid mistakes. Their suckyness is making my good plays bad. They're throwing. They can't even do the basic, easiest things in the game. WTF are you doing here? Why are you there? Don't you realise you're about to feed? OMG, you're so stupid.

That isn't an inhouse btw, this could quite easily be an "equal MMR" pub game. DOTA is a frustrating game. Never mind miscommunication, differing skill levels etc, you're so reliant on your team doing their jobs. And everyone has a slightly different perspective on the whole thing.

The long and short of this though is that loud and clear from the less experienced players is that most of them are intimidated by the experience and scared of being shouted at for not being better and more experienced than they are. That despite the best intentions of the more experienced players, what they're doing is generally harmful.

I do totally get the frustration and stuff, but at the end of the day despite is being a "10 stack" we don't really play together that regularly, and rarely have the same people on the teams, so communication/teamwork is never going to be that strong without a sustained run.

Personally, I think we need to focus on having a friendly environment as the no #1 priority. I'd rather lose a fun game than win a ****py horrible one. Maybe some future inhouses should have the tag "friendly" and absolutely mean it. Have a laugh, don't go super try hard, if you're experienced, play your worst hero and suck. If everyone does the same, it'll be fun.

One of the funny things about teaching is that it's much more effective as an interactive process - for example, someone will find it much easier to ask you a question if you've already asked them one about something.

Maybe we even do something stupid like pick teams with 5 support heroes each, or 5 out and out gankers with bad scaling. Or 5 ridiculous team fight heroes on each side. Really focus the game around one particular aspect. I think this might lead to a lot more learning overall.
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » September 23, 2015 5:59pm | Report
okay serious smuggles time.

1. Salt

i thought i would address this first to get it out of the way. i get salty when i tell someone something for example. "move to the left when you TP in because blah blah blah" then they dont do it and **** hits the fan we lose a fight and everything goes south... the difference is tone. tone and construction is everything. if you ask someone "WHY DID YOU DO THAT!" your instantly putting someone on the defensive.

construct your sentence and control your tone.

"WHY DID YOU DO THAT?"

to

"hey dude sorry if i didnt speak loud enough before but i did ask you to move to the left when you tp, what made you move to the right?"

how you say things is very important and honestly i only know this because i have been within a corporate environment and i am a public speaker. cadence tone construction is very important to improvement and positivity.

BUT this is not a one way street. The REASON that people who are more experienced get salty is that when we explain or take the time to tell you something we are doing so in the mindset of winning and improving. if we tell you to do A the 90% of the time there is a good reason for it and when someone completely ignores or disregards that piece of advice they are not just being rude, they are being disrespectful to the time and effort we have put into learning this game and the moment it took to think OF someone else in the hope to help them improve their play.

so it is both sides.

think about HOW and WHAT you say and also respect What they say.

2.Again. HAVE INHOUSES THAT ARE DIFFERENT!! if you want a serious one then put the serious tag, i go into all inhouses just being stupid and having a laugh HENCE TECHIESSSSS

if your going into it like a scrim or a tournament your going to get salty.

3. i like captains mode. it is great way to improve your play in totality. some dont. i will roll with whatevs cause .... australian.

Warnings.

waloo pls calm down a bit in regards to people explaining there feelings.
chichi pls back off a bit, badgering is not the way to get a point across.

all of you raise great points but i will say this now.

honest and useful explanations are fine and in honesty are what was needed to improve and progress the inhouse experience but if i see any more directed responses that devolve away from the crux of the issue i wont be happy.

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Kyphoid returns » September 23, 2015 9:54pm | Report
Smuggels wrote:

okay serious smuggles time.

1. Salt

i thought i would address this first to get it out of the way. i get salty when i tell someone something for example. "move to the left when you TP in because blah blah blah" then they dont do it and **** hits the fan we lose a fight and everything goes south... the difference is tone. tone and construction is everything. if you ask someone "WHY DID YOU DO THAT!" your instantly putting someone on the defensive.

construct your sentence and control your tone.

"WHY DID YOU DO THAT?"

to

"hey dude sorry if i didnt speak loud enough before but i did ask you to move to the left when you tp, what made you move to the right?"

how you say things is very important and honestly i only know this because i have been within a corporate environment and i am a public speaker. cadence tone construction is very important to improvement and positivity.

BUT this is not a one way street. The REASON that people who are more experienced get salty is that when we explain or take the time to tell you something we are doing so in the mindset of winning and improving. if we tell you to do A the 90% of the time there is a good reason for it and when someone completely ignores or disregards that piece of advice they are not just being rude, they are being disrespectful to the time and effort we have put into learning this game and the moment it took to think OF someone else in the hope to help them improve their play.

so it is both sides.

think about HOW and WHAT you say and also respect What they say.

2.Again. HAVE INHOUSES THAT ARE DIFFERENT!! if you want a serious one then put the serious tag, i go into all inhouses just being stupid and having a laugh HENCE TECHIESSSSS

3. i like captains mode. it is great way to improve your play in totality. some dont. i will roll with whatevs cause .... australian.

Warnings.

waloo pls calm down a bit in regards to people explaining there feelings.

honest and useful explanations are fine and in honesty are what was needed to improve and progress the inhouse experience but if i see any more directed responses that devolve away from the crux of the issue i wont be happy.

Criticism is the heat of improvement.
People should take it as such and not as a personal comment.
The critique should also reflect that. Not aimed as judgement but as a critique.
Sadly, humans are emotional beings.

Agree with smuggels and i am repeating myself again :
Lay down the meta rule to an inhouse. Why you come together to play.....should be the core of the opening post of every in house thread.
Go On, Feed Me.

Kyphoid returns

Remarkable (42)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » September 23, 2015 11:52pm | Report
masaaki14 wrote:

Hey man, i was thinking if we have someone who could coach as well as purge can( smuggs i'm looking at you), He can definitely help newbies get accustomed to the levels of play that the more experienced players play in. Also, having someone to just watch over you, not the kind of coach that shouts at everything and tells you what to do specifically at every point of the game, but one who just makes sure you don't make any stupid decisions( like rushing radiance on abbadon straight after brown boots with nothing else, camping mid for over 5 mins at the 20min mark as a carry staring at the enemy team, or rushing into a tower with no vision of any enemies)

Just someone who can help you make decisions(by suggestions, not orders) would help tremendously in my opinion.

im more then happy too :) im always there to help new players and to further along the improvement of the less experienced :D

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » September 24, 2015 2:05am | Report
Smuggels wrote:

I would not say badgering cause I sucked that game and that was exactly my point, but yeah, you're right Smug, sorry.

I will be hoping for those "themed" in-houses to come to life.

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Steam: Chi-Chi
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » September 24, 2015 3:05am | Report
I am happy we all could get this out in the open. Hope that the inhouse would be less stressful now.

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » September 24, 2015 3:27am | Report

WOOOSAAHHHHH WOOOOOOOOOSAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » September 24, 2015 4:09am | Report
You know what the worst part is? I'll describe my own experience. I queue up, solo or with you guys, that is beside the point. I usually always end up picking whatever the team requires on the spot, so that already takes out the enjoyment out of it for me. I can't play what I want, I play what is needed. I want to play SF, but we need support, but I don't want to play anything meta, say I pick Visage just to spice it up for myself.

I already get judged by many for picking something that is not in the meta, be it solo or queued with you guys(even the slight why Visage or why did you pick that makes me deterred already).

Then I see all these mistakes, but I handle I up until that point where I just lose it. People expect me to apologize after that, which I do, even though I know it is not going to make up for me shouting at you for 30 minutes plus. Then you say I ruin your game experience. Couldn't agree more.

But nobody is concerned about my experience in the game. Allow me to explain. From my point of view, you all start out extremely motivated to win the game, the you do all these mistakes and you just start "not to care anymore". I strongly believe that you wouldn't play the game unless you would think that you have a chance to win. Heck, that's why we don't have a FF function in pubs compared to other mobas. So does anyone ever apologize for ruining my game experience? Of course not. Everyone is having giggles and saying that they play for fun. From my point of view, that's a facade you use to comfort yourselves for losing the game. While you are there having giggles, I'm contemplating on the game itself and still trying to win it.

However, I never absolutely never go on a rampage outside the game. You all know the salt is only in the game, never outside it. It's just not me, and that is why I think I'm not regarded as a jerk or a **** IRL. (or even on the Internet outside the game). If anyone has a different opinion, please come out and tell it to my face. No tip-going, just say it. The thing I hate the most is people that pretend to like me.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sinured » September 24, 2015 8:19am | Report
This thread was very active the last days and i think theres not much more to say. Its much about attitude of how to handle with it
Smuggels wrote:

Exactly that, this reminds me of our Techies, Magnus, Tusk, Pudge, Viper game. We had much fun and more than the enemy sadly because they took it way to serious. In this moment its wasnt about winning, it was about doing the most suicidal things possible and to try to get the most kills with it.
For me the inhouse is for entertaining matches and not for the most tryharding stuff.
I remember when I were captain from time to time, I didnt know whether we play funny stuff or tryhard stuff. Dotafire's community isnt suited for serious gaming, for this the spread of skilllevel is way to high and for serious gaming theres something called ranked.

Sinured

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (2)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » September 24, 2015 10:01am | Report
^ perfectly concluded :D

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved