Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Xyrus's Inhouse Rant + Poll

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Inhouses » Xyrus's Inhouse Rant + Poll 81 posts - page 4 of 9

Poll Question:

What does an inhouse truly need (to get you to join) ? 8{3
It needs to start later for me
It needs to start earlier for me
It needs to be on a different server as my ping is bad on EU west
Different server AND earlier start
Different server AND later start
I play with friends / my team / other inhouse / etc.
I'm not interested in playing Captain's Mode
Other
I play in the inhouse already
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » September 23, 2015 3:26am | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

Inhouses in "remote" parts of the world are just not happening because of lack of people. We're already doing them in Europe servers which should mean that people from Europe, Russia AND the US should be able to join with a decent ping, which includes the vast majority of people on the site. And even then...we still lack players.

True for most regions, but I think with the US players, time is an issue as well. Bear in mind that 4:30 Luxembourg time is very early in most of America, Sterling VA is 6 hours behind Luxembourg and that's the East Coast...I think...
Hamstertamer wrote:

By the way, maybe it could be an idea to do some games on US east servers, maybe for a part of the games at least. Personally from Europe I have a perfectly decent ping on US east (~100 ms) so maybe it could be a better solution in average for people who have a bad ping on EU west. Thoughts?

...this is why I'm planning on hosting a seperate US inhouse, much later in the day, but I don't want to take it too late as this will prevent many EU Players from joining. We've already tried hosting US inhouses before, but there was a lack of response. Hopefully, now, things will be different.

To all those willing to play in a US Inhouse, how does US East 11:30 (ETZ / UTC - 5) sound? That should be 9:30a.m. for West US, right?

As for SEA, Smuggles recently made a half-arsed attempt at holding an inhouse after being bullied into it (I helped 8{3 ). We certainy have enough SEA players to round up for an inhouse, but the main problem there appears to be a huge diversity in our SEA players' timeframes. Some wanted morning, some wanted evening, some wanted Saturday, some wanted Sunday. I think we need a much higher player base for this region, but that's something I'll look into after I get some more results from this thread.
Hamstertamer wrote:

Xyrus = EE sama confirmed :)

How did you know that I'm his secret alt account? 8{3

Edit: I don't care that I'm double posting, my posts are getting ridiculously long in this thread 8{3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » September 23, 2015 4:41am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

For example, I played a game last night. There were 3 of us Mid, and we could see 2 enemies Mid (there was also a 3rd, Invis Hero, but that's hindsight). One of the visible Heroes was Enigma, he'd been Jungling the entire time and now he showed up on the cliff by the secret shop at around 8:39. 8:55, he starts moving further forward, walking straight up to the 3 of us. I backed up out of Black Hole Range but staying in Range to cancel it, while one of the others popped Smoke of Deceit, LITERALLY less than 100 units away from Enigma, the other just stood there. 8:59 - eziest 2man Black Hole of that Enigma's life.

I can understand how Wulfstan, Waloo and the like get stressed out easily in these Situations ^ , simply because it stresses me out too. In my rage, I ended up overcommitting...I immediately cancelled the Black Hole, then I drove forward a little bit and killed the Enigma, but by that time, there was a new 3rd Hero who managed to lock me down and secure my death as well. I know salting people over these things isn't going to help, but it is oh so very tempting. Let's face it though, if people are having trouble focusing and reacting in a game, salting them can only make it worse.

Btw, this is the game that Xyrus is talking about: http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1812763077

Where the only person that played good was actually Timminator, who curiously didn't complain at all about his teammates during the entire game :P

(note that he didn't do it also because he knows that we probably were aware of what mistakes we made; we just commited them anyways, for different reasons, which I will not be listing here because that's beside the point)

If this doesn't help getting to the bottom of the "boss-the-others-around-cause-all-suck-and-I-know-how-to-correctly-react-to-every-situation" not helping others and even yourself, I don't know what will.

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Steam: Chi-Chi
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » September 23, 2015 4:54am | Report
dat feed xyrus .... wot the hell happened ! haha

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » September 23, 2015 5:01am | Report
Smuggels wrote:

dat feed xyrus .... wot the hell happened ! haha

Massive tilt that night T-T

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » September 23, 2015 5:08am | Report
You guys got rekt. Was xyrus mid BTW?

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sando » September 23, 2015 5:29am | Report
I think this just illustrates some of the different tensions that exist when you have a broad range of skills playing in the same game.

The less experienced players generally feel a lot of pressure to perform and are routinely taken out of their comfort zone by the picks, formations and opposition.

The more experienced players generally struggle to find the right balance of offering help, advice and not getting frustrated by "obvious" (to them) mistakes.

And it's not like you can have a 1 size fits all solution - different players may or not want help, aren't comfortable in particular roles, heroes etc. Being nagged or salted may help them, or may leave them demoralised.

Personally, I think the solution to this is to take things down a notch - less serious, less win focused. Something like:

- Let the less experienced players choose their own hero

- More experienced players volunteer something from their "least played" list and/or have their hero chosen for them by the opposition.

No doubt this immediately means some genius will give me Techies, but whatever, it will make for a better game to have everyone on a more level playing field, with less pressure and a lot more room for mistakes.

Should lead to some slightly comical games, experienced players will more focused on trying to master whatever weird and wonderful stuff they've been given, but are still available to offer advice when asked for. Also a good chance to develop their hero pool away from pubs. Less experienced players get to use heroes they like in a harder environment, and can get used to the kinds of formations, play patterns and expectations team mates will have.

E.g. My unplayed heroes includes: Pudge, Invoker, Chen, Winter Wyvern, Terrorblade
A full list of my guides is here

Sando
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (118)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » September 23, 2015 5:53am | Report
Sando wrote:

- More experienced players volunteer something from their "least played" list and/or have their hero chosen for them by the opposition.[/b][/color]

No doubt this immediately means some genius will give me Techies, but whatever, it will make for a better game to have everyone on a more level playing field, with less pressure and a lot more room for mistakes.

This is actually a very good idea. Please implement and ban Techies in respect for the fact that Sando's the author of the idea :P

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Steam: Chi-Chi
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » September 23, 2015 6:00am | Report
I think at the very least we should have some games which are not quite as serious as they usually are. I remember when I first joined an in-house and we played Reverse Captains mode, I had to play PA and I literally had no idea how to, but nobody really cared that I played like ****, it was actually fun and more.. relaxed.

Not saying we should play all random or ARDM or RCM but, I'd at least prefer a more "play for fun" kind of environment instead of "play to win". Where if I make the stupidest mistake we can just laugh about it instead of rage about it.

I'm not sure if in-houses are intended to be this competitive, but that's really how they feel from my perspective.

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Bunkansee
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » September 23, 2015 6:00am | Report
Sando wrote:

Personally, I think the solution to this is to take things down a notch - less serious, less win focused. Something like:

- More experienced players volunteer something from their "least played" list and/or have their hero chosen for them by the opposition.

I'm not so sure this is a solution to the problem. Just indirectly "nerfing" the more experienced players is going to make the inhouse less fun for them and isn't going to decrease the amount of mistakes the newer players make, it will only increase the overall amount of mistakes made. This will only add more frustration.
Bunkansee wrote:

I think at the very least we should have some games which are not quite as serious as they usually are. I remember when I first joined an in-house and we played Reverse Captains mode, I had to play PA and I literally had no idea how to, but nobody really cared that I played like ****, it was actually fun and more.. relaxed.

We have the Custom Games inhouse for this. 8{3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Bunkansee » September 23, 2015 6:07am | Report
Xyrus wrote:

We have the Custom Games inhouse for this. 8{3

Well yeah, and I actually played at that inhouse last time ^^

Bunkansee
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (32)
Steam: Bunkansee

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved